Tri-County Seven - By Sports Edit

krichunaka

I know much less about basketball than any of you. My "knowledge," if you could call it that, is limited more to the "personnel" side of the game, inasmuch as I watch for strengths of players, their contributions to the team, etc., and pass the word on "up" for those most interested in playing on.

And Highlander, thanks for the thanks! Cloudland, in the two most relevant games (for the sake of continuing the dialogue here), has responded like true veterans. Lunsford, Clawson, Banner, Mathies, Edwards, et al, have experienced many beatings, and most-specifically by Unaka, and the disaster at Happy Valley at the hands of the Lady Cyclones. They don't intend for that to happen again.

That, the Resolve, is the missing intangible of the other teams. But Elizabethton's recent clutch wins are starting to pay huge dividends. They're becoming like Cloudland, in that we see them "refuse to lose."

I also believe Unaka will win a tournament, because: Taylor is almost there (remember, she had to sit out the entire Summer, and didn't practice until late October); Johnson is becoming what brutus said she could (in spite of the criticism); Babb will dominate when the cast around her is focused; Winters is no longer a Freshman; Bowman is getting her sea legs back; the bench is more reliable; especially defensively. Coach Chambers is gaining confidence in ALL his players; a very good sign, considering how he loves using the bench, especially in tournament play.

Incidentally, Santana Clawson is Cloudland's best defender. :angry:

Edited by krichunaka

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, according to the scoreboard my beloved Ladies of the Creek went to Cosby and got a whoopin.' Not the first time that's happened; always a tough place to play. Can't wait to see the scoresheet. Or not. Hang in there, Lady Rangers.

One of those "non-counters," though I don't think there is such a thing; but certainly not a good loss in any respect.

So, what about Unicoi County at Johnson County; Elizabethton at Chuckey Doak; Cloudland at University School; and Sullivan North at Happy Valley?

Edited by krichunaka

Well, according to the scoreboard my beloved Ladies of the Creek went to Cosby and got a whoopin.' Not the first time that's happened; always a tough place to play. Can't wait to see the scoresheet. Or not. Hang in there, Lady Rangers.

One of those "non-counters," though I don't think there is such a thing; but certainly not a good loss in any respect.

So, what about Unicoi County at Johnson County; Elizabethton at Chuckey Doak; Cloudland at University School; and Sullivan North at Happy Valley?

Just come on and ride with me to the Tournaments! I'll have the Classic Rock of the 70's and 80's in the CD player!

Sounds like another down in the up and down Lady Ranger season. Good thing it gets erased when the tourney starts.

And on the note that games before the tournament don't count, I'd be willing to bet most teams finishing at the bottom of their conference will still reward their players with trophies. In today's sports world, kids go 0-10 in say football all will get a trophy. What happened to earning the hardware? Can't stand seeing kids rewarded for being average or below average. What are we teaching them?? That average is OK. Try telling that to an employer.(Off of my soap box now)

Edited by osubrutus

'Lander Update:

Well, we left the land of clouds and traveled all the way to Brooks Gym tonight to play University School. The most difficult task of the evening was to find a parking place at ETSU.

The Junior Varsity girls went through UH like a tornado, 30-8 at the break, and a final of 56-16. This was BJ Johnson's first game after her injury at Unaka, and she was a little excited, two fouls in the first 61 seconds of the game! J Miller played a very good game, at point mostly. She dropped only two threes on the Jr. Bucs, down from her average from behind the line lately. I think she finished with ten points. Sydnie Buchanan and the rest of the team pretty much had their way with UH.

The Varsity game was over after the first couple of minutes also. 29-10 at the half and 45-28 final. Jessica Mathies had an outstanding first half, and a good second half. Great to see her play that well. Jess Lunsford, Heather Banner, Lyndsey Edwards and the rest of the team all had good games. Coach B. went deep into the bench again and spread minutes around.

One thing I can definitely criticize in both games. REALLY poor foul shooting. I think I know what the ladies will be working on in practice!

The Highlander

OSU,

At this level, I agree with you. These kids know if they have earned an award or not, and most would not appreciate being given something they feel they don't deserve. Plus it dilutes the value of the truly earned awards.

On the other hand, EVERY kid that puts forth an effort for a season deserves to be congratulated, and bragged on. We should build up character, and recognize effort, even if the level of talent itself might not warrant an award. Just don't do it by inventing awards for the "Best Save of a Falling Gatorade Bottle" or something.

Totally off track, but how about the Johnson City rec clubs? With certain groups, they don't even keep scores. I guarantee you that the parents, and most of the kids know what it was though!

The Highlander

Just come on and ride with me to the Tournaments! I'll have the Classic Rock of the 70's and 80's in the CD player!

Sounds like another down in the up and down Lady Ranger season. Good thing it gets erased when the tourney starts.

And on the note that games before the tournament don't count, I'd be willing to bet most teams finishing at the bottom of their conference will still reward their players with trophies. In today's sports world, kids go 0-10 in say football all will get a trophy. What happened to earning the hardware? Can't stand seeing kids rewarded for being average or below average. What are we teaching them?? That average is OK. Try telling that to an employer.(Off of my soap box now)

First of all OSU, I'm speechless! I can't believe that you just said that when so many kids read this. I'm sure there are teams with a record of 0-10 that work just as hard as a team that's 10-0, maybe just not the same talent. Look at all the time these kids put in - every one should be rewarded in some way or another. Trophies are not as important as a good pat on the back sometimes. You're right - what are we teaching them? That if you're not a superstar, you're no good? And yes, average is okay in a lot of situations. If average is the best a kid can do then that's wonderful for that particular child. Every child may not be superior in sports but you know, as much as I love sports, sports is not everything. If I'm guessing right, most of us that post were never stars in sports in school. Most of the things I treasure most from being a child are trophies I got. No, I wasn't the best but I gave it 110%. Anyway, I think you need to rethink your post. Sounds like you've been hanging around Coach H17 too long.

Lady Cyclones beat Chuckey Doak tonight 40-29. They pretty much controlled this game from the start, leading by 13-2 at the end of the first and 21-7 at the half. Needless to say, defense was pretty good in the first half. Second half EHS kinda coasted a little and let CD hang around alot longer than they should have. Intensity just wasnt there. I'm sure coach Weems will address this in practice! Jennings was a nonfactor. Not a great shooting night by EHS but good enough to get it done. This game completes a road sweep by the lady cyclones in the conference. Now comes the five game conference closing home stand starting with West Greene friday followed by Unicoi next tuesday.

JV won by 20 coachh. And boys varsity won as well. Charles Peters played tonight for the first time since his knee injury during football season.

Edited by CycloneFan

Amen, OBPRIDE! That brutus - seventeen combination is the equilavent to child abuse.

But truth is; brutus was an excellent coach, and though he keeps trying to find ways not to admit it, he is a Great Guy. My son played for him in elementary - and yes, at the time, he was one of the younger, less-talented on the baseball team that, most of them, had, or would go to win a couple Junior Babe Ruth State Championship. Chris, my son, thought there wasn't anything like Coach. How pathetic is that? :thumb:

Everyone should get a trophy - one of those coin-like things they used to give out for making all conference - a metal-medal :thumb:

Elizabethton and Cloudland took care of business:

The Lady Cyclones by eleven - 40 - 29?

The Lady 'Landers by seventeen- 45 - 28.

Sounds about right; EHs and CHS starting to play "tournament-type" defense! And holding Cosby to 41, at Cosby, might have been a better showing than it might appear; but we'll wait for details.

Edited by krichunaka