McCallie Wins

ru4mocs

I don't recall a reversal of wrestling fortunes in such a short period of time. Says a lot about GC's coaching and motivational skills. Jim Morgan's comments after the match were pure class and what you would expect from a future hall of famer. To paraphrase, " We wrestled very well but they wrestled better." He didn't try to cheapen McC's win by poor mouthing his wrestlers' efforts. Maj would have been proud!

Edited by takedown3

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats mainly to the 5 blue wrestlers and the 1 red wrestler who went to work this past week and reversed the outcome from the prior weekend, that's what its all about. Let's see if the red boys can respond with an improved game plan and execution. It makes for even greater drama in 2 weeks especially since MBA established themselves as a legit contender as PinU46 pointed out. As for the stalling calls, I saw very little from either side and if you will notice the protested calls only occurred every other match. Should be a great traditional tourney.

Congratulations to McCallie. Quite simply, they were better last night. I also think that Baylor was overconfident and overlooked the fact that McCallie was not going to lay down and settle for 2nd place. Nonetheless, I do look forward to my Raiders having a chance to redeem themselves in two weeks. I know that they will work very hard and go into the Traditional State Tournament focused and determined.

From my observations this weekend, I want to offer a word of warning to both the Blue and Red nations -- DO NOT overlook MBA! Were it not for McCallie receiving 6 points for a defensive pin at 189 and a last second (Literally. The clock read 5:59) pin at 130, it would not have been an all-Chattanooga final. I watched MBA wrestle McCallie, CBHS, and Ryan, and they are talented, driven, and well-coached. Undoubtedly, the Big Red have a legitimate shot at the Traditional State Title and could win it if the Chattanooga teams are overconfident. Just the opinion of a disappointed Raider fan.

Once again, well done McCallie!

Good observation. MBA has a top 3-5 dual team considering all teams this season!!

I don't recall a reversal of wrestling fortunes in such a short period of time. Says a lot about GC's coaching and motivational skills. Jim Morgan's comments after the match were pure class and what you would expect from a future hall of famer. To paraphrase, " We wrestled very well but they wrestled better." He didn't try to cheapen McC's win by poor mouthing his wrestlers' efforts. Maj would have been proud!

:thumb:

Goss got it started, Austin never gave up, the seniors did what seniors had to do and got pins when required, 103 wins in overtime, 119 sacrifces his vanity to make weight, and the rest of the boys came in to fight for their rings! How many broken noses are we nursing at last count?

Baylor coaching is a class act but the Blue staff went way beyond the call of duty. They were able to take an emotionally drained team from their squeaker win with MBA and somehow get the boys re-tooled and re-focused for Baylor. I was amazed that GC and company was able to pick up their exhausted team from the semi's and have them ready to become champions in only 5 hours. That was the most impressive story of the weekend and is a large part of why the McCallie boys can now claim to be state champions for the rest of their lives! Hats off to the supporting JV wrestlers. They were a critical component in getting "A" team boys ready for the state after the loss to Baylor last week and in helping with the round of 8.

Can't say enough about the fact that this was truly a team effort and a team win.

McCallie IS the State Champion and that can never be taken away!

Gee I love this sport

its about time baylor got called for a stalling penalty and finally one that hurt...red in wrestling you have to wrestle...its in the rules..... GO BLUE!!!!!

william kent, it takes away from the sweetness of victory when comments like that are made. for mccallie to come back after what the papers called an "embarrasment" from baylor to win state duals is a great story. complaining bout stall points is not.

Goss got it started, Austin never gave up, the seniors did what seniors had to do and got pins when required, 103 wins in overtime, 119 sacrifces his vanity to make weight, and the rest of the boys came in to fight for their rings! How many broken noses are we nursing at last count?

Baylor coaching is a class act but the Blue staff went way beyond the call of duty. They were able to take an emotionally drained team from their squeaker win with MBA and somehow get the boys re-tooled and re-focused for Baylor. I was amazed that GC and company was able to pick up their exhausted team from the semi's and have them ready to become champions in only 5 hours. That was the most impressive story of the weekend and is a large part of why the McCallie boys can now claim to be state champions for the rest of their lives! Hats off to the supporting JV wrestlers. They were a critical component in getting "A" team boys ready for the state after the loss to Baylor last week and in helping with the round of 8.

Can't say enough about the fact that this was truly a team effort and a team win.

McCallie IS the State Champion and that can never be taken away!

Gee I love this sport

Well put!! Can't agree more. Congrats to Tyler Ward who just stated this great sport a couple of years ago and wrestled 145 when he could easily wrestle at 135 or 140. :thumb: