Stan Ballard

PTSportsWriter

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The $100,000 fund raising goal has now been exceeded ... that's not just pledges, that's money in the bank. There's still plenty of good, caring, sacrificial people left in this world.

Stan's condition has deteriorated in the past few days to a very critical point. The cancer has just ravaged his throat, esophagus, etc. You can pray two ways ... 1) God is still in the miracle business and He can still heal Stan; 2) if that is not His will, that Stan will be in as little as pain as possible considering his condition.

Stan has a wonderful legacy in his two kids, Chasity and Micah. Any of you Blount County folks who remember Stan playing and who want to take a walk back in time, you need to come see the Carpenter Middle School team play and check out Micah. Same passion ... same desire ... maybe more talent (Stan would confirm that) than his dad. Yell at me and I'll give you the dates and times of some of our games after Christmas.

For those of you who have given, Thanks. For those who might still be interested, you can pm me for info.

This guy is first class all the way. Always has been. He continues to "coach" us all on the meaning of courage and character when life deals it's most cruel blows. I had the privilege of covering High School Sports on WGAP when Stan was a Senior. Him, Lee Dunlap, Mitch Parker, Scott Satterfield and others had a great team that year, and of course having Bill Wallace as a coach only made them better. I got to know him really well that year so long ago and even then he was as humble an individual you would ever meet. My utmost respect to him as a person, and my prayers to his entire family. By the way his sister was the backbone of an equally impressive Wm Blount Womens team that same year.

My thoughts and prayers are with Stan's family. He is a quality person who has a great Christian testimony. It is certainly a tragic situation to see a family losing a husband and father at such a young age.

I had the opportunity to play against Stan in high school. He was a sophomore when I was a senior. It is very interesting to note that my son is a sophomore and two years ahead of Stan's son, whose is in 8th grade at a rival school. I look forward to the day when they play against each other in high school. If that indeed comes to pass, I will certainly think of Stan and the memories of playing against him.

My thoughts and prayers are with Stan's family. He is a quality person who has a great Christian testimony. It is certainly a tragic situation to see a family losing a husband and father at such a young age.

I had the opportunity to play against Stan in high school. He was a sophomore when I was a senior. It is very interesting to note that my son is a sophomore and two years ahead of Stan's son, whose is in 8th grade at a rival school. I look forward to the day when they play against each other in high school. If that indeed comes to pass, I will certainly think of Stan and the memories of playing against him.

NormanDale,

I always like to try to figure out who people are on here. :thumb::lol: Did you happen to play for Alcoa in high school? I kind of had a hunch who you might be, but I'm probably way off.

MHS, yeah man ... speaking of Stan's sister ... Rose. She was the first Lady Governor basketball player to be named All State. I believe she was one year behind Stanley. My kids (all three) had the privilege to play for her at good old Fairview Elementary. And btw, Stan's other sister, Lanai (sp?) was a strong player at WB as well.

I visited with Stan last night (Wed., Dec21) for a little while. It looks like--barring a miracle--his couragous battle with a horrible disease is just about over. I hate cancer.

I know this isn't the ideal platform for a bunch of "mushy" stuff ... but I just wanted to let those folks who know Stan know...Stan has had the opportunity in the past few weeks to take care of what he needed to in order to be ready to go home. He's spent some precious time with his wife and his daughter and his son, as well as the rest of his family. As much as possible, he's at peace and he's tired and he's ready for some relief ... I believe the ultimate victory for him is very, very close.

Please, during this hectic, busy time ... take a moment and think of Stan's family ... Lisa, Chasity, & Micah ... and Stan's parents and sisters, along with Lisa's family.

I walked into the William Blount gym earlier this week, and I saw that #23 jersey displayed on the wall (in that ugly original WB light blue) and I whispered a "thank you" to God for having let me know Stan Ballard.