one man, one vote?

lazarus

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is great work and I appreciate your putting it together.

It would be interesting to see what the reaction to this question would be on one of the main boards. The sample taken here--the 20 or so of us that routinely post here--is made up of people that already have strong opinions on the subject, one way or the other. I wonder what the rank and file TN HS fan would think? Mainly, I think the results are skewed to the private supporters because there are a disproportinate number of us posting on here.

Also, it is interesting that multiplier and striaght population are by far the least popular, and that's what we have now. Pretty strong indication that no one on either side of the debate is happy with the status quo.

if you do a straight tally of total first and second place votes (not weighted), merit wins over straight split only by 18-14.

finally, Honestly, I have never even heard of a merit system discussed in TN. I have heard at least mention of seemingly everything else under the sun: total split, bowl system, etc., but never a merit system. Does anyone know if it has ever been proposed/discussed in any sort of official forum?

this is great work and I appreciate your putting it together.

It would be interesting to see what the reaction to this question would be on one of the main boards. The sample taken here--the 20 or so of us that routinely post here--is made up of people that already have strong opinions on the subject, one way or the other. I wonder what the rank and file TN HS fan would think? Mainly, I think the results are skewed to the private supporters because there are a disproportinate number of us posting on here.

Also, it is interesting that multiplier and striaght population are by far the least popular, and that's what we have now. Pretty strong indication that no one on either side of the debate is happy with the status quo.

if you do a straight tally of total first and second place votes (not weighted), merit wins over straight split only by 18-14.

finally, Honestly, I have never even heard of a merit system discussed in TN. I have heard at least mention of seemingly everything else under the sun: total split, bowl system, etc., but never a merit system. Does anyone know if it has ever been proposed/discussed in any sort of official forum?

I don't know...but it has been discussed on this site for 3 or 4 years.

I don't know...but it has been discussed on this site for 3 or 4 years.

it makes me wonder....whether we agree or disagree, the people who regularly post on this board are for the most part a pretty thoughtful bunch. Most people have well thought out opinions. I saw the thread VG posted a while back from 2002 with people talking about a merit system. Point being, I guess I'm surprised that (to my knowledge, and following some brief google searching) there has never been any mention of a merit system in any official forum TSSAA, especially if it has been such a popular topic on this board.

conclusion: we should be running the TSSAA

:blink:

How exactly did that work in the old NIL?

First of all understand that the Nashville Interscholastic League (N.I.L.) was quite some time before me. I did have the pleasure of working with a coach that had coached in Nashville for a number of years and he told me about it. The way he explained it was that if you did well for a number of years (2,3,4,?) you were placed in a highher division. If you struggled for a number of years then you were moved down to a lower division. Just how many divisions there was I am not sure of. Also keep in mind theat you were dealing with a very limited number of schools (only Nashville). I think it would be a great system although it would take quite a bit of work to re-classify each team, and determine what "success" means. (Remeber that the TSSAA went to a 4 yr. classification schedule because it was too much work to do it every 2 years.) I think that it allows for the fact that straight student pop. is not the best determining factor in who you should play. Sadly I feel that it would be deemed too "radical" by many and would not fly today.

I hope I explained it correctly. If not maybe someone else has more knowledge of it. I hope that they share.