Powell's Larry Stephens Resigns as Head Coach

PowellFan

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat2, it's just not true that there was limited interest in the job when Larry was hired. I know that there were between 80 and 100 resumes sent to PHS administration, including some from very successful head coaches both in Tennessee and from out of state.

Keep in mind that the job was Larry's to turn down, and it was known to the administration at the time that he wasn't going to turn it down. The AD at the time was Mark Duff, who knew Julian very well from his time with him on the staff at Halls. Chait was included because there had to be a third candidate interviewed, according to Knox County guidelines. The only "serious" candidate was Stephens, and Julian was the backup due to his ties with Duff.

We all know how it turned out. Larry took the job, as was expected, and Julian got to gain experience by going through the interview process and now has his "dream job" at his alma mater.

That situation and this one are an apples and oranges comparison. Three years ago things were pretty much decided before the process began. This time things are literally wide open. Remember, too, that Powell has a completely different administration now than they did three years ago. None of the pricipals who were there 3 years ago are still at Powell.

I stand corrected. But based on the 3 finalist it gave th appearence that the pool was limited. So last time the administration just went through the motions and this time they are really looking. Could it be possible that will be the case this time? Could it be Lowe's job to turn down? Is it a concern that the perception is Matt Lowe will be hired and it would be a waste of time to apply?

So lets move on. HTV and others in the know. What do you think is appealing about the Head Coaching Position at Powell? What are the negatives?

It appears that over the past couple of years the football team has underachieved. Several D I players and a couple of I AA. But Powell has been mediocre. What type of Coach do you think Powell should be looking for? What would you guys consider to be a good fit? Do you think it is time for a change and new blood?

Guest PiMPiSH

Just to throw in my two cents,...I'd like to see Lowe get the job. Yes, I'm the same guy that wondered about his disipline procedures. I say bring in the young guy. Look at the PRO's. How many times does Norv Turner get a chance to fail. Same with High School. Let's see what he's got based on his other known characteristics...high energy, loyalty, determination, knowledge. Besides, personally, I thought Powell's offense was a little boring last year and maybe he can spice it up a bit and put the ball down the field and spread out the defense(characteristics found mainly in young coaches)...if he can find a QB that can do that....and a little team speed. Hmmm. May take him a few years to get things rolling. Another point for hiring Lowe is maybe he'll stick around due to his roots at Powell. I'll take the young exciting football mind over the aged experienced run, run, and run football mind in this particular situation.

Powell's offense boring? lol Powell's offense last year was Lowe's coaching and the only thing boring about the offense was the lack of scoring....that's boring. It was pretty sad when by the end of the season everyone in the stands knew what was going to happen simply because the lack of variety and that in large was Lowe. I'm not really sure if you ever saw Lowe play in high school, but I'm telling you there wasn't too much difference in the way Watts played quarterback and how Lowe did. As far as his ego, what about his players' ego? Anyone care to comment on how disheartening it can be for players to never win key games or reap the rewards for their hard work? I think it goes back to what wild rooster was saying something about even when Darryl Smith and John Bruhin were playing, Powell still didn't amount to much. At what point will folks wake up and recognize the cycle has to be broken.....geesh.

I stand corrected. But based on the 3 finalist it gave th appearence that the pool was limited. So last time the administration just went through the motions and this time they are really looking. Could it be possible that will be the case this time? Could it be Lowe's job to turn down? Is it a concern that the perception is Matt Lowe will be hired and it would be a waste of time to apply?

So lets move on. HTV and others in the know. What do you think is appealing about the Head Coaching Position at Powell? What are the negatives?

It appears that over the past couple of years the football team has underachieved. Several D I players and a couple of I AA. But Powell has been mediocre. What type of Coach do you think Powell should be looking for? What would you guys consider to be a good fit? Do you think it is time for a change and new blood?

Positives:

1. Community and fan support: Powell draws between 4 and 7 K for every home game. That not only translates in to vocal support on game night, but also into a very good gate for each home game. That means that there are enough revenues generated to adequately run the program.

2. Active and supportive booster club. What extras the ticket revenues don't cover, the booster club take care of, or at least it has over the last 3 or 4 years.

3. Good numbers: There are generally between 75 and 90 or more players in the high school program and Powell has produced some very good talent over the years.

4. Administrative support: The current administration, and the administration before, has been very supportive of the football program and the entire PHS athletic program, for that matter.

5. A feeder program that is getting better: While that hasn't always been the case, the feeder program in Powell is improving and beginning to implement much of what the high school program does at an earlier age. The kids have a better idea of what to expect when they get to the high school football program than they did a few years ago.

6. Good staff already in place.

Negatives:

1. Stadium: The Powell stadium is in dire need of replacement, but Knox County has placed other schools ahead of Powell on the list without explaination to Powell administration. Powell is landlocked and can't even think about building another facility. There's no place for it to go. Football has to share the stadium with both girls and boys soccer, meaning that the playing surface gets a beating all year long. Football is expected to foot the bill for field, yet they can't maintain it like it needs to be due to usage.

2. Powell is a closed zone: Unlike other schools in the region, Powell is a closed zone and can't take out of zone students. To go to school at Powell a student must live in Powell. Whoever comes in has to understand that.

Edited by HTV

I do not know Lowe personally, but I would say it would be a big blow to his ego if they stepped over him. Would another coach be able to co-exist with the Lowe supporters in the community. If Lowe stayed it would mend some of the fences. I believe they should give it to Lowe for political purposes.

Matt really gets a bad rap on this. On the surface he is outgoing, energetic, and might seem a bit out there when you first watch him work, but he really isn't the out of control ego some claim he is. Matt is well grounded and understands that he's just a part of the team and not the team.

If Powell hires Tim Hammontree, every problem will go away. He will take care of any problems that a player might have and there will be NO parent problems. He would pick his staff and he would be very successful at Powell. If you want a winner, hire Hammontree but expect for some things to change in the good old boy network

Hamontree would be a positive for Powell. If Tim would have coached their tallent the last two years Maryville may have a L or two, but then again maybe not.

You are correct in that Hammontree is going to have it his way. A few of Powell's key players may not have been on the team under Hammontree if they were unable to change their on field behavior.......JMO though. He does demand discipline and IMO that would have been a positive for Powell, expecially this year.

I just saw over on Rebel Nation that former Maryville head coach Tim Hammontree applied for the Powell job. That would be a good hire IMO. Any truth? :lol:

I don't know if he is or is going to officially apply, but there seems to be some truth to his interest, at least on a preliminary basis.