Jordan Leen

maj

I did hear he is taking an ivy type redshirt meaning he is sitting out a year and doing something else that cornell has set up..he is not attending cornell..and then next year return to school..i think heck have to re-aply but he will get in again.. im not sure what it exactly is but i think its the ivy league's way of getting around red shirting because it is true that u can not redshirt at any ivy league schools.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

bayooobear, you might want to check into your mis-information! Cause you are wrong. Maybe, just maybe, the red head kid from Cornell thought he needed a break from school, so now when he goes back to Cornell next year he will only have 2 years left to graduate and compete. I don't think so!

It's clear that you are not an Ivy grad. :thumb: I'm not wrong. I SAID...a student has 4 years to complete their course work at an IVY League school. I SAID...there is no redshirting in the IVY League. I didn't say he couldn't take 5 years to do it. What Jordan is doing is commonplace in the Ivy League. Student athletes take a year off from school. They are not enrolled. They come back, finish school and therefore have 4 years to compete.

It's clear that you are not an Ivy grad. :thumb: I'm not wrong. I SAID...a student has 4 years to complete their course work at an IVY League school. I SAID...there is no redshirting in the IVY League. I didn't say he couldn't take 5 years to do it. What Jordan is doing is commonplace in the Ivy League. Student athletes take a year off from school. They are not enrolled. They come back, finish school and therefore have 4 years to compete.

Good recovery :thumb:

My son is at UTC and I believe he told me that Jordan is taking classes there this semester and he comes and works out with the team some, to stay in shape, but he is not on the team. He is there studying. It is something through his school, where you study at another school for a time. It is similar to studying abroad.

When my son described it that way (for his dumb blonde, polish mom to understand) it sounded funny to me. I asked him if everyone thought Chatt-town was a foreign country.

BayouBear - check out Meltzer, Max, Harvard, Jr 141. There are ways that some get that 5th year even at the Ivy's but its not as simple as declaring a redshirt and practicing with the team an extra season.

WV - Metzler did the same thing that JL is doing. He sat out of school for a year. It usually works just just like JL's situation. Kids come in and wrestle for one year and sometimes two. Then they do not enroll the following year. Many of these kids do some sort of professional internship, go abroad, study at another school or go home to work and train. They return to school to complete their academics, as well as, their eligibility.

There is some grumbling among some of the schools that this needs to stop but I doubt it will happen. Athletes do it in every sport....football, basketball, hockey, etc.

Edited by BayouBear