Tri-County Seven - By Sports Edit

krichunaka

1) Cloudland - - - - - - - - - At University High Tuesday.

2) Elizabethton - - - - - - - - At Chuckey Doak; Home Friday for West Greene.

3) Unicoi County - - - - - - - Home against Johnson County; at Sullivan North.

4) Happy Valley - - - - - - - Play Sullivan North and South Greene at Home.

5) Unaka - - - - - - - - - - - At Cosby Tuesday; Home for Johnson County.

6) Hampton - - - - - - - - - - At Chudkey Doak Thursday.

7) Johnson County - - - - - - Unicoi County and Unaka on the Road.

Cloudland, to include Freshmen, played like a veteran club at Unaka.

Elizabethton won a tougher-than-expected thriller at South Greene. Which is what the truly good teams do.

After the devastating home loss to Elizabethton, the Lady Blue Devils defeated the Lady Warriors at Happy Valley, embarrassed Unaka; won at Chuckey Doak and at South Greene just before the loss at West Greene.

After losing to the Big Two of the Watauga Conference the previous week, the Lady Warriors regrouped against Johnson County and Chuckey Doak.

Unaka was unimpressive against Cloudland; bounced back to play their best game (that I've seen) against the Lady Junior Bucs.

Hampton Defeated Johnson County and North Greene.

Johnson County won against Sullivan North.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Cyclones (based on SOS)

1. Landers (like EHS undefeated in conference play)

3. HV (won both games this week)

3. Unicoi (beat SG but cannot overlook loss to WG; so tie with HV this week)

5. Unaka (loss to co-1 CHS; rebounded to beat UH handily)

6. Hampton (gonna beat somebody at tournament time, but who?)

7. Johnson Co. (improving team-beat North)

I can now understand how SG beat CHS twice. The SG team EHS beat six weeks ago was not the team EHS beat friday night. SG will be a handful for any team in mid February. As the season goes on, teams must continue to improve or risk getting caught and passed by less talented teams on a given night. Who would have given WG any chance of beating Unicoi? They were 2-17 on the year. But on friday night in their gym they were hearing that Hoosiers theme. I know that game will give Fisher nightmares, but it really emphasizes what high school athletics is all about. These are young student athletes playing, and practicing their butts off for their school. Lets give em a hand. All of them! :angry:

Edited by CycloneFan

1a Elizabethton

1b Cloudland

3a Unicoi County

3b Happy Valley

5a Unaka

5b Hampton

7 Johnson County

Still can't seperate the top two teams. Elizabethton escapes with a win at South Greene and Cloudland continues to win. Cloudland does have a win over Elizabethton, which we all know, so I can't find any reason to seperate the two.

Unicoi's loss was a major setback. Happy Valley won despite Williams not carrying the load. Have to rank Unicoi with Happy Valley because they (Unicoi) did beat them (Happy Valley) last week. Also have to rank Unaka with Hampton (or I would be just like Cyclonefan) together giving Hampton credit for their big win on the road against North Greene (which Unaka was not able to do). Johnson County gets my respect award for last week with all the team went through and still came up with a win against Sullivan North. Of course that doesn't get them out of the bottom but it does speak something of their character.

nice poll and strong reasonig Cyclonefan. From an indifferent girls basketball fan

Thanks for checking in, noonesfool; but when are you coming up for a game? We'd promise you free hotdogs, but like "Fan," none of us ever follows through with such Big Talk.

And to sorta, kinda back down (just a little), I wouldn't toss these teams in a sack, and hope to pick out the true Number One.

CycloneFan got to see the Lady Rangers at Unicoi County. UGGG-LEEE! But they seem to be settling down a little. And Hampton? Nobody wants to have to play them a Third, or Fourth time this season. In fact, I expect them to beat either or both of their County Rivals ....before the regular season ends.

Kim

....and as Promised!:

"Krich, I'm off to see the Wizard, so if you would, kindly transfer my rankings to your next week's edition."

So, on behalf of the General!

For the week of the 22nd.......

1.Cylcones

2.Landers

3.Warriors

3.Devils

5.Rangers

6.Bulldogs

7.Longhorns

Thanks guy.

and Screenandroll, I read your "ending" to last week's thread; very good post. It was obvious you'd been around before.

And you're becoming a celebrity of sorts. Keep up the good work; then they can toss you and me into the same ditch at season's end. :angry:

Edited by krichunaka

Krich, been in that ditch before, have crawled out many times. It's kind of like a home away from home.

Now another question, do you really think Hampton can beat both of the county teams before the regular season ends. Well, I know they can, anything can happen, but do you think they will? I haven't seen them play since the Thanksgiving tournament. Know they have improved some. Give me some reasons why you "expect" this to happen.

and if you want to see me at a game, I'll be the one in the dark glasses and the fake beard trying to hide my celeb status.

Krich, been in that ditch before, have crawled out many times. It's kind of like a home away from home.

Now another question, do you really think Hampton can beat both of the county teams before the regular season ends. Well, I know they can, anything can happen, but do you think they will? I haven't seen them play since the Thanksgiving tournament. Know they have improved some. Give me some reasons why you "expect" this to happen.

and if you want to see me at a game, I'll be the one in the dark glasses and the fake beard trying to hide my celeb status.

Yes, they can, and very-well might defeat both, at Hampton. They had Cloudland on the ropes, at Cloudland; they also had two decent shots at defeating the lady Rangers, at Unaka. And they're a very proud bunch, especially at home.

Their foot speed at post actually presents more of a challenge to the Lady Highlanders, especially if the guards can throw down a few bombs. Jessica Price is unbelievably under-rated; and she'll be sizzling if Hampton can keep Cloudland from sagging.

Personnel-wise, Hampton matches up very well with both teams.

I agree with Krich, and I assure you no one at Cloudland is taking Hampton lightly. For that matter, I don't think area teams should blow-off the chance that University High could slip one over.

Krich, thanks for the comments about CHS playing like veterans at Unaka. I think they looked pretty good too, especially considering we sent two kids to the hospital during the evening. The 'Landers didn't let that faze them, in fact it may have fired them up.

The Highlander

I wouldn't think Cloudland would be taking Hampton lightly. But do think they will handle them even if it is at Hampton. Should be a close and interesting game but just don't think Hampton has enough man power to keep Cloudland from scoring. Cloudland would have to have an off night (which is always possible) for them to win. Now on the other hand, they might beat Unaka at home. Unaka will have to play well to beat Hampton. The team that shoots it the best will probably win that game or could look at it as the team that plays the better defense will win. Has probably a lot more to do with the better defense, because poor defense will lead to good shooting.

Highlander, do you really, and I mean really think UH can beat Cloudland? I know you are just a nice person and don't want your team to get overconvident but I don't think they have much of a chance of losing to UH. 90% to 10% they will win, maybe even higher. Your getting to sound like Krich, just kidding, wouldn't put that off on anyone.

S&R,

No, I don't really think that UH has the talent to play with the 'Landers. I guess that is a little different than saying they can't beat us. The way this season is going, and playing a team at home, I would not want any of our county teams to go off with a big head. UH surprised me in Roan Mountain. Previous years when they got down a little, they gave up. They really didn't do that this year.

I don't think the talent matches up anywhere across the board with CHS. And I believe that the 'Landers are improving week by week. Neither the junior varsity nor the varsity is the same team they were early in the season. By the way, I think the jv only has one loss. Good times just keep on coming to the clouds!

The Highlander