Referees

MECANER

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had two of them at the Wilson Central vs Lavergne game last night. At the start of the 2nd half, one ref was too busy talking to the crowd to realize they were waiting on him to get in the game - the other ref had to blow his whistle to get his attention before they could start the 3rd qtr. The other ref looked like he was trying to hold on to some glory days by flirting with the cheerleaders.

Are there any worse refs than what is in the IMAC? Decided outcome of 2 games last night with late calls.

Explain. Should they stop blowing the whistle just because it is late in the game? Were they bad calls? I bet your team was on the wrong end of the calls. That is the life of a ref, but at least half of the fans went home happy.

Explain. Should they stop blowing the whistle just because it is late in the game? Were they bad calls? I bet your team was on the wrong end of the calls. That is the life of a ref, but at least half of the fans went home happy.

BAD calls against his team.

Morristown East and West.

East girls led the entire game almost and let West get a 3 point lead under 10 seconds. East was trying to foul and the East girl went for the ball and held a jersey and the official called an intentional foul - effectively ending the game.

In the boys game, they called a push off a missed free-throw rebound when both kids went straight up. The kid who was fouled for West went to the line and hit two free-throws and West wound up winning in overtime. Of course, East blew an 8 point lead with 1:00 left in regulation.

East girls led the entire game almost and let West get a 3 point lead under 10 seconds. East was trying to foul and the East girl went for the ball and held a jersey and the official called an intentional foul - effectively ending the game.

In the boys game, they called a push off a missed free-throw rebound when both kids went straight up. The kid who was fouled for West went to the line and hit two free-throws and West wound up winning in overtime. Of course, East blew an 8 point lead with 1:00 left in regulation.

Well if what you say is true, you would think that the refs would give the benefit of the doubt to the girl that although it was probably intentional, they would not call it that way. And in the boys game that would seem to be a picky foul to call under the circumstances, although the refs most likely had a better view of the action than the fans or sportswriters as well.

I have also seen the exact opposite happen late in a game as refs sometimes do not want to be a factor in the outcome of the game and fail to call much of anything late in a tight game. An infraction is an infraction regardless of when it happens during the game.

The balance of most games do not come down to one play. At least in the boys game it sounds as if east had taken care of business with an 8 point lead under a minute to go they would not have to worry about a bad call at the end.

Well if what you say is true, you would think that the refs would give the benefit of the doubt to the girl that although it was probably intentional, they would not call it that way. And in the boys game that would seem to be a picky foul to call under the circumstances, although the refs most likely had a better view of the action than the fans or sportswriters as well.

I have also seen the exact opposite happen late in a game as refs sometimes do not want to be a factor in the outcome of the game and fail to call much of anything late in a tight game. An infraction is an infraction regardless of when it happens during the game.

The balance of most games do not come down to one play. At least in the boys game it sounds as if east had taken care of business with an 8 point lead under a minute to go they would not have to worry about a bad call at the end.

Right. Can't fault the officials for East blowing the 8 point lead.

I wasn't at the game, but I'm merely going on the observations of two guys who were on the floor, but on different sides of the floor.

I can see the foul on the free-throws (why East didnt back off the lines was beyond me....even if East did clank both free-throws, which they did....west still had only time for two dribbles and about a 75-foot shot).

The foul in the girls game was one of those that was stupid from what I hear. An intentional foul to me (someone who has called some in the past) is when someone intentionally fouls someone (not in a situation where they are trying to foul and send someone to the line, I won't call that intentional), gives an intentional push to someone, undercuts someone hard on a layup, etc. If a girl grabs a jersey with 7 seconds to go in a close game no way, no way I call that intentional.

Well at least in the boys game Decker's brain froze up. What the heck does he have his team on the foul line with 3 seconds left????????? You are asking for someone to either get in the lane too soon or do the unthinkable... foul... which was the only way west had any chance of winning unless they could some how throw it in the basket from the opposite end of the court. Was it a sorry call at the end, absolutely, but it should never have come to that.

The same refs allowed a west player to totally wrap up a east player(boys game) at the end of regulation.The same ref (Lon Thornton) called a holding foul not a intentional, even tho both fouls had the same intent. He should be banned from doing any games at East. Not sour grapes because we did blow a lead(coaching helped) , but Thornton has always been partial to the trojans.

After watching many games and after each game thinking how bad these refs are i have some to the conclusion that it is ME becausse there is no wy there are that many bad refs. While i may holler from time to time at a ref i wont critize THEM the call maybe but not them unless i am willing to go to the meetings and camps and grab a whislte and be a ref myself i wont do that So while you are calling some of these refs by name on here please ask yourself are going to do it and will you do a better job if so...send in $35 to TSSAA and they will get you started with the association closest to you. And yes last night at our game there were 3 calls that fouled out one of our better players that could have cost us the game too.