Multiplier rule did what it was suppose to do!

UCSportsFan

I know 37421, 37421 is a friend of mine, and you sir are no 37421.

You were making an arguement about retired NFL players as coaches in your prior post...now you say that it doesn't apply. So you are making some progress toward reality.

I think you are right about more broken homes in public schools, but it's unfortunately pretty common in ALL schools these days. Money does make a big difference. Most of the families of the D1 private schools have much less of it because of the big tuition bills they pay. They have to here in Chattanooga because the public school system is in shambles. I know many parents that do not fund retirement plans, take no family vacations, work extra jobs or the grandparents pay so their kids can get a quality education. As far a discipline the Christian based private schools often take in kids that were kicked out of the public schools and tries to make a difference in the childs life...mostly by loving the child first, then educating them. We have dicipline problems also and more often than not go the extra mile to try to save the student having (or causing) problems. This is not for sports but because it is the right thing to do.

Our facilities are the worse we play in. Our kids have to dress in shifts because there is not enough room in our locker rooms. Please do not talk to the D1 privates about how much money we have. With that said everyone enjoys playing the privates with the multiplier. After all we are now half your size. Whatever classification you are in multiply it by 1.8 and go play in that classification for a season, then come back and we'll talk.

We...Trousdale...Cannon Co...Jackson Co...Upperman...YAI all did it for 4 seasons. What would you like to talk about?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can assure you that many private schools don't have any advantage over public schools. It might be the case in some situations but not in all cases. Temple started its program a few years ago but the outlook for the future is very bleak. I would say that after next year the school will no longer have a football program. That's sad but true. But anyway, if our public schools would straighten up and make some changes for the good -- we wouldn't have to have private schools.

I can assure you that many private schools don't have any advantage over public schools. It might be the case in some situations but not in all cases. Temple started its program a few years ago but the outlook for the future is very bleak. I would say that after next year the school will no longer have a football program. That's sad but true. But anyway, if our public schools would straighten up and make some changes for the good -- we wouldn't have to have private schools.

Good Point!!!

Yes I can.

REAL ADVANTAGE #3: Equipment and facilities. The supporters (parents and alumni) of private schools funnel lots of money into their athletics programs. This provides state of the art equipment and facilities for many of these private schools. Public schools are constantly struggling for money. Don't need to say much more about that as we are all taxpayers!

Some of the nicest facilities belong to Public Schools with strong booster organizations. Consider Marshall County, White House, Hendersonville and I'm sure there are others. There is also better stadium facilities in the publics. I have also seen some very nice baseball facilities. Marshall County Coach left Stratford. He came to a place with facilities. He would never had gotten it at Stratford. Maurice Fitzgerald will never get any at Pearl Cohn. I think we are now entering a new topic of conversation: Its Public/Private, Its also Urban/Rural.

Your Real Advantage #3 is not holding alot of water. Greenbrier is now to the level if the Coach got some folks together, they probably could get a indoor facility done.

If there is no advantage...then why is there a MULTIPLIER?????

The urban/rural thing...huh....????????????

If this is not changed then the courts will change it for the TSSAA and Ronnie knows it is coming.....the multiplier will be forced out as discriminatory and then you shall have separation.......check your other states to verify.

I am willing to argue with anyone about this dumb rule. MY tiny private school who belongs in 1a and got moved up to 2a this year and gets pounded. We have no advantages. Show me proof that if the playing field was level that private schools would have the upper hand

I agree there are a ton of private school in the state that stink at football. the rule was made for 2 or 3 schools in each classification. and when the state figured out that their public schools were getting beat by a few private schools (private schools are allowed to be good at sports) they changed the rules to make the publics look better. simple as that

a HUGE advantage I saw at MBA vs. the metro public school where my mom taught is that at places like MBA and BA (not sure about other smaller private schools) you HAD to play after-school sports. No PE classes. So, there was already a captive audience. Plus, it meant you couldn't get an after school job ( at MBA school policy was that you couldn't get an after-school job). So, there were plenty of great athletes roaming the halls that simply would rather work than put in the time to play sports, especially when the team was not successful. Coaches were constantly begging kids to come out and play. Many parents were indifferent. The worse the team, the more the indifference.

another big advantage at the highest levels is coaching accountability. It is my understanding that no public school teacher (or coach) can have anything--pay, promotion, etc.--tied to performance, per the teachers' union contract. So, many coaches have no incentive to do more. Many (not all certainly) just sort of take a "cest la vie" attitude; they can't get fired for doing bad. Can't get rewarded for doing well. In a lot of cases, it's hard to blame them.

There are a million more subtle differences I saw. for example, I'd say 95% of the kids I played football at MBA with had cars. Or had a friend with a car that could take them to/from after-school practice. At my mom's school, only a small fraction had cars...and the parents (or parent) worked and could get the child to/from practice. Buses were done for the day....so again, kids wouldn't come out for the team because they had no way to get home from practice...

as for the multiplier, I doubt it will satisfy anyone in the long term because the very reason for DII--BA's 2 5A titles in 95 and 96--happened while private schools were playing with a de facto multiplier. BA, with less than 400 students, was playing at 5A against schools with 2000 students. Some people are just better at what they do than others. If the playing field is completely level in 4A, then why has Maryville dominated the way they have for the past several years? No private school has ever dominated a class that consistently as has Maryville in 4A.

Moving this thread only frustrates people. How can this be moved when the multiplier pushed more private schools in with public schools? In essence I cannot discuss a team in my region on the main thread. How does that work???? Open debate...I think not.

You can discuss every team in your region in the Football forum as long as you are discussing football. Your reasoning is exactly why there is a Public-Private Debate board and why this thread belongs in it.

We...Trousdale...Cannon Co...Jackson Co...Upperman...YAI all did it for 4 seasons. What would you like to talk about?

Ain't one, my friend. I know why the Trousdale Dodgers did it. Their coach Clint Satterfield and Ronnie Carter got together and helped put together this system we have now. I think I remember you saying Smith County, your school, moved up in classification to play teams closer to you. (or something like that) The more I see on these boards from some of the Smith County posteres makes me think you made the move for the same reason as TC did. Now I don't want to turn this into a TC bashing board, but it is so easy. I just wonder if they really think they are the BEST team their size in the state. CPA, DCA, Boyd and others would have crushed them. I am all for a split, I know for a fact there is movement among the privates to split off, just don't know when. I think soon, probably not this year though. We all know that would be for the best. The disadvantage to the publics and TSSAA will be the money they will lose. I for one am so tired of the bickering. I would much rather just play the private schools in D1 and then everyone will be happy. We could even have a Superbowl system, privates vs publics winners in each classification. Just in case yall want to know who the best teams in the state really are. :thumb:

AMEN!!! You are exactly right. The people in the rural schools don't understand how bad the public schools are in the bigger cities. I'm talking about the education, as you are. It is hard to get a quality education in larger cities. Now that is why you and I send our kids to school where we do, because we want them to receive a good education. We also want them to get a Christian education.

Now, on to sports. It is great when those public schools crush you and your start up program. Ronnie Carter is blind to that. Yall just be everyones homecoming game a few seasons. When you start to win, we'll that is where their system broke down. That is why they want you to play schools twice your size. After all, aren't your alumni rich? Don't you have an NFL player coaching your team? Aren't your facilities the best of any school you'll play? Do you have a regular colusssium or is it a dome? How many athletes have you recruited with all the money you have? You and I know how ridiculous all this is, but trying to get that through to these people is impossible. I would just say to Temple, hang on. Help is on the way. It will just take some time to get things organized.