Damon has agreed in principle to a 4 year $52 million contract with..............the Yankees? :) Could there be a new Curse bestowed on the Red Sox? Is NOTHING sacred?

Man, I can't wait to hear Boston fans suddenly tell us how overrated Damon is and how is never was that good in the first place! :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266983

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I would say Boston is in a frenzy!!!

It's quite humorous listening to Boston fans on the radio today. He's went from the one of the best players on the Boston team to a greedy, washed-up player in about 12 hours. The best was when one of the hosts pointed out that the Sox had had a long time to work with him when other teams could offer and they didn't work with him. Suddenly Boston ownership is so shocked that he jumped town. I love it!!!!!

Ah, it's great. Nothing like when things go bad for New England sports teams!

I lived in Boston during the early 90's. I use to love to hear the chowder heads cry about their baseball team. Their misery was very fun to watch.

I sure did like to go to Fenway tho. Very fun, season tickets.

I was living there when Reggie Lewis died on the court, this after the death of Len Bias (celtics number one pick after the 1986 season).

Curse. sure seemed like it.

and then you had Roger Clemens to Toronto, Wade Boggs to the Yankees, Pedro to the Mets, and Johnny to the Yankees. Wow. pitiful.

Edited by texas23

I lived in Boston during the early 90's. I use to love to hear the chowder heads cry about their baseball team. Their misery was very fun to watch.

I sure did like to go to Fenway tho. Very fun, season tickets.

I was living there when Reggie Lewis died on the court, this after the death of Len Bias (celtics number one pick after the 1986 season).

Curse. sure seemed like it.

and then you had Roger Clemens to Toronto, Wade Boggs to the Yankees, Pedro to the Mets, and Johnny to the Yankees. Wow. pitiful.

But they will always have the bloody sock!!!! ;):thumb:

This phrase says it best, " From Jesus to Judas"

The thing I am most upset about is that their is no more loyalty in any pro sports. Do you think in the 70's and 80's that a Redskin would sign with the Cowboys? No way, now it is all about the money. This is Damon's last big contract so he had to go where the money is. That is a bunch of crap these guys are millionaires, and 1.5 million dollars isn't much different. Red Sox managment blew it and so did Damon, who didn't let the Red Sox make a counter offer.

Another bummer is that Damon will no longer be able to have facial hair and a long hair, I guess money will make people do crazy things.

The thing I am most upset about is that their is no more loyalty in any pro sports. Do you think in the 70's and 80's that a Redskin would sign with the Cowboys? No way, now it is all about the money. This is Damon's last big contract so he had to go where the money is. That is a bunch of crap these guys are millionaires, and 1.5 million dollars isn't much different. Red Sox managment blew it and so did Damon, who didn't let the Red Sox make a counter offer.

Another bummer is that Damon will no longer be able to have facial hair and a long hair, I guess money will make people do crazy things.

Remember one thing. Professional sports is a business. One thing you learn in business is that sometimes you have to look out for #1. If my employer pays me $50,000 a year (which they don't), and another firm offers me $60,000 and the job is the same, would I not be crazy to not take the raise? It stinks sometimes, especially in sports, but it is what it is.

The Red Sox had plenty of time to negotiate with Damon before any other team could touch him. They didn't. If he was so important to that franchise, why didn't they lock him up ASAP? Everybody I have heard from that area says Damon was the face of the franchise. Red Sox ownership dropped the ball here, as they have this entire hot stove league (no center, SS, closer, and 2 GMs). This issue should have never happened because he should have been locked up a long time ago. Red Sox ownership is making me just scratch my head at some of their moves.

Also, as for the older teams and allegience, free agency is really still a fairly new thing in sports. It was taboo until the mid 70s and very recently has become a factor in all sports. That is part of the reason of that undying alegience, they had to be. I would just about go so far as to guarantee that if there had been free agency from professional sports inception that it would have always been as it is now.

Remember one thing. Professional sports is a business. One thing you learn in business is that sometimes you have to look out for #1. If my employer pays me $50,000 a year (which they don't), and another firm offers me $60,000 and the job is the same, would I not be crazy to not take the raise? It stinks sometimes, especially in sports, but it is what it is.

The Red Sox had plenty of time to negotiate with Damon before any other team could touch him. They didn't. If he was so important to that franchise, why didn't they lock him up ASAP? Everybody I have heard from that area says Damon was the face of the franchise. Red Sox ownership dropped the ball here, as they have this entire hot stove league (no center, SS, closer, and 2 GMs). This issue should have never happened because he should have been locked up a long time ago. Red Sox ownership is making me just scratch my head at some of their moves.

Also, as for the older teams and allegience, free agency is really still a fairly new thing in sports. It was taboo until the mid 70s and very recently has become a factor in all sports. That is part of the reason of that undying alegience, they had to be. I would just about go so far as to guarantee that if there had been free agency from professional sports inception that it would have always been as it is now.

:P Couldn't have said it better.

why do you care about this man's hair?