Franklin High Rebels

givbakr2

Hillsboro played Franklin High at Franklin on Fri. Dec 2,2005 I know their nickname or mascot is the rebels ,but during the playing of the National Anthem there was no U.S. flag present and seemingly most all the Franklin fans and players turned and saluted the confederate flag.I don't want to make this a racial issue and it doesn't have to be because with what our country is going thru right now just the disrespect shown by this act is enough for people to be outraged.If I am wrong about this incident please someone correct me.Is this something new because I have been to Franklin numerous times and can't remeber this happening before. :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No U.S. flag anywhere?? Boy, I sure hope there is one.

If not, we all need to call Franklin High School till they get one. Espically if there a going to sing the National Anthem.

There has to be a logical explanation for this?

I haven't been in the Franklin gym this season, but they have always had a flag. Maybe it got lost during the constrution. Most of the time they use the ROTC color guard , too.

I haven't been in the Franklin gym this season, but they have always had a flag. Maybe it got lost during the constrution. Most of the time they use the ROTC color guard , too.

Maybe we need to here from some of the rebel faithful because the construction, as nice as it is, had nothing to do with the gym and the ROTC was not in attendance.If they had time to put up the confederate flag then there was time for the U.S.Flag.Practically everyone on the Franklin side turning to the confederate flag appeared rehearsed.Again,if I am wrong please tell me so,but maybe and most of the time doesn't cut it.

There is no Confederate flag flying in the Franklin HS gym and in the 7 years I have been involved with the program there has not been such a flag flown in the gym. The gym facility has not been completed. There were numerous team pictures, championship banners, team rosters, etc. that were taken down prior to renovation. This includes the American flag. None of these items have been put back up as the renovation is not complete. As to why the school administation did not have a ROTC honor guard in attendance with the flag to play the national anthem, I cannot say. That question should be asked of the administration.

Now, finally, the following is to "givbakr2", whoever you might be. I was at the game in question as I have a child who plays for Franklin. Where you observed the fans turning to the confederate flag during the national anthem I have no idea.

This simply did not happen as you alledge. Although you say in your post that, "I don't want to make this a racial issue", that is exactly what I think you are trying to do.....stir things up with your agenda.

By the way, I am a Vietnam-era veteran and in no way was I offended by anything that happened that night. By the way "givbakr2, whoever you are, are you a veteran of our nation's armed forces?....I didn't think so.

There is no Confederate flag flying in the Franklin HS gym and in the 7 years I have been involved with the program there has not been such a flag flown in the gym. The gym facility has not been completed. There were numerous team pictures, championship banners, team rosters, etc. that were taken down prior to renovation. This includes the American flag. None of these items have been put back up as the renovation is not complete. As to why the school administation did not have a ROTC honor guard in attendance with the flag to play the national anthem, I cannot say. That question should be asked of the administration.

Now, finally, the following is to "givbakr2", whoever you might be. I was at the game in question as I have a child who plays for Franklin. Where you observed the fans turning to the confederate flag during the national anthem I have no idea.

This simply did not happen as you alledge. Although you say in your post that, "I don't want to make this a racial issue", that is exactly what I think you are trying to do.....stir things up with your agenda.

By the way, I am a Vietnam-era veteran and in no way was I offended by anything that happened that night. By the way "givbakr2, whoever you are, are you a veteran of our nation's armed forces?....I didn't think so.

Tiger 68 I heard you the first time.I didn't have the opportunity to serve our country Thank you for doing so,you are mistaken about the flag and the issue is still not racial .The question I raised was one of misguided patrioitism and because I didn't serve doesn't make me any less patriotic than you or anyone else.I stand by my statement although I would be glad to be wrong about this.

I have two children who play for Hillsboro and everyone on our side of the floor was shocked at the display.

Edited by givbakr2

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is an actual Confederate flag in the gym, but there is a picture of a rebel with a Confederate flag. I believe the picture is near where the flag is (or was), so everyone may have been turning out of habit. Regardless, Franklin needs to put up the flag to avoid any bad publicity or potential bad blood.

If you are on the side of the gym where the players sit and look to your right where everyone saw the Rebel Flag painted on the wall, that is where our flag used to hang. Out of habit everyone turned that way and by no means were saluting the Rebel Flag. I am sorry if you misunderstood and I am sorry that we did not have a flag up at the time. As a player it would have been nice to have something to look at. Tonight we played Independence (2nd home game) and the color guard WAS there. It is our last home game at Franklin till after Christmas. The gym is being taken over for 3 weeks for painting. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I believe Franklin High still holds respect from other schools.