krichunaka

1) Cloudland

2) Elizabethton

3) Unicoi County

4) Happy Valley

5) Unaka

6) Hampton

7) Johnson County

Lady Highlanders have what will probably be the ONLY win over the Lady Cyclones from within the Seven this season. The question becomes: Will the Lady Cyclones have enough quality wins to overcome their High Country Tournament disappointment. Probably Yes. :thumb:

Cloudland, even with the most significant victory of the season to date, has proven just how good ....and bad a team can play. A very Tough team to contend with, but not good enough to play at half-speed.

Hampton went to Roan Mountain and proved that they're ALMOST there. They will play a huge factor in the conference and tournaments before the season ends.

Happy Valley is another Almost there example. Unicio County and Elizabethton certainly agree that the Lady Warriors are a very dangerous tournament matchup.

Unaka played Three pretty good quarters at Unicoi, which is why the Lady Rangers will be hard-pressed to advance in the ratings. Only a win over Cloudland can legitimize their threat for upper-tier placement.

Whether Johnson County can play the spoiler's role is yet to be determined; but the Lady Longhorns can develop into a near-future contender.

Unicoi County is one of the three teams with some chance of playing a Sub-State game. The development of Edwards could become The Difference come tournament time.

Interesting that Freshmen could be the vital ingredient for post-season success. Of course, Cloudland and Unaka are chock-full in numbers; but Miriah of EHS, and Edwards - Unicoi County - could be THE Player who puts her respective team on Forty West after the Sub-States are played.

*A day early this week. Not sure where I'll be tomorrow. But then, none of us really are, huh?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Elizabethton (Control their own destiny in the conference)

2. Cloudland (Still like their state chances)

3. Unicoi Co. (Becoming more dangerous each week)

4. Happy Valley (Close, but can't quite win a big one)

5. Unaka (Will have to fight off the Dogs for this spot)

6. Hampton (Close, but no cigar)

7. Johnson County (Ski season is nice in the mountains)

I have to agree with coachh17, top to bottom. The Cyclones and Landers are the top two this week and there's sound logic to rank them in either order. Unicoi would be a close number three and Happy Valley a close four. All four of these teams will be big factors in their regionals. Unaka and Hampton should both make the regional semifinals, and from there who knows. Its a very balanced group of six in the tricounty. Cyclones should handle North tuesday then back into the frying pan next friday at South Greene. Cloudland at Unaka is a huge game on the Creek tuesday.

Edited by CycloneFan

1 Cyclones.....without a doubt

2 Landers.......should have a handle on the 'A' group (did they lose to Hampton? If so, they go to #3 behind the Devils)

2 Blue Devils..could upset any of the above teams

4 Warriors......just can't get over the 'big' humps but will be a dangerous tourny team

5 Rangers......next year, but dangerous for thier competitors now

6 Bulldogs......if looking at Hampton's schedule is correct, the 'Dogs are #5 this week

7 Longhorns...please don't look

I'm out of town, but looking at Hampton's schedule, it shows that they beat the 'Landers. Hard to believe???........the game doesn't show up on the 'Landers schedule on here. What's the deal?

the real top seven

1. cloudland 39-30 how easy glee and coach17 forget "no brainer"

2. elizabethton a ton of weakness bailed out at hv at the end

3. unicoi will beat elizabethton come tournament time

4. happy valley don't know what team will show up

5. hampton starting to play better every game

6. unaka except verses unicoi, the best defensive team of all

7. johnson co. need to play some junior high teams

sorry ehs diehards, the cyclones have to ride on the passenger side in this poll.

Well, it's pretty obvious that any of the top six could beat the other on any given night! Although the Cyclones will probably win their conference, I don't think they are as strong as last year's team (and no, not because of the loss of Baughman) but because of the loss of Redd. The post play is strong enough to make up for the points Rikki scored but Redd gave the Cyclones the speed on defense that they don't seem to have this year. Next year's squad should be the one's to watch (that is if Coach Weems can find a true pg)

Which one of these teams will be playing deep in the post season? Well, in 1A, Cloudland has a good chance but in 2A - NOBODY!! B)

Come on girls, prove Old Blue wrong! B)

1 Cyclones.....without a doubt

2 Landers.......should have a handle on the 'A' group (did they lose to Hampton? If so, they go to #3 behind the Devils)

2 Blue Devils..could upset any of the above teams

4 Warriors......just can't get over the 'big' humps but will be a dangerous tourny team

5 Rangers......next year, but dangerous for thier competitors now

6 Bulldogs......if looking at Hampton's schedule is correct, the 'Dogs are #5 this week

7 Longhorns...please don't look

I'm out of town, but looking at Hampton's schedule, it shows that they beat the 'Landers. Hard to believe???........the game doesn't show up on the 'Landers schedule on here. What's the deal?

The landers beat the bulldogs by a score of 57 to 50.

Only one more hurdle to get over.. better be ready rangers .. the girls are fired up B)

GLee, what's life as a jet-setter really like?

wisemapletree, I heard that Cloudland was actually trailing by FIFTEEN at halftime.

Lady Bulldogs, keep finding ways to get the ball to Jesse Price! She's the most under-rated and under-utilized post player in the area.

PRIDE, Often "true" point guards aren't "found," they're made; and the Lady Cyclones have three potential, very good ones. What will this summer yield?

And it's only fair to give Coach Weems and his team credit for the Lady Cyclones' considerable improvement agaist full-court pressure. Michaela's biggest contribution this season might just be in helping agaisnt the press.

Lady Rangers, Plain and simple: Start like you did in Erwin and the Lady 'Landers will embarrass you ....at Home.

coachh17, "Ski Season!" Too funny!

GLee, what's life as a jet-setter really like?

PRIDE, Often "true" point guards aren't "found," they're made; and the Lady Cyclones have three potential, very good ones. What will this summer yield?

And it's only fair to give Coach Weems and his team credit for the Lady Cyclones' considerable improvement agaist full-court pressure. Michaela's biggest contribution this season might just be in helping agaisnt the press.

[/quote

K, Jet-setting is like being 'broke' and trying to find where the dollars are.

Pride, I'll have to agree as far as defense goes. They do miss the speed and tenacity of Val as they are not very quick, but at the same time they play 'smarter'. Offensively, I'd take the guards we have now. Val offset her scoring with strings of turnovers. I do agree that at this point, the 'Landers have more 'state boundability'(in thier class) than any of the other county teams. At his point.........

Big Pet does help in getting the ball in and up the court with her size and passing ability therefore, somewhat, offsetting the lack of speed. Smarts help. Bit Pet and the other three posts are quite effective on the offensive end. Couldn't win without them.

Edited by GLee

Yep, the 'Landers won the game 57-50, and yep-yep they were down by 15 in the game. Keep finding ways to win though don't they. If the paper person ever gets around to delivering the Sunday papers, I'll get to read about it. I guess the snow and ice here in the clouds has got him stumped.

I'm not sure who put the score up incorrectly, it wasn't me. I have emailed CoachT to correct it, but it hasn't been done yet.

It should be a good game up the creek Tuesday!

The Highlander

1a Elizabethton

1b Unicoi

1c Cloudland

4. Happy Valley

5. Unaka

6. Hampton

7. Johnson County

now for the facts:

Elizabehton had big wins over Unicoi and Happy Valley (both on the road).

Unicoi has improved more than any team in the rankings.

Cloudland is only playing good enough to win at this point.

Happy Valley can play close but doesn't have the guard play to be consistant.

Unaka is reeling but did beat Hampton to keep ranked above them.

Hampton has shown signs of life but again just another close team.

Johnson County is doa.

now for the opinions:

Elizabethton and Happy Valley played on Friday and many are saying it was a good game. Maybe for the fan that doesn't watch much basketball. Both teams struggled at the guard position. Turnovers were the theme for the night and a lot of those being unforced. Sure each team put a little pressure on the other but I don't consider either Elizabethton or Happy Valley a good pressure team. Many shots were missed and a lot of bad shots taken. Both post kids didn't get enough touches in the low post area. And the last basket, aren't you supposed to stop the basketball from going to the goal? HV scored and Elizabethton took it the length of the floor (on the dribble, not going around anyone but straight to the basket) and got fouled from behind on the lay-up. Not very good defense when the game was on the line. And how did HV get the ball to score to tie to begin with? Turnover. Yes, there were some good things. Teams did play hard. At times Elizabethton played well off their post kids. And they did win without Craps playing very well. The post kid from HV plays hard but needs some outside help. Again she spent a lot of the game on the outside. Neither team handled the end of game time very well, but the girl from Elizabethton did step to the line and make both free throws to give them the lead, but if you noticed HV didn't get a bad shot for the win. Both teams will have to greatly improve if they expect to advance in tournament play.