late season burnout

senator

As I see teams with major letdowns after christmas tourneys I wonder if AAU,

christmas tourneys and longer seasons have a impact on team play.I rem. when

teams played 16-20 games before post season and now it's 25-30 plus long holiday trips.Just in 7A i've seen meltdowns so it seems in RBS @ JC,JC @ CLARKRANGE AND CLARKRANGE @ RBS.Then there's AAU added on .Just wondering.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the season is entirely too long. No matter how good of shape a player or team is in, the number of games and length of the season is too much. Especially, for the freshman. They come from middle schools that play 15 to 20 games at the most and then at the high school level they have already played 20 or more games at this point and 30 games before they get into the tournament. That is why some of the freshman don't play their best ball at this time of the year vs earlier in the season.

IMO, the season is entirely too long. No matter how good of shape a player or team is in, the number of games and length of the season is too much. Especially, for the freshman. They come from middle schools that play 15 to 20 games at the most and then at the high school level they have already played 20 or more games at this point and 30 games before they get into the tournament. That is why some of the freshman don't play their best ball at this time of the year vs earlier in the season.

Bull! Kids can be dead tired and emotionally drained to the max. Then, thirty minutes later their batteries are charged and their motors are running again. They are ready for some one on one or pop some threes. Don't you remember being young!

I don't think it is the physical aspect as much as the mental aspect that gets kids burned out. Coaches have to be careful with this and shorten practices some as the season progresses and give some days off now then to keep the players fresh. Basketball is a long season so you better keep some fresh legs and minds going into the tournaments or you can have a good team making an early exit from post-season play.

I think the season length in high school is just fine. If the kids want a break, then don't play AAU. We went practically year round for my last two years of high school and that really didn't bother me at all. As long as the coach is laid back and doesn't kill his/her team mentally, they will be fine.

I also really can't see fatigue being a factor because @ summer camps before my junior year I was playing 25-30 minutes a game, 6 games a day, 4 days a week and still had energy to beat my teammates on the PS2 far into the night. And we had practice 1 or 2 days a week on top of that. There's no way there are too many games.

Good point Senator.It's now become almost a year round sport. The best coaches know when to back off just a little and get the right momentum going into tourneys cause it can be a exhausting time.

Good Point, but good coaches also know that it is ok to let younger players get on the floor when they have a 50 or 60 point lead at the end of the first half instead of risking getting their first team injured or peaking them too early. Rest some of your kids, Mr. Morris.