Cash Vs Simpson?

MasterBlaster 1

Winning a state championship today in Tennessee is less difficult than in the years prior to the D1/D2 split. We have wrestlers today that place in the state (both divisions) tournament that would not have made it out of the old districts and into the regional tournament much less the state tournament. I will be one of the first to say that the majority of state champions are better than the state champions were 20 years ago but the problem is depth. The guys that place 2-6 in the state are not as talented as the wrestlers from years past. For justification take a look at how many pins are being scored in the state finals and consolation finals compared to the number of pins before the split and also look at how many team points it now takes to win the state title.

Shout it to the Mountain top. I agree. I think it really shows in some of the D-2 weight classes. Most of the time the top 2 are some of the best in the state but after that it gets thin.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shout it to the Mountain top. I agree. I think it really shows in some of the D-2 weight classes. Most of the time the top 2 are some of the best in the state but after that it gets thin.

Yes it shows in D2 but D1 is not much different. They both have very little depth.

Winning a state championship today in Tennessee is less difficult than in the years prior to the D1/D2 split. We have wrestlers today that place in the state (both divisions) tournament that would not have made it out of the old districts and into the regional tournament much less the state tournament. I will be one of the first to say that the majority of state champions are better than the state champions were 20 years ago but the problem is depth. The guys that place 2-6 in the state are not as talented as the wrestlers from years past.

In some weight classes, some years this may be true. I'm not sure we have a whole lot of Pat Murphy's, Mark Lyle's, and Johnny Lennon's + a David Vance or two :lol: in each weight class every year, but overall...

By comparison:

From memory ;)

1970's - 4 regions/60-80 teams/156 participants with top scorers including McCallie, Baylor, Ryan, Overton, Hixson, Red Bank, East Ridge, ND, Cleveland, Bishop Byrne, Raleigh-Egypt, McGavick, Chatt. Central & Tyner.

Today: 10 regions/200+ teams/448 participants (D-1) Soddy, BC, Clarksville, Franklin, Science Hill, ND, Cleveland, Collierville, Kenwood, Overton, Farragut, Greenville, Red Bank, Ooltewah, Germantown, Brentwood, Tullahoma, Cordova, Houston, Maryville, Ridgeway, Ravenwood, East Ridge, Bartlett, Clarksville NE/NW, Rossville, Hendersonville, Springfield, Rhea Co. :P,,, Blackman and others around Rutherford Co., Cookeville/Crossville (up and coming)and many others that could break the top ten some years.

In some weight classes, some years this may be true. I'm not sure we have a whole lot of Pat Murphy's, Mark Lyle's, and Johnny Lennon's + a David Vance or two B) in each weight class every year, but overall...

By comparison:

From memory :P

1970's - 4 regions/60-80 teams/156 participants with top scorers including McCallie, Baylor, Ryan, Overton, Hixson, Red Bank, East Ridge, ND, Cleveland, Bishop Byrne, Raleigh-Egypt, McGavick, Chatt. Central & Tyner.

Today: 10 regions/200+ teams/448 participants (D-1) Soddy, BC, Clarksville, Franklin, Science Hill, ND, Cleveland, Collierville, Kenwood, Overton, Farragut, Greenville, Red Bank, Ooltewah, Germantown, Brentwood, Tullahoma, Cordova, Houston, Maryville, Ridgeway, Ravenwood, East Ridge, Bartlett, Clarksville NE/NW, Rossville, Hendersonville, Springfield, Rhea Co. :thumb:,,, Blackman and others around Rutherford Co., Cookeville/Crossville (up and coming)and many others that could break the top ten some years.

Soms,

your slippin'. You did not even try to slid hickson in the "Today" list. :P

In some weight classes, some years this may be true. I'm not sure we have a whole lot of Pat Murphy's, Mark Lyle's, and Johnny Lennon's + a David Vance or two :P in each weight class every year, but overall...

By comparison:

From memory :P

Today: 10 regions/200+ teams/448 participants (D-1) Soddy, BC, Clarksville, Franklin, Science Hill, ND, Cleveland, Collierville, Kenwood, Overton, Farragut, Greenville, Red Bank, Ooltewah, Germantown, Brentwood, Tullahoma, Cordova, Houston, Maryville, Ridgeway, Ravenwood, East Ridge, Bartlett, Clarksville NE/NW, Rossville, Hendersonville, Springfield, Rhea Co. :thumb:,,, Blackman and others around Rutherford Co., Cookeville/Crossville (up and coming)and many others that could break the top ten some years.

Soms,

Look at how many pins & tech falls are in the finals and consolation finals along with the number of team points required to win a state title. Sorry but the good wrestlers are very good however the average wrestlers are not up to par with past years. Having more teams does not equate into having good depth in most weight classifications.

Edited by cbg

I agree that the best stay the course but I can go thru a list that have dropped or moved up to have a better shot at a state medal. Look at Borneman form Houston last year. He moved down to 160 to have a better chance to win State.

I just read about the Maryville kid at 130 moving to 135. We can go on about this but you are correct some kids step up and say "here I am take me down from the mountain top" more power to them. But next year I see JMS getting pulled down from that top position by young Cash.

MasterBlaster1

Luke didn't try to move away from anyone. Being on that team and one of his good friends, I can tell you that he was not avoiding anyone. He had planned on moving down the whole year. If you are familiar with the weight system then you know that you have to weigh in a certain amount of times at a certain weight to be able to wrestle there at state and region. I think the reasons he wrestled up were because the coaches thought it would be better for the team. Plus, Luke wrestled Knox later in te year and beat him then. He also wrestled kenny merridith at a post season tournament and teched him, so look at again and see what you think. So, read that and then see how you think of it.

Well, I strated to slip Smyrna in there but after last season, I thought I would wait and see :thumb: . BTW, it's Hick-son (don't forget the hyphen). Oh, Watch out for a 215 at Hixson named Mitchell.

i wrestled against the hixson guy at 215..he was pretty good until i got him down

i think he said he was a freshman? he'll be really good his senior year for sure

Edited by intothechance

[

Luke didn't try to move away from anyone. Being on that team and one of his good friends, I can tell you that he was not avoiding anyone. He had planned on moving down the whole year. If you are familiar with the weight system then you know that you have to weigh in a certain amount of times at a certain weight to be able to wrestle there at state and region. I think the reasons he wrestled up were because the coaches thought it would be better for the team. Plus, Luke wrestled Knox later in te year and beat him then. He also wrestled kenny merridith at a post season tournament and teched him, so look at again and see what you think. So, read that and then see how you think of it.

You may be a good friend of Luke but Knox was undefeated his senior year.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed watching Luke and was looking forward to a Borneman vs Knox match. I think they saw plenty of each other at Cumberland U :lol: I don't think Luke avoided anyone but I know he wanted a State Championship. He came to close in the past to leave his senior year without a State Championship. So I have admired the young man as a fan and not trying to take anything from him but going at 171 would have but a tuffer road. I don't think you can argue that.

I didn't know about the tech of K. Merriith that is a great win. :rolleyes:

But back on subject of Young Cash and his future State Championships!

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

i doubt cash turned him to his back three times and never got points, a ref may have missed one but not three times

My point was not that Justin was robbed. My point was, that the match could have been closer, therefore future matches could be closer. I was retorting a post that speculated that a future match would not be so close.