The Boston Red Sox gave up on Edgar Renteria just one year after lavishing a four-year, $40 million contract on him, trading the shortstop to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for third base prospect Andy Marte.

Red Sox bail on Renteria; grab Marte

The Boston Red Sox gave up on Edgar Renteria just one year after lavishing a four-year, $40 million contract on him, trading the shortstop to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for third base prospect Andy Marte.

The move left Boston without a shortstop, but Red Sox senior adviser Bill Lajoie denied a much-rumored deal that would wheel Marte to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Julio Lugo. Lajoie said he expected to see Marte play for the Red Sox this year, putting him in the outfield or first base if it's necessary to get his bat in the lineup.

"We want to keep that player. ... He's ready to have a good year," said Lajoie, one of four Boston executives at the winter meetings in the absence of a general manager. "He would be one of the five players you would want to start a ballclub with."

The Braves needed a shortstop after Rafael Furcal agreed to a three-year, $39 million free agent contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"We had a significant gap to fill, and we believe we've done that," Braves GM John Schuerholz said. "As painful as it is to trade a player with Marte's caliber, it needed to be done. The Red Sox got a fine young player, and we're delighted to have Edgar Renteria with the Atlanta Braves."

Renteria made the last out for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, when Boston won it all for the first time since 1918. Then, the Red Sox made him the centerpiece of their effort to repeat.

But he led the majors with 30 errors in '05, struggling at the plate in April and finishing with a .276 average, eight homers and 70 RBIs. The Red Sox had been hoping for something more like the .330 average, 13 homers and 100 RBIs he had when he won his second consecutive Gold Glove in 2003.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We were aware of it (the dropoff), of course," Schuerholz said. "But we looked at his time in the National League and we believe that when he gets back to the National League in Atlanta he will return to the Renteria of old."

What went wrong for Renteria?

"There was an adjustment period that may have lasted longer than you had hoped," Lajoie said.

Marte, 22, batted .275 with 20 homers and 74 RBIs in 109 games in Triple-A last season, and .140 with no homers and four RBIs in 24 games with the Braves.

"This is a throwback type of third baseman," said Lajoie, a throwback type of GM. "This is the power corner that you hope will hit 25 homers when he does play in the majors."

Boston will pay $8 million of the $26 million Renteria is owed for the next three seasons. In addition, the Red Sox must pay the $3 million buyout if his $11 million option for 2009 is declined.

"Both were significant, in this day and age," Schuerholz said.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another great move by John Schuerholz with Furcal leaving for the Dodgers the Braves needed a shortstop and Renteria is a pretty good one. Marte would have been setting with Chipper's new contract proving he will be in Atlanta for several more years it will give the Braves time to produce another 3rd base prospect for the future and Wilson Betemit has finally proven he can be a solid backup a 3rd or short.

I also thought it was a good trade with sending Johnny Estrada to the Diamondbacks for pitchers Lance Cormier & Oscar Villarreal especially Cormier who was 7-3 last season and with Estrada being hurt some it allowed Rookie Brian McCann to show that he can be the catcher of the future. Plus sending Dan Kolb back to the the Brewers for Wes Obermueller who can be a starter and relief pitcher.

Now if we can just find that big time closer! :D

Kudos to Big John again. The only thing is though that Miguel Tejada just requested a trade today. I know the Braves were one of the teams really after him after he left Oakland two years ago. Personally I think we all know Tejada is better but NO ONE can complain about getting Renteria. I think it would be great if we could trade him to Baltimore for Tejada now. I havent heard any talks yet but who knows it could happen. But if not still a GREAT pickup.

Kudos to Big John again. The only thing is though that Miguel Tejada just requested a trade today. I know the Braves were one of the teams really after him after he left Oakland two years ago. Personally I think we all know Tejada is better but NO ONE can complain about getting Renteria. I think it would be great if we could trade him to Baltimore for Tejada now. I havent heard any talks yet but who knows it could happen. But if not still a GREAT pickup.

Tejada wouldnt even be a possibility unless they could get the O's to pick up a huge chunk of his salary! He is making almost $11M per year!!!!

Plus they had to have a leadoff hitter in that position!!!!

Edited by gotmilk?

Julio Franco Signs Two-Year Contract With Mets

The 47-year-old first baseman becomes the latest Braves veteran to depart for Shea Stadium, after agreeing with the New York Mets on a two-year deal. The contract is reportedly worth about $2.2 million. :thumb:

ESPN says that the Mets have signed Jose Valentin and are considering Julio!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2253190

ESPN is reporting that Matt Morris is close to signing a 3 year deal with San Francisco....

It's done already. He is now a Giant. Is Matheney still catching for them. If so, what a great combo to have.

Also, good pick up for the braves with renteria. If the Card's owners weren't so cheap, we might still have him. :thumb: