2 Changes for HS Basketball in TN

dobber2368

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a team hold the ball for 7 minutes straight during a 3rd quarter because they knew that if the other team got the ball they would run away with it. So they decided to hold it and try to make one run at it and get lucky. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed. I've seen a team hold the ball for the final 3 minutes of a game after they were down the whole game and as soon as they got the lead they just held it. It's not basketball A shot clock is needed.

if you let a team hold the ball for seven minutes ur defense is terrible and you shouldnt be on the floor neway

I've seen a team hold the ball for 7 minutes straight during a 3rd quarter because they knew that if the other team got the ball they would run away with it. So they decided to hold it and try to make one run at it and get lucky. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed. I've seen a team hold the ball for the final 3 minutes of a game after they were down the whole game and as soon as they got the lead they just held it. It's not basketball A shot clock is needed.

So what? If that is a team's best chance to win, so be it. Do you take away the 3-point line because a team excels at the 3-point shot. Holding the ball is an option every team has. It may not be pretty and the fans may not like it, but why do you play the game? To win.

Edited by devildog

Do any other states have a shot clock? Just wondering. Maybe if they did add shot clocks, so everyone can stay happy maybe set them to 60 seconds. But then the device to speed up games could actually slow them down by teams pacing their possesions to use the shot clock. NBA uses 24, NCAA uses 35, so I think its only right that highschools should be no more than 40 if it ever went into effect. Only so much time you can give.

Do any other states have a shot clock? Just wondering. Maybe if they did add shot clocks, so everyone can stay happy maybe set them to 60 seconds. But then the device to speed up games could actually slow them down by teams pacing their possesions to use the shot clock. NBA uses 24, NCAA uses 35, so I think its only right that highschools should be no more than 40 if it ever went into effect. Only so much time you can give.

Seven states have shot clocks. California, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and North Dakota use it for both boys and girls; Washington and Maryland use it for girls only; New York uses it for boys only.

But this is the deal -- every high school in the state of Tennessee would have to buy at least two shot clocks. In some of these smaller schools with limited athletic budgets, that could wipe out a TON of the money allocated to athletics. Not to mention that you would have to have an extra person to run it, and it's already hard to find a competent clock operator and scorekeeper many places.

As for state tournaments in Memphis, I'd be for it -- then again, I am from West Tennessee. But those in East TN that complained about Spring Fling being in Memphis for 3 years, they can go shove it. People in West Tennessee got tired of driving all the way to Chattanooga for the 9 years it was there, too. In case they didn't figure it out, people live here too -- the population center of Tennessee isn't the Tri-Cities. That said, Murfreesboro is the best spot for everything right now. It's no more than a 4-hour drive for anyone.

I've got to agree with Devildog. It may not be exciting but it gives teams options. Hey, I've got an idea! Take the transition game away from the athletic teams and make them walk it up. Naw, that's ridiculous. And so is a shot clock.

So I guess pro football/basketball and collegiate football and basketball are just foolish and don't know what they are doing. I mean for them to have shot clocks is ridiculous. I guess 45 state high school athletic associations have it right but the rest of the world is wrong.

Edited by Harris' hooligans