State Duals Location?

cbg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spring Fling was born and raised to adulthood in Chattanooga. It became a hugely important tourist event. We assumed we "owned" it. Several other communities wanted an opportunity to host it. The TSSAA instituted a bidding process for the event. Chattanooga made a good run at it but Memphis made a better run. We weren't thilled to lose it but the better offer won. Chattanooga doesn't own the traditional state no more than C'vile owns the duals. Put them both out for bid. Communities that want the events and are willing to sacrifice to get them will win. Wrestling is quintessential competitive sport. Let's get a little competition going to determine who will host the best tournament.

Hey, Bear, You may not consider 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishes worthy of "hardware but we do. :thumb:

It all adds up and did for you last year, in my opinion.

Sommers - Your right. I don't consider anything beyond 1st in the duals. Further, I can't understand why your all caught up in this comparison thing. You are comparing the results of two regions to the rest of the state....Not a fair comparison.

Sommers - Your right. I don't consider anything beyond 1st in the duals. Further, I can't understand why your all caught up in this comparison thing. You are comparing the results of two regions to the rest of the state....Not a fair comparison.

BayouBear.....So....you'd like Sommers to start being logical......now?

BayouBear.....So....you'd like Sommers to start being logical......now?

Okay am I missing something here? Logic? RMC's not commenting on the equity of a split, but will comment on venues. Well, again, numbers is what this is all about. Find a center point for the majority. I made the comparison of all the hardware (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) brought home to various parts of the state. Perhaps there is some figures our old friend G. P. already has on this; but to me, it's obvious that much more gas is spent by more numbers going to and bringing home hardware by having a state event in Memphis, Tri-cities or Chattanooga over DT Nashville, MTSU, Belmont, David Lipscomb, Travecca, etc.

Am I wrong?

As for me, personally, I love it in Chattanooga, but I'm not sure pure logic is used when making Chattanooga a permanent sight.

Okay am I missing something here? Logic? RMC's not commenting on the equity of a split, but will comment on venues. Well, again, numbers is what this is all about. Find a center point for the majority. I made the comparison of all the hardware (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) brought home to various parts of the state. Perhaps there is some figures our old friend G. P. already has on this; but to me, it's obvious that much more gas is spent by more numbers going to and bringing home hardware by having a state event in Memphis, Tri-cities or Chattanooga over DT Nashville, MTSU, Belmont, David Lipscomb, Travecca, etc.

Am I wrong?

As for me, personally, I love it in Chattanooga, but I'm not sure pure logic is used when making Chattanooga a permanent sight.

Sure it's. Chattanooga historically has outdrawn any other venue. Memphis and K'ville would be dry holes for years if the tournaments were ever located there. There's little support in those communities outside the schools they send.

I doubt if the board of control wants to test the waters in those communities. The TSSAA should send out RFP's to interested communities and see what's offered. I seriously doubt if K'ville and Memphis would even submit proposals. N'ville, M'boro and Chatt have active sports and events committees or chambers that aggressively seek out smaller sporting events like wrestling. Chatt had to pony up more money and promise to improve some facilities to keep girls' soccer this spring. If the duals were in play, I guarantee that C'ville will come up with a larger facility even if AP has to play a basketball game at CHS.

Sure it's. Chattanooga historically has outdrawn any other venue.

I certainly challenge your assumption on the historical draw. Back when the Traditional tournament was alternating between Nashville and Chattanooga, there was little or no detectable difference in the draw. At the time the tournament left the packed house at David Lipscomb in Nashville and settled at Mac, Chattanooga did not outdraw "any other venue". Since the tournament has been at Mac or the Roundhouse ever since, there is no way to compare from that point to the present. As early as the 1978 State, which was held in Nashville, the director of the TSSAA at the time told the host administrator that the tournament had given the TSSAA its best take to date. Also the numbers of participants have increased multiple times since Chattanooga became an annual pilgramage for the rest of wrestling. So, of course, attendance has grown.

What is it about this "superlative" myth that is so important to some folks that it has to be perpetuated

ad nauseam?

Edited by delaWarr

Okay am I missing something here? Logic? RMC's not commenting on the equity of a split, but will comment on venues.

RMC, If we want to come see you one of these days, should we "logically" begin planning on going to the GA state championships in Valadosta, Brunswick or Augusta in th future? Maybe Columbus would be a nice venue?

Eventhough the best wrestling and concentration of fan support comes comes out NYC, they hold hteir state tournament in Syracuse NY (smack dab in the middle of the state) I wonder why? Could "logic" have anything to do with this? MTSU is the geographic center of the state of Tennessee BTW.

RMC, If we want to come see you one of these days, should we "logically" begin planning on going to the GA state championships in Valadosta, Brunswick or Augusta in th future? Maybe Columbus would be a nice venue?

Eventhough the best wrestling and concentration of fan support comes comes out NYC, they hold hteir state tournament in Syracuse NY (smack dab in the middle of the state) I wonder why? Could "logic" have anything to do with this? MTSU is the geographic center of the state of Tennessee BTW.

You mean there are other cities in Georgia? :D

Sommers the traditional state will be held at the Gwinnett arena this year and next. After that I have no idea where it will be.

For the state duals tournament I have no idea where it will be next year. This year it was held in Macon at the Macon Centraplex. That venue has worked well since it's centrally located and very cheap to rent.

We know we're lucky to have the traditional event in Gwinnett for 2 years, but after that it could go anywhere.

I just hope that all 5 tournaments under one roof works well enough to keep them together in the future.

We have been told that this will be the nation's largest state tournament ever held. I don't know if that's true or not, but I think it works out to 2,854 bouts.