Tennessee Recruiting Update!

Sequatchie

I have a question about the Tennessee redshirts from last year's recruiting class, and it is a question and not a statement. I know that many who read and post on this board are Vols fans, so I am asking for information, not trying to make a point.

My question is: How good are the redshirts from last season...AND, since the Tennessee team was pretty bad last season--certainly weak at receiver, in the secondary, and on special teams--if Tennessee had these players on campus and practicing with the team last season, did the coaching staff have an ethical obligation to the loyal Tennessee fans to promote them and play them. Tennessee has a very good fan base, people who pay a lot of money for tickets, booster club dues, trips from across the state to Knoxville. Was there any obligation to those fans to put the best team possible on the field?

I would like to read some opinions from Vol watchers who know a lot more about the recruits than I do.

What gotmilk? said is part of the answer the other is injuries QB - Jon Crompton had shoulder problems and both Freshmen runningbacks Montario Hardesty tore an MCL in the the only game he played in and Lamarcus Coker still had knee problems from high school. The other players were just not ready some of them were lineman and din't have the body weight or strenght for the SEC level yet.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee has a QB!!

**** - QB - Nick Stephens (6'4, 210, 4.9) Flower Mound, TX has commited to the University of Tennessee. Rated as the #11 Pro Style QB in the Nation by Scout and the #15 by Rivals.

He missed all of his Junior season and that probably cost him the chance at being a Top 5 QB prospect.

Stephens Senior season stats

Passing - 194 of 353 - 2,604, 24 Tds. - 12 Int.

(55% compeletion percentage) Average of 260.4 yards a game. Played in Texas 5A Class.

He originally commited to Ole Miss but they had some coaching changes and took commitments from three other Qb's including two Junior College QB's one is JC - QB Brent Schaeffer (Yes that Brent Schaeffer :lol: )

When Tennessee hired David Cutcliffe he decided to look around and took two trips one to Tennessee and this past weekend at Michigan and that clinched it for the Big Orange.

Nick chose Tennessee over the following schools all offered scholorships!

Michigan

Ole Miss

Georgia Tech

Illinois

Oklahoma State

Washington State

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

*** - DE - Victor Thomas (6'4, 250, 4.9) Olive Branch, MS has commited to the University of Tennessee he is considered to be the #37 Strongside DE in the country by Unapproved Website and the #58 overall DE in the country by Scout.com.

He commited to Tennessee over scholorship offers from...

LSU

Florida

Ole Miss

Arkansas

Mississippi State

Louisville

Edited by Sequatchie

UPDATE!!

** - WR - Stephaun Raines (6'0, 175, 4.4) Dalton, GA

Has commited to Tennessee the reason he isn't rated higher is he did not attend any camps. He is reported to run a 4.4 and some say he has run a 4.3!

Raines as a Junior he had 49 catches for 912 yards and 8 tds. He also had 12 carries for 187 yards. He earned All-Area and All Tri-State honors as Junior.

This past season as Senior at Dalton High he had 42 catches for 702 yards and 7 tds. He also rushed for 900 yards on 140 carries and 8tds.

He is a 1st team All-State selection to the Georgia Associated Press Class 4A team as well as 1st team for the Class 4A Atlanta Journal Constitution All-State team.

He has also been nominated for the Red Zone "Old Spice Player of The Year" award!

He commited to Tennessee over offers from...

Arkansas

South Carolina

Georgia Tech

UAB

Middle Tennessee State

------------------------------------------------------------

Don't let the star ranking fool you on this guy folks he can play. He can make guys miss with great moves and then run away form everyone else! This is a great pickup!! :lol:

It appears Coach Cutcliffe & new WR Coach Trooper Taylor is trying to get some speed and quickness into the WR corps with this commitment as well as Brent Vinson who also runs a (4.4) and Quintin Hancock (4.5)! :D

Edited by Sequatchie

Why in the blue blazes do we need ANOTHER top rated quarterback?

1.) Erik Ainge will be Junior.

2.) Jonathan Crompton is coming off shoulder surgery.

3.) There isn't a #3 thats why Tennessee went hard after Stephens and Mitch Mustian unless you feel safe with Jim Bob Cooter taking snaps. :D

Cause the one we had last year folded and the one we recruited lasy year had shoulder problems! And we dont want to be stuck with another Rick Clausen starting!!! :ph34r:

We might yet have another Clausen starting at Tennessee in the future I have seen where Jimmy Clausen along with three or four of his hs teammates are visiting Tennessee this weekend.

I think Coach Fulmer should offer everyone of them a scholorship while there here!

There is no way we shouldn't try everything we got to land him.

1.) Erik Ainge will be Junior.

2.) Jonathan Crompton is coming off shoulder surgery.

3.) There isn't a #3 thats why Tennessee went hard after Stephens and Mitch Mustian unless you feel safe with Jim Bob Cooter taking snaps. :ph34r:

We might yet have another Clausen starting at Tennessee in the future I have seen where Jimmy Clausen along with three or four of his hs teammates are visiting Tennessee this weekend.

I think Coach Fulmer should offer everyone of them a scholorship while there here!

Fulmer doesn't have anything THEY want. Only Cutcliffe does and the book is still out. :D

BIG UPDATE!!

**** - OL - Ramone Johnson (6'4, 310, 5.0) Chicago, IL

Ramone Johnson has commited to the University of Tennessee.

Johnson was #1 ranked player in the state of Illinois according to Scout.com and the #26 overall in the Nation. Unapproved Website ranks Ramone as the #16 overall Offensive guard in the Country. He will join the 9th rated guard Jacques McClendon who is also expected to sign with Tennessee on Wednesday.

Ramone chose the Vols after a visit last weekend to the home state school Illinois he also had offers from the following..........

Illinois

Penn State

Nebraska

Minnesota

Michigan State

Oregon

Northern Illinois

----------------------------------------------------

This is another big time pickup for the Big Orange.

Tennessee now has four big time offensive lineman can you imagine this front four in two or three years.

**** - OL - Jacques McClendon (6'3, 295, 5.1) Chattanooga, TN

**** - OL - Cody Pope (6'5, 275, 5.0) San Diego, CA

**** - OL - Darrius Myers (6'4, 315) Chatham, VA, Hargrave Military Academy

Don't forget Tennessee signed the #1 rated center prospect last spring **** - Josh McNeil (6'4, 280) He reshirted last year and should get the chance to earn the starting spot at center in spring practice.

Unapproved Website's Southeast region recruiting analyst J.C. Shurburtt said about University of Tennessee's recruiting class...

"I'm not going to say it's a great class, but I think it's a decent one," Shurburtt said. "I think they'll be pleased with (Stephens) - that was a good pickup at quarterback. They were smart this time by getting some high character guys who they can build around."

IF that doesn't some up what america thinks of the past recruited classes of UT, I don't know what does. Though many of them have been great recruits, apparently it took just a few bad apples to make america perceive UT as a Thug University. That's the danger of allowing those bad apples in. They can spoil the whole bunch, at least in the eyes of the world. :thumb:

Notice how I specifically pointed out Rick! I would like to see Jimmy come to Tennessee!!!

BIG UPDATE!!

Ramone Johnson has commited to the University of Tennessee.

Johnson was #1 ranked player in the state of Illinois according to Scout.com and the #26 overall in the Nation. Unapproved Website ranks Ramone as the #16 overall Offensive guard in the Country. He will join the 9th rated guard Jacques McClendon who is also expected to sign with Tennessee on Wednesday.

Ramone chose the Vols after a visit last weekend to the home state school Illinois he also had offers from the following..........

Illinois

Penn State

Nebraska

Minnesota

Michigan State

Oregon

Northern Illinois

----------------------------------------------------

This is another big time pickup for the Big Orange.

Tennessee now has four big time offensive lineman can you imagine this front four in two or three years.

**** - OL - Jacques McClendon (6'3, 295, 5.1) Chattanooga, TN

**** - OL - Cody Pope (6'5, 275, 5.0) San Diego, CA

**** - OL - Darrius Myers (6'4, 315) Chatham, VA, Hargrave Military Academy

Don't forget Tennessee signed the #1 rated center prospect last spring **** - Josh McNeil (6'4, 280) He reshirted last year and should get the chance to earn the starting spot at center in spring practice.

Pope has had a change of heart and now leaning toward U.S.C.