Funniest things seen in a ball game - or at half time.

hedgehog

:unsure: I love watching high school basketball, because the kids on the court play (for the most part) for the pure love of the game. Sometimes all that intensity and effort creates some very funny things happening. Referees (even though this thread is not about referrees) do funny things too.

Probably the funniest things I've seen this year all happened in one game. In a boys game, a player on the wing made a pass to a teammate cutting through the lane. The cutting player turned his head as he cut away from the ball and got hit in the back of the head with the ball. The ball bounced off his head, hit the guy who was guarding him and almost went in the basket. In the same game, the referee called a technical foul on someone in the crowd and charged it to the home team. (This person was across the floor from the bench so it could not have come from the bench). The third and final thing was when a ref was trying to get in the right position on the floor and tripped the player with the ball coming across half court on a fast break. Even though these things were funny to me, I realize they may not have been so funny to the teams involved or their fans. :lol:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once saw a player trip and slide about 15 feet into some courtside seats during a game. As play continued the other way, the player did not get up. It seems that behind the chairs was a mesh screen protecting a heating unit near the court. The kid had slid through the mesh, lodging his head under the wire. Of course this wasn't initially funny, but when they got him out the kid looked around at everyones concern and raised his hands over his head like he had just won a prizefight. Of course being there was priceless, but everytime I retell this story it gets hard to finish because you get so tickled. :huh:

:unsure: Kaz :lol:

This didn't happen in a game, it was a practice scrimmage. We had one girl who was about 6' at the time, and another extremely petite little thing that couldn't have weighed 85 lbs. Well, the little girl was really fearless and wound up underneath the basket going for a rebound. The 6 foot-er had already gotten the ball and was bringing it up for an over the head pass. The little tiny girl just came right up with the ball, she REALLY wanted that sucker. We were afraid she was going to go flying towards half-court at any moment. Her feet were about 18 inches off the ground!

Actually saw this last week.......................

I have never seen this before, but in a game last week, I saw the referee call a jump ball when a player from the home team grabbed the ball with her hands and the visiting player had the ball with her feet.

Then later in the same game, another jump ball when a player from the home team had the ball with her feet and the visiting player had it with her hands.

Twice in the same game. Crazy, but consistent.

Many a years ago when i was in elementary, we were playing against a horrible team and was blowing them out, so coach puts in the scrub players, myself included(never was a good basketball player) and we hadnt been in the game for a minute when one of our post players gets a defensive rebound and puts it back for 2 points for the opposing team and starts trying to get high fives(of course no one gave him one, we just stood there and looked at him)! Coach calls a timeout and ask him what he is doing and explained that we took the ball to the other end to score! I am telling you guys, not 3 or 4 minutes later he gets another defensive rebound and does the exact same thing and about the time he turned for a high five, you could see it on his face, he realized what he had done! Everyone couldnt help but laugh, including the kid! :thumb:

Many a years ago when i was in elementary, we were playing against a horrible team and was blowing them out, so coach puts in the scrub players, myself included(never was a good basketball player) and we hadnt been in the game for a minute when one of our post players gets a defensive rebound and puts it back for 2 points for the opposing team and starts trying to get high fives(of course no one gave him one, we just stood there and looked at him)! Coach calls a timeout and ask him what he is doing and explained that we took the ball to the other end to score! I am telling you guys, not 3 or 4 minutes later he gets another defensive rebound and does the exact same thing and about the time he turned for a high five, you could see it on his face, he realized what he had done! Everyone couldnt help but laugh, including the kid! :thumb:

Holy crap, i would cry myself to sleep.

A few weeks ago i went to the Wayne Co. vs Mt. Pleasant game. Well Mt. Pleasant cheerleaders are practically standing on the court cause theres no room on the sidelines..Well Mt. Pleasant passed the ball from the top of the key...and it was a hard pass and the kid wasnt looking and didnt catch the pass...and of course the cheerleaders werent watching and that pass nailed one of there cheerleaders right in the nose...thankfully there was no blood or tears shed that i saw lol...tell that girl cheerleading aint a sport! lol. In the same game the ball got stuck in the side of the basket..not once but twice....and the first time it happened the ref got another basketball and was gonna throw it up there and try to hit the ball and knock it out...well he tried for bout 3 minutes...he would throw and everytime he would miss lol...then finally he got it and a few minutes later it got stuck again...but this time that ref just stayed away.

A few weeks ago i went to the Wayne Co. vs Mt. Pleasant game. Well Mt. Pleasant cheerleaders are practically standing on the court cause theres no room on the sidelines..Well Mt. Pleasant passed the ball from the top of the key...and it was a hard pass and the kid wasnt looking and didnt catch the pass...and of course the cheerleaders werent watching and that pass nailed one of there cheerleaders right in the nose...thankfully there was no blood or tears shed that i saw lol...tell that girl cheerleading aint a sport! lol. In the same game the ball got stuck in the side of the basket..not once but twice....and the first time it happened the ref got another basketball and was gonna throw it up there and try to hit the ball and knock it out...well he tried for bout 3 minutes...he would throw and everytime he would miss lol...then finally he got it and a few minutes later it got stuck again...but this time that ref just stayed away.

When I was playing ball in Iowa my senior year, we were beating a team 102-48 with less than 2 minutes to play. We had 4 seniors that all started (me included) but we had been on the bench the entire second half. Coach had just put us back in to finish the game and the coaches son (our pt grd) gets an outlet pass near half court. Instead of continuing the break, he pulls up, heads to their 3-pt line and buries a 3. On the inbounds pass, he gets the ball again and buries another 3 for them. Coach calls a TO and asks him what he was doing and his reply--"I felt sorry for them. I just wanted to make sure they broke 50 and we didn't win by 50." The final was 104-54!!!!!!

When I was playing ball in Iowa my senior year, we were beating a team 102-48 with less than 2 minutes to play. We had 4 seniors that all started (me included) but we had been on the bench the entire second half. Coach had just put us back in to finish the game and the coaches son (our pt grd) gets an outlet pass near half court. Instead of continuing the break, he pulls up, heads to their 3-pt line and buries a 3. On the inbounds pass, he gets the ball again and buries another 3 for them. Coach calls a TO and asks him what he was doing and his reply--"I felt sorry for them. I just wanted to make sure they broke 50 and we didn't win by 50." The final was 104-54!!!!!!

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are! :thumb:

---rSquared

We were in the middle of a game one night and were playing a Christian school. We knew that in compliance with some of their religious beliefs, some of their cheerleaders had to wear pants rather than shorts or skirts, so when we saw one of their players check into the game wearing snap-on warm up pants, we just thought it was because of the same reasons. Well, in the middle of the game this guy and one of my teammates go to the floor after a loose ball and his pants come completely off, and he hasn't got on compression shorts or even boxers, but only whitey-tighties. So he immediately gets to his feet and tries to get his pants back on but he can't because they've been un-snapped, so he's fumbling with his pants in the middle of the floor in front everyone. But it doesn't end there. The funniest part was that the ref didn't see him and play continued for about 30 seconds or so with this guy out in the middle of the floor trying to clothe himself! Well the ref finally stops the game and the guy had to be helped off the floor by his teammate because he was so tangled up in his pants. I felt so sorry for him because it turns out that that was his first game ever because the team had had a lot of injuries and needed more players so they "recruited" him to sit on the becnch that one game, and he went in because we were stomping them. Since he'd never played, he didn't have any shorts and had to wear those pants. I must say everyone laughed until we couldn't laugh any more.

Many a years ago when i was in elementary, we were playing against a horrible team and was blowing them out, so coach puts in the scrub players, myself included(never was a good basketball player) and we hadnt been in the game for a minute when one of our post players gets a defensive rebound and puts it back for 2 points for the opposing team and starts trying to get high fives(of course no one gave him one, we just stood there and looked at him)! Coach calls a timeout and ask him what he is doing and explained that we took the ball to the other end to score! I am telling you guys, not 3 or 4 minutes later he gets another defensive rebound and does the exact same thing and about the time he turned for a high five, you could see it on his face, he realized what he had done! Everyone couldnt help but laugh, including the kid! :(

I have a very similar story....I was also in Middle School and we were killing this team, so our coach put in the first year players... I was not included in this group so I helplessly watched the incident occur from the sidelines... ONe of our players got a defensive rebound and without hesitation shot the ball back up, however it did not go in and another of our players proceeded to get the rebound and once again put it back up... This passing game continued three or four more times and they finally made the basket. They high-fived each other and began to run down the floor. At that point they finally heard our screams coming from the bench... "Wrong basket!!!!" They looked at each other with pure shock on their faces... Looking back all you can do is laugh!!!!