Powell's Larry Stephens Resigns as Head Coach

PowellFan

The plus in that situation is that he would have Wilks, Smith, Dagley, Hawkins, etc. around him to support him. Most of the staff at Powell are experienced veteran coaches. That would definitely be a plus, if that is the direction they go.

The question is would he be willing to listen to their wisdom and take their guidance.

Ntheknow you have to agree that Matt is on the faculty at Powell because that is fact. As far as his enthusiasm I guess some wouldn't consider him enthusiastic some would. He is a Powell guy that is a fact.

Now I will agree that he has been impatient with his play calling which has led to Powell having some offensive problems. This is certainly a concern. With that being said I think he is the guy they will hire. Not because he will be the most qualified but because it will present the least number of headaches for the administration. At least initially. Latter there could be some issues if he doesn't listen to his more experienced assistants. He will have to cool it on the side lines a little. If he does get the job he would be smart to take Wilks and Dagley to be his right hand men. They are both very professional and would be excellent role models for him.

I am under the impression that he is the communities choice. Maybe I am wrong. Any comments?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Lowe would be a good head coach. He is a Powell guy and the kids love his enthusiasm. My point is that chest bumping and dancing before the game can be a bad example for the way kids should act. Also how many 15 yarders has he had during his Powell tenure? I think he better tone it down to handle this responsibility.

I think that Lowe would be a good head coach. He is a Powell guy and the kids love his enthusiasm. My point is that chest bumping and dancing before the game can be a bad example for the way kids should act. Also how many 15 yarders has he had during his Powell tenure? I think he better tone it down to handle this responsibility.

I believe that being named a head coach will mature a coach, any coach, in a hurry, be it Matt or whoever.

Cat2, I know for a fact that Matt, and the other young coaches at Powell, have gone to Wilks and the other coaching veterans on the staff for help and advice often. I don't think that would change, and especially with Wilks. Were Matt the head coach i'm confident that he would continue to serve as the co-offensive coordinator, along with Daryle, and let Wilks continute to direct the defense. There is not a better defensive coach around than Phil.

As for his being the "community choice", there are a lot of people who back Matt 100%, but just like most coaches, he has some who aren't fond of his style, either. He is a Powell guy and loves Powell High School and PHS football like few others.

Do I believe he will be named the head coach? I think that there is a very good chance of that, but it's not a slam dunk.

Edited by HTV

I believe that being named a head coach will mature a coach, any coach, in a hurry, be it Matt or whoever.

Cat2, I know for a fact that Matt, and the other young coaches at Powell, have gone to Wilks and the other coaching veterans on the staff for help and advice often. I don't think that would change, and especially with Wilks. Were Matt the head coach i'm confident that he would continue to serve as the co-offensive coordinator, along with Daryle, and let Wilks continute to direct the defense. There is not a better defensive coach around than Phil.

As for his being the "community choice", there are a lot of people who back Matt 100%, but just like most coaches, he has some who aren't fond of his style, either. He is a Powell guy and loves Powell High School and PHS football like few others.

Do I believe he will be named the head coach? I think that there is a very good chance of that, but it's not a slam dunk.

Dagley needs to be moved to the offensive side of the ball and be the co offensive coordinator imo. That way he has a solid professional educator and coach on both sides of the ball.

Cat2, as it is now Matt and Daryle Smith are co-offensive coordinators. Wilks is the Associate Head Coach and co-defensive coordinator, and Bobby is the other co-defensive coordinator.

Of course, all of this could be totally restructured, depending on who is hired.

Yes he is on faculty at the school and yes, Lowe is overall a good guy and yes the kids do like him....he acts just like them, but come on...less of a headache to the administrators? are you kidding me? I just don't get all that. Not to mention that on the prepxtra special tuesday night the guy from the newspaper had the audacity to come on there and say he was the best choice. Do people think everyone in Powell is just stupid or what? It seems to me that people think Powell enjoys losing or something. Here are the facts...the panthers had a lot of talent this past year and should have won many more games than they did. So we blame their losing on the players? on the leadership of the team? on players inability to play? what? I'm confused. Fact #2, they get the ball on the one yard line against Maryville and can't score? Once again, do you think people in Powell are stupid? Lowe is not head coach material at least for now. I think it's pretty safe to say that the football team at Powell should be doing much better than they have been and that they want to do better. The current system just isnt working and people know that. My hope is that if the Catholic coach does consider the job, the Powell should consider him.

Edited by Ntheknow2

Yes he is on faculty at the school and yes, Lowe is overall a good guy and yes the kids do like him....he acts just like them, but come on...less of a headache to the administrators? are you kidding me? I just don't get all that. Not to mention that on the prepxtra special tuesday night the guy from the newspaper had the audacity to come on there and say he was the best choice. Do people think everyone in Powell is just stupid or what? It seems to me that people think Powell enjoys losing or something. Here are the facts...the panthers had a lot of talent this past year and should have won many more games than they did. So we blame their losing on the players? on the leadership of the team? on players inability to play? what? I'm confused. Fact #2, they get the ball on the one yard line against Maryville and can't score? Once again, do you think people in Powell are stupid? Lowe is not head coach material at least for now. I think it's pretty safe to say that the football team at Powell should be doing much better than they have been and that they want to do better. The current system just isnt working and people know that. My hope is that if the Catholic coach does consider the job, the Powell should consider him.

I agree that Lowe needs to mature in order to be the Head Coach. I also think they had a disappointing seasons the last couple of years. Discipline and leadership needs to improve imo.

What I mean by less of a headache is, the admiistration want have to worry about finding a teaching position and want have the community on their back about not hiring a Powell guy.

After doing a little research Knox co. can't pay enough to get the Catholic guy.

Two weeks is up this coming week. Look for the number of candidates to be down to 3 by the first of Feb. and the new coach to be in place by Feb. 12.

When all is said and done I look for the number of qualified Head coaches appling to be limited. I think they will hire an assistant from somewhere Gray is a name I heard last night. Former O.R. and Bearden Assistant.

The head Coach at Union County is throwing his name into the hat. Do you think the Powell folks would be happy with the former Coach at Maynardville.

I am telling you like it or not Matt Lowe will be the next Head Coach at Powell. Unless Wilks or Dagley have a change of heart.

I agree that Lowe needs to mature in order to be the Head Coach. I also think they had a disappointing seasons the last couple of years. Discipline and leadership needs to improve imo.

What I mean by less of a headache is, the admiistration want have to worry about finding a teaching position and want have the community on their back about not hiring a Powell guy.

After doing a little research Knox co. can't pay enough to get the Catholic guy.

Two weeks is up this coming week. Look for the number of candidates to be down to 3 by the first of Feb. and the new coach to be in place by Feb. 12.

When all is said and done I look for the number of qualified Head coaches appling to be limited. I think they will hire an assistant from somewhere Gray is a name I heard last night. Former O.R. and Bearden Assistant.

The head Coach at Union County is throwing his name into the hat. Do you think the Powell folks would be happy with the former Coach at Maynardville.

I am telling you like it or not Matt Lowe will be the next Head Coach at Powell. Unless Wilks or Dagley have a change of heart.

ok, so basically what you're saying is that no one who is a qualified, successful head coach (or even a qualified assistant) right now is interested in Powell? and that Powell will be forced to deal with Lowe. that's unreal...and sad really. And I thought I read somewhere that HTV said that coming to Knox County for the Catholic coach would be a pay increase but I could be wrong. As for Maynardville...um, how does his resume stack up to Lowe's? All sounds like the same ol same ol for Powell...yippee.

Edited by Ntheknow2

ok, so basically what you're saying is that no one who is a qualified, successful head coach (or even a qualified assistant) right now is interested in Powell? and that Powell will be forced to deal with Lowe. that's unreal...and sad really. And I thought I read somewhere that HTV said that coming to Knox County for the Catholic coach would be a pay increase but I could be wrong. As for Maynardville...um, how does his resume stack up to Lowe's? All sounds like the same ol same ol for Powell...yippee.

No, I asked the question about the pay. I said that sometimes parochial schools don't pay very well, but I wasn't sure about Knoxville Catholic compared to Knox County schools. That's what I was trying to determine.

The job wasn't advertised until late last week, meaning that it has to be advertised through next week before call backs and formal interviews can be done. I'm sure all involved would love to have a coach in place by Feb. 12, but i'm not sure that is a realistic date.

I think there will be some interest but I feel it will be limited. I thnk that it is very possible a more qualified candidate will apply who may be head coach or top notch assistant. If you will remember when Stephens was hired they had three finalist Julian from Halls and Chait. Certainly Julian seems to be a pretty good coach. But Chait? That should tell you something about the amount of interest in the job and the quality of applicants. But what everyone needs to understand is, they need a teaching position for anyone who may be new to the system or the school. You just can't move a teacher to make room for a head football coach. Powell is an excellent school. They don't have alot of of turnover in their faculty so that presents a probelm in hiring a Coach who is not already on staff. No teaching you can't hire the Coach no matter how qualified he may be. Thats why I say all fingers point to Lowe

I think there will be some interest but I feel it will be limited. I thnk that it is very possible a more qualified candidate will apply who may be head coach or top notch assistant. If you will remember when Stephens was hired they had three finalist Julian from Halls and Chait. Certainly Julian seems to be a pretty good coach. But Chait? That should tell you something about the amount of interest in the job and the quality of applicants. But what everyone needs to understand is, they need a teaching position for anyone who may be new to the system or the school. You just can't move a teacher to make room for a head football coach. Powell is an excellent school. They don't have alot of of turnover in their faculty so that presents a probelm in hiring a Coach who is not already on staff. No teaching you can't hire the Coach no matter how qualified he may be. Thats why I say all fingers point to Lowe

Cat2, it's just not true that there was limited interest in the job when Larry was hired. I know that there were between 80 and 100 resumes sent to PHS administration, including some from very successful head coaches both in Tennessee and from out of state.

Keep in mind that the job was Larry's to turn down, and it was known to the administration at the time that he wasn't going to turn it down. The AD at the time was Mark Duff, who knew Julian very well from his time with him on the staff at Halls. Chait was included because there had to be a third candidate interviewed, according to Knox County guidelines. The only "serious" candidate was Stephens, and Julian was the backup due to his ties with Duff.

We all know how it turned out. Larry took the job, as was expected, and Julian got to gain experience by going through the interview process and now has his "dream job" at his alma mater.

That situation and this one are an apples and oranges comparison. Three years ago things were pretty much decided before the process began. This time things are literally wide open. Remember, too, that Powell has a completely different administration now than they did three years ago. None of the pricipals who were there 3 years ago are still at Powell.

Edited by HTV