Chattanooga Area top 5

Here it goes:

1. Bradley Central(5-2)-Jackie Pickel is playing a good as ever, if someone else steps up and scores, this team could be trouble.

2. Cleveland(6-0)- With the return of Kerri Simpson on the horizon, and a team that is already 6-0 with a big win over McMinn Co, this team may be best in area.

3. McMinn Co.(4-2)-Close loses to Jackson Co. and Cleveland, puts McMinn at 3rd in my poll. They field one of the best starting fives in the area, but are short on the bench.

4.Walker Valley(5-0)- Weak schedule may be the reason they are undeafeated, but their still undeafeated.

5. I have no clue, someone fill it in

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you from Cleveland?

Is Cumberland Co. in the Chattanooga area?

If they are, they have to be in the top 5.

5. Tyner

6. Brainerd

7. CCS

8. GPS

9. Grace

10. Boyd

These six are probably the only teams to speak of in the Chattanooga city limits.

I agree with your top four. Walker Valley-Bradley-Cleveland games will be fun to watch.

Are you from Cleveland?

5. Tyner

6. Brainerd

7. CCS

8. GPS

9. Grace

10. Boyd

These six are probably the only teams to speak of in the Chattanooga city limits.

I agree with your top four. Walker Valley-Bradley-Cleveland games will be fun to watch.

Well since the topic says Chattanooga Area......You could put Grundy County in there and possibly Sequatchie County....

Are you from Cleveland?

5. Tyner

6. Brainerd

7. CCS

8. GPS

9. Grace

10. Boyd

Yeah, I'm from Cleveland, i wasn't considering Cumberland Co. as Chattanooga Area, but if I did they would be Number 1..anyone think I should consider them in my next poll?

I think the talent in Chattanooga is more spread out. Cleveland has more talent and only three schools.

Also, it starts in elementary school for Cleveland girls and basketball is the only sport.

Girls are much more divided in Chattanooga. Soccer, volleyball and softball are strong. There is too much compitition for off season play and select teams.

There is not much for AAU in Chattanooga. The best players play on out of town teams, although I think that is improving.

If you don't play AAU in Cleveland, you don't play middle school or high school basketball. Most Chattanooga teams (the better ones) have 2-3 players who play AAU and thats it. Other teams have none and it shows.

As for AAU, the best players in the Cleveland-Bradley County also play out of town. There are no AAU programs around here. Most go to middle Tennessee or Knoxville to play.

Bradley and Cleveland also put a lot of emphasis on soccer, volleyball and softball in the high schools. Also, girls track and cross country is big at these schools, so the basketball players do usually play more than one sport.

True, you pretty much must play AAU to play middle school ball. If you don't start playing that at a young age, then you get behind. I don't understand why the girls in Chattanooga don't play AAU. Coaches and parents should see to it that they begin that at an early age, else they will continue never being able to compete with anyone except each other.

The fundamental skills level is what I see as very weak in the Chatt schools that we play. It is not the coaching. I think the coach at Red Bank has done a remarkable job, and the Baylor coach is also. But, you can only do so much as a coach if the players have not been dedicated at an early age.

As for AAU, the best players in the Cleveland-Bradley County also play out of town. There are no AAU programs around here. Most go to middle Tennessee or Knoxville to play.

Bradley and Cleveland also put a lot of emphasis on soccer, volleyball and softball in the high schools. Also, girls track and cross country is big at these schools, so the basketball players do usually play more than one sport.

True, you pretty much must play AAU to play middle school ball. If you don't start playing that at a young age, then you get behind. I don't understand why the girls in Chattanooga don't play AAU. Coaches and parents should see to it that they begin that at an early age, else they will continue never being able to compete with anyone except each other.

The fundamental skills level is what I see as very weak in the Chatt schools that we play. It is not the coaching. I think the coach at Red Bank has done a remarkable job, and the Baylor coach is also. But, you can only do so much as a coach if the players have not been dedicated at an early age.

I agree with you on most of your comments, however your comment regarding the lack of good AAU programs in Cleveland is just not true.

I'm aware of your connections to the Insells and the SSS/Flight but that still does not allow you to state a falsehood.

The Topguns, Liberty, and Cleveland Hoopstars are suppling on a % basis the majority of the local starting basketball players for both the MS and HS. These 3 organizations have provided and continue to provide the local area basketball players with an ability to continue improving their skills while playing against other high quality teams.

I have no problem with the fact that a few of the local players such as yours have played with other outside the area teams but the majority either have played only for local AAU teams or for a large part of their AAU careers for local teams.

I believe the strong elementary and local AAU teams are what sets Cleveland apart from Chattanooga in BB. I have had many local coaches of HS and MS say the same.

Edited by SETNsports