one man, one vote?

lazarus

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same. Merit would do nothing to stop the complaining the first time an MBA or MUS won the highest division, over a Riverdale or Maryville.

The irony there is that MBA and MUS won exactly 1 state football championship (MUS in 1985) between them while competing in state playoffs with public schools.

My opinion -

1. Merit system

2. Student Population

3. Multiplier

4. Split

5. No classes

• 2 weeks later...

"When are you going to tally the results?"

i reckon about now.

we had 20 people participate.

19 gave their votes on here, 1 sent it to my e-mail.

a few of the votes contained "qualifiers"

in a real vote, they would have been discarded.

in order to get even a minimal sample, i took them and ignored the qualifiers.

here is the straight vote tally:

chosen.....Merit.........split.........1 class......multiplier...pop

1st........... 14............ 5.............. 0.............. 0.............. 1

2nd.......... 4.............. 9.............. 0.............. 2.............. 5

3rd........... 1.............. 1.............. 2.............. 14............ 2

4th........... 1.............. 1.............. 6.............. 4.............. 8

5th........... 0.............. 4.............. 12............ 0.............. 4

i apologize for the crudeness of my chart, but i do not know how to put one on here that is any easier to read.

it is immediately apparent that merit system is the winner.

no matter how i tally the votes, merit wins in a runaway.

this reinforces my belief that merit will eventually be how high school sports are classified.

administrators, trained to abhor innovation (i know, it is hardly innovative, but applying it to high school sports would be), will be reluctant to take that daring step. but, once someone does it, the rest will follow.

the next easy conclusion is that there is no desire to return to the pre-classification days. however problematic it may be to get this classification thing right, eliminating classes is almost as unpopular as merit is popular.

it is also interesting, with our polarized electorate, to see how the votes fell in the more controversial selections. total split votes fell at the top and the bottom. it was the most "love it or hate it" choice. the multiplier, on the other hand, massed at the middle. nobody loved it the most, nobody hated it the most. straight population spread over the whole range. i suppose it has the appeal of being simple!

now for some tallys:

using the time-honored top-20 method, a 1st place vote 5 points, 2nd place 4 points, etc, we get the results...

merit........91

total split..61

multiplier..58

population.51

one class...30

maybe we think it would be better to give some weighting to 1st and last place votes. so we can give 5 points for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd, 1 for 4th, and zero for 5th. then the results are...

merit..........85

split............46

multiplier....38

population...32

one class....10

or we could only consider the top 2 choices, with 5 for 1st, and 3 for 2nd....

merit.........82

split...........43

population..20

multiplier....6

1 class.......0

for a 4th, and last, tabulation, i wanted to give greater weighting for solutions that were considered unacceptable. so i went with 2 points for 1st, 1 for second, and -1 for 5th. the totals...

merit..........32

split.............9

population....3

multiplier......2

1 class........(12)

there are other ways to have an election, but it would require different methods of voting. hardly seems worth the trouble when these results are so conclusive. despite the small sample, and the very unscientific method of data collection (write in/call in polls are generally crap and say more about the demographics of the audience than the topic) i dont think this particular apple falls far from the tree.

total split coming in second reinforces the belief that a total split will occur. probably the only possibilty to avoid it would be a big push for a merit system. i was rather surprised that multiplier and straight population were in a virtual tie. that doesnt show a lot of confidence in the effectiveness of multipliers.

but, the vote distribution shows why multiplier is the current choice... nobody loves it, but nobody hates it. straight population will make a few happy, but an equal number will be mad!

anyway, there it is.

i would be interested in what ya'll think about the results.

(by the way, i think it is incumbent upon the privates to promote a merit system. not because it is right or wrong that they do so, but because they are the ones with the most at stake. the split hurts them a lot worse than it does the publics)