South Panola

REBELRON

Me and the insider watched South Panola kill Meridian 52-14 in the 5A title game. It was on CSS. I could not believe the size on South Panola's offensive line. That offensive line dominated. A lot of those touchdown runs the ball carrier never got touched. That is how dominant the offensive line was.

South Panola was awesome. I would love to see South Panola take on Byrnes. I would drive many miles to see that game.

Me and the insider watched South Panola kill Meridian 52-14 in the 5A title game. It was on CSS. I could not believe the size on South Panola's offensive line. That offensive line dominated. A lot of those touchdown runs the ball carrier never got touched. That is how dominant the offensive line was.

South Panola was awesome. I would love to see South Panola take on Byrnes. I would drive many miles to see that game.

They are tough...blew Germantown off the ball on almost every snap.

USP vs Byrnes would be an awesome contrast of styles.

I was also watching the game and thought that SP was huge. The only problem with playing Byrnes is the speed of Byrnes. It's hard to tackle someone if you can't catch them. IMO it would be a close game for the 1st half and then the fatigue would set in with Byrnes running the spread & no huddle offense.

Edited by cbg

I too watched... well, at least part of the game. Is it just me or is high school football funner to watch than college football? I personally think it's more exciting. But anyway, there is no doubt about how dominant South Panola was in that game. They definitely deserve that national recognition they get.

I did like that last touchdown by Meridian though. Good play!

I also watched the South Panola - Meridian game. Here's my opinion of South Panola.

South Panola came into the game with a back that ran for 1700+ yds, the QB had 1500+ yds rushing, and a third back running for 1100+ yds. The offensive line dominated. Bottom line. As the post above states, many of the TD's scored when the back was untouched.

South Panola only ran about 7 different plays...all out of the I formation. But, who needs to get fancy when you execute the way they do. They simply do not make mistakes and they execute, execute, execute. The linemen pulled and were throwing blocks 10 yds downfield on every play. Again, execution rules, especially at the high school level. Much credit should go to the coaching staff for this. In my opinion, that is the source of their domination in MS.

Meridian had a back who rushed for over 1800 yds and they were not much of a passing team this year. SP keyed on the back, Eason, and basically shut him down. Early in the game Meridian threw deep 5 or 6 times and had receivers open each time but couldn't connect because the QB didn't have the time to get set up properly and overthrew the receiver. Midway through 3rd qtr Meridian drove the field and scored by balancing running with passing and looked impressive on this drive.

So, to beat SP I would say you need a defense that is up to the challenge of playing smart. I think everyone in MS knew what plays SP runs but still, play after play Meridian had players out of position. A successful SP defeater must have it's defense schooled on playing proper defense.

Offensively you have to have a balanced attack. You can't be single dimensional or SP will load up to stop you. And they will. I would say that SP doesn't possess any more talent than other notable schools mentioned in previous posts (i.e. Riverdale, Ravenwood, Maryville, Hampton, VA, Madison Central, etc) but they have been coached very well and focus their talent on execution.

This discussion could go on and on. My hat is off to South Panola. Congrats to them on a third straight championship.

As I stated in another thread, I have seen many high schools from across the SE play ball. Is SP more talented than any other team I have seen? No. Are they faster? No. Are they bigger? No. What differentiates SP from the other schools? Execution. Would they be competitive in FL? Yes. Competetive is a good word. Dominant? Only after they developed a more balanced attack. But then again, who needs to pass when no one can stop the run. Execution my friends, execution.

To be honest, this years team does not have the good size of the past 3 or 4 years. The center is only 5'9 235 Sr., a tackle is 6'2 225 Sr.. The largest player in the O-Line is 6'1 285 and he is only a 10th grader. The head coach is 59-1 in four years and that 1 was 4 seasons ago in the State Championship game (21-14). They have won 45 games in a row and have not been beat in reg. season in at least 55 games. It would be great to see how they would do with some of the other states best teams.

Perhaps they didn’t have any luck with the Tennessee schools they did contact, but South Panola didn’t contact every school in Tennessee though, because there actually are schools in Tennessee that would be more than willing to play South Panola – schools that historically have scheduled schools from other states that have been visitors in the top tier of national rankings (I can think of four out-of-state programs – excluding South Panola – that have been scheduled and played by Tennessee schools which have been ranked in at least one national Top 10 at some point during the past ten years)

SP has had a very nice run for three years now, and has been a good program for at least 12-15 years that I can recall, and I applaud the school for those accomplishments. The national rankings SP has received are well-deserved considering the dominance. But let’s face it – they’re not world beaters every year, and there are Tennessee schools that not only aren’t afraid of SP but also can beat SP in a given year. Christian Brothers proved that 10 years ago.