What the heck is Coach Marcum doing?

highlandermom

:thumb: I was excited about Coach Marcum when I heard he was coming to SHS, and in the first couple of games I was still excited, but over the last few games, all I keep thinking is..."What the heck is he doing?"

He has left his older players on the bench. All he plays are Freshman and Sophmores, not that they shouldn't be played but he has some really descent good Juniors and he has all but left them behind. I know you have to get your young players some action but at the cost of your older players who have already put 2 years in and should be playing?

Now I am not saying that Kate Lowe or other young players shouldn't be on the floor, Kate is an awesome point guard and is doing a fine job. But he rarely plays Whitney Strunk, and when he does she makes one mistake and out she comes, and Tara Jeffers has barely played in the last couple of games, and he has completely quit playing Megan Lowe, I just don't understand his reasons behind his coaching lately.

I am not the only fan who thinks this way, I have talked to many people who made the very same comments that I have brought up in the thread. What has these olders girls worked so hard for? Just to be overlooked on the bench.

Well in my opinon "HIS" young team fell apart in the game with CAK, they were tied up all thru the game and then the Highlanders just fell apart in the last 2 minutes. They lost the game by 10 points.

I would like to hear other peoples ideas or comments on this matter.

I would like to add that he does play Bobbi Silcox but she is about the only older player that he does play.

Edited by highlandermom

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the criticisms of a coach I have never understood why we criticize them for playing younger players over older players. Coaches play the best players, regardless of their age...why would anyone think that a coach would play anyone other than those who can help the team win. One of the main parts of their job is to win games and they do that with the best players they have on the court...regardless of any jealousy in the stands. Also, keep in mind that there are many things that go into who the best players are...ability, attitude, effort, doing what the coach wants, adjusting to a new system...just to name a few...if the coach is playing worse players than he obviously has another agenda, but when have we HONESTLY seen that happen? Coaches are not stupid and want to win games more than the fans in the stands. Players must EARN the trust of their coaches, regardless of how long they have been playing, and if a coach does not trust that a player will perform he is not going to play that player.

B) I was excited about Coach Marcum when I heard he was coming to SHS, and in the first couple of games I was still excited, but over the last few games, all I keep thinking is..."What the heck is he doing?"

He has left his older players on the bench. All he plays are Freshman and Sophmores, not that they shouldn't be played but he has some really descent good Juniors and he has all but left them behind. I know you have to get your young players some action but at the cost of your older players who have already put 2 years in and should be playing?

Now I am not saying that Kate Lowe or other young players shouldn't be on the floor, Kate is an awesome point guard and is doing a fine job. But he rarely plays Whitney Strunk, and when he does she makes one mistake and out she comes, and Tara Jeffers has barely played in the last couple of games, and he has completely quit playing Megan Lowe, I just don't understand his reasons behind his coaching lately.

I am not the only fan who thinks this way, I have talked to many people who made the very same comments that I have brought up in the thread. What has these olders girls worked so hard for? Just to be overlooked on the bench.

Well in my opinon "HIS" young team fell apart in the game with CAK, they were tied up all thru the game and then the Highlanders just fell apart in the last 2 minutes. They lost the game by 10 points.

I would like to add that he does play Bobbi Silcox but she is about the only older player that he does play.

OK,

You want other comments, I would be glad to chime in from an abjective view in this matter. First of all; I believe I remember you from last year speaking of the poor coaching job that Kries and Murley were doing, and earlier in the year you were praising Coach Marcum, ah just a hunch, but I would guess your daughter was playing earlier in the season, now she is not, or she is not playing near as much and now the coach you were praising is doing a bad job. So, if I am right, you are more concerned with one player and not the development of the team. As you stated I am sure some other parents have this same view-point, and if they do it is wrong to put your individual concerns over that of the team.

It is time parents quit pointing fingers at the coaches, and realize what the true problem is.

As the old saying goes, "when your pointing your finger there are four more pointing back at you".

Comments you made are nothing but problems for a team that needs encouragement, not criticism. Sad to say most of these so called "complainers" no nothing about the game of basketball, and let me tell you, your current coach, and previous coach (Kries) both know the game! Kries won 80% of his games in the 80's when had had something to work with.

Another old saying, "you can't win the Kentucky Derby riding a mule", all I will say about that is the talent pool is very, very depleted.

So quit whining, and start supporting, or if Coach M is making wrong personnel decisions, maybe he should consult you, for your expert advice!!!!!

Unless I'm wrong, it appears we have a discouraged fan in our midst. Coach M. should resign immediately, :P if not sooner. Haven't the crusaders ran enough coaches off the sidelines? I'm sure HMOM has not walked in a coaches shoes before.(if you think youth league basketball compares, forget it!) Young players, old players, ugly players, or dragon slayers?!?! Marcum runs the show, it should forever be his call: Right or Wrong! Another little piece of advice: I'd make sure the administrators support the coaching staff by backing them on issues concerning playing time or lack thereof. Now don't get me wrong, if Coach M. goes off and does something that reflects badly on the school, sure he should suffer a reprimand from his superiors, but this doesn't reflect what is being said. Looks like people like HMOM need to get on with their sad problems. I guess HMOM thinks her kid is the star. :D Hmm, I wonder?

:D Kaz :blink:

Highlandermom, I'm not going to try to get on here and tell you that you're wrong. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I do disagree with you, though.

First, as others have already pointed out, simply being an upperclassman doesn't guarantee anyone the right to play. There are players who come and go through four years of basketball at the high school level and never start one game. Unless they get into the game for mop-up duties, the only recognition they're going to get at the varsity level is on senior night. Is it fair? Heck no, it ain't fair. But life ain't fair, and - after all - high school is preparation for life. I have heard some argue that we've made too much a business out of high school athletics; that we've put too much importance on winning and losing, and that every level of school-endorsed athletics should be like Jr. Pro basketball, where every player is guaranteed of getting game action in every game. Well, that's a whole 'nuther argument for a whole 'nuther day.

Regardless of all that, I don't have the privilege of attending all the practices at SHS so it wouldn't be for me to say whether he gives the younger players more PT because they're better players or because they are executing better or for an entirely different reason. But I do know this: Scott High School is paying Chad Marcum to do one thing: Develop a successful girls' basketball program. And if you're going to put your trust into a coach to run a basketball program, especially when he actually has to build the program, you're going to have to give him a little time. Halfway through his first season is WAY too soon to start criticizing his coaching methods.

In the meantime, my personal opinion is that Coach Marcum is a very good coach. In the games I have had an opportunity to attend this year, the team is obviously showing improvement. Coach Kries started things in the right direction last year, and now Coach Marcum has picked up where his predecessor left off and has continued moving the program. Every time I walk into the gymnasium at Scott High, I see those banners from district and region championships in the early-to-mid '90s and I'd love to see another banner join the old ones real soon. But it takes time. I don't think anyone thought that Coach Marcum's team would start competing for the district championship overnight. I know that he didn't feel that way. I had an opportunity to speak with him at length about his team shortly before the season started and he said in no uncertain terms that there would be some really difficult moments that his team would have to work through to get to where they wanted to be. One of the problems is that he inherited a team that is really down. That will make the task of returning the team to district championship contention an even longer one.

But it is just astounding to me that I hear as much criticizing at SHS as I already hear. It hasn't gone unnoticed. I was talking to another coach from the area a few days ago and his words were "It's no wonder they can't keep a girls' basketball coach up there at Scott County." And I can't help but wonder: If the critics are this vocal already, after just a few months on the job, what will they be like by this time next year if Scott High doesn't yet have a winning record?

You have a good coach. Don't run him off.

Edited by WrittenWord

:blink: I was excited about Coach Marcum when I heard he was coming to SHS, and in the first couple of games I was still excited, but over the last few games, all I keep thinking is..."What the heck is he doing?"

Last year I heard alot of parents and fans talking about how they wish kries would play his younger girls. they felt that was where his hopes for the future was.

Now its just the opposite.

I just hope Coach Marcum doesn't get discouraged by comments like this. I hope he understands that no matter what he does there will be people unhappy. It's alot like racing, everyone sees the same incident on the track but everyone has a different oppinions of who was at fault.

I used to have a daughter that played at SHS but I don't anymore. All this was, was my opinion, it wasn't gospel. I really do like Marcum, and I was very excited when he came to SHS, and I believe you all are correct that it is his team and he can run it like he wants.

But I still don't agree with his rotation lately, and I even left out some girls when I mentioned some that hasn't been played. But this is a place to put up opinions and that's what I did, I don't really care if anyone else agrees with me or not. And I liked Kries last year, I hated to see him go, and if everyone last year thought the younger players needed to be played and this year the older ones need to be played, then I think we are talking about the same group of young girls, because the 2 Seniors and several Juniors this year would have been the young girls from last years team.

Because I get on here and give my opinon on something doesn't mean I don't support Marcum or the Lady Highlanders. I love to watch them play and I am a very big fan. I just say what I think, don't really care if anyone else cares or not.

I used to have a daughter that played at SHS but I don't anymore. All this was, was my opinion, it wasn't gospel. I really do like Marcum, and I was very excited when he came to SHS, and I believe you all are correct that it is his team and he can run it like he wants.

But I still don't agree with his rotation lately, and I even left out some girls when I mentioned some that hasn't been played. But this is a place to put up opinions and that's what I did, I don't really care if anyone else agrees with me or not. And I liked Kries last year, I hated to see him go, and if everyone last year thought the younger players needed to be played and this year the older ones need to be played, then I think we are talking about the same group of young girls, because the 2 Seniors and several Juniors this year would have been the young girls from last years team.

Because I get on here and give my opinon on something doesn't mean I don't support Marcum or the Lady Highlanders. I love to watch them play and I am a very big fan. I just say what I think, don't really care if anyone else cares or not.

I have a couple of questions for you HMOM. If you don't have a child why would you be on here trying to undermine a program when you don't have a dog in the fight? Next, if you are a fan and supporter, shouldn't you be doing just that? Supporting!! I am a fan, a real fan. I have been to all of the games and supported, win or lose, agree or disagree with every decision. You know, coaches even second guess their decisions sometimes in hind sight. But, any arm chair coach can do that. I acn assure you that Coach M. is doing the things that he thinks will get this program on the right track. If my memory serves me right alot of the names that you mentioned in your first OPINION(which by the way I think it is very in appropriate to type any childs' name on the internet without permission from a gaurdian of the child) were in the starting line up earlier in the year. I know coach gave the older girls the first chance to be productive and earn the coaches trust. From seeing all of the games the effort seems to be just as good if not better with the young kids. If you're building go with youth, that always seems to be the formula. Not knocking any of the kids, but it seems that some of the returning players are more reluctant to buy in to the style and effort needed to play the style than the younger players. Rightfully so with what they have endured the last several years. But how is the past our present coaches fault. It's not. If they want playing time with this coach they must work and produce when they get the chance, even if that time is limited. That is all you can ask from any coach. The limited time i'm guessing is due to the fact that they have lost the coaches confidence. The best advice as a supporter that we can give the players is to work harder. The old saying really applies in this case: Don't Whine, Don't complain, Don't make excuses, just give give effort! We need to get behind this team and coach and help this program.

Edited by redlander55

I do not have a horse or even a mule in this race but I was bored and doing a little reading. First hand experience has shown me that a lot of successful new coaches start their career by cutting any upperclassmen that are not difference makers, due to the cancer caused by them and their parents. Put yourself in a coaches shoes, does it help the program to play a senior when there is a sophmore with about the same skill level. NO absolutely no, give the young player the experience, the senior will not help the program next year and the sophmore may. It just is not smart prgram building not to give the young and equally talented players the time. (difference makers are those players that other coaches plan for and sometimes fear) Is your shild one of those?

A lot of people have been disagreeing with the way coach marcum is running his team. As far as not playing the older kids go...that's their fault. Everyone has a chance to earn a spot on a basketball team. If the younger ones are outworking the upperclassmen, then so be it. They deserve it. Older players offer leadership and experience, but the younger ones are the players that will REALLY be able to make a difference. It's a lot easier to tell people how to do their jobs than to try and understand. The biggest problem with Scott High right now is the lack of fan support. Look at their bleachers during a game night. We need people supporting the TEAM. If you don't want to support coach marcum, then do your best to support his girls. They're working hard. Keep it up ladies!