Why no recognition?

utladyvols18

There are many players that get recognized and talked about for scoring points.....well how do they get these points.....ASSISTS...you cant have the points without the assists so why dont these "assisters" get any recognition?

Because assists aren't as sexy as scores. Just like a blocker never gets recognition in football when that block is what enabled a running back to score a touchdown. It's a thankless job!

Because assists aren't as sexy as scores. Just like a blocker never gets recognition in football when that block is what enabled a running back to score a touchdown. It's a thankless job!

what does being sexy have to do with anything? Someone with assists deserve just as much recognition as a person with points..it is not a thankless job it is something that deserves tons of thanks.

OK... for what it's worth, here's my opinion. Most people don't watch close enough to know who to credit for the assist. Coaches may watch the tapes and keep up with it that way. But as a parent & fan I wouldn't want to have to keep up with this and try to enjoy the game.

P S This is why we are in awe of PageMan. He does a fantastic job of keeping stats!!

you totally misunderstood what girlpower meant

Culleokarep, you're right. Most people in the stands are not "stats people" like Page Man, :thumb: who is incredible. Most people in the crowd are into the excitement of a great 3-point shot, a dunk, or a violent blocked shot on defense. Just notice at games what gets the reaction from the crowd. Assists are very important to success in a game, as are rebounds...that's why I said it's a thankless job.

Assists aren't recorded very well for some teams, the stats are done as well as possible for the team here..the team scores around 55 a game but only has about 12 assists a game, with leader having about 3.5. Some teams have more than 20 assists per game, somehow, despite scoring around that same average.

Assists is a very unrecognized stat that needs more coverage from the press and praise from supporters. The press is interested in points and rebounds, but assists get lost in the shuffle. Several times this season when I'm checking things at the scoring table between the girls and boys games, reporters ask me around rebounds, but never about assists. If possible, I try to congratulate the Page girls who made the most assists. They certainly need more recognition.

Keeping live assists is tough to do and requires great attention to get it right. Sometimes I miss some as I'm writing down who got the defensive rebound, but most of the time I get the info from someone sitting close by or from my spotter if he's there. Not every pass before a score is an assist. The pass must clearly give the scorer an advantage. If the scorer makes a move to get open, then the previous pass may not be an assist. It's a judgment call in some cases.

As for the number of assists, in depends on the style of play of a team. If a team drives a lot, there are less assists. If a team rebounds well offensively and has a lot of put backs, then there are less assists. Also, free throws don't give a players assists eventhough the pass did give the shooter an advantage. There is another topic on here that has a link to stats rules for NCAA. I suggest checking it out to see what really constitutes an assist.

Here is the link: http://www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/ba...tball_stats.pdf

This is a pdf document that requires the specified reader

Edited by PageMan

There are some really good points listed here. Some others that don't get recogonition are "Setting a pick" or taking a "Charge". These sometimes are some great momentum shifters! Things like this can help determing the out come of a close game. Because they don't show in the books, most of the time they go unrecognized.

Most of the time, you can tell who in the stands has been around the game for a while because they will yell great pass before they yell for the player that made the shot. I am glad there are people like PageMan that do take the time to try and get it right. I wish every team had a rep like him at their games so we could always have a good report, but it is so much work. That is what makes the PageMan special.

HOOPS TO YA!!!!!!

kw