State Duals Location?

cbg

I generally ignore you but...what does location of the tournament have to do with growth?

I generally ignore you but... Mr. BB what a nice way to start a conversation. From the things folks have told me about you, you're not a jerk in person but you play one on CoachT. <_< Notice I don't waste my time on your bias topics!

We have the same loyal fans traveling to Clarksville and Chattanooga every year to watch the Championships. No one from Memphis, Nashville or the Tri Cities goes to these Championships unless the have a child competing.

If it was held in different locations every few years’ new faces would have the opportunity to go and watch our great sport. The loyal fans that travel to the Queen City and Choo-Choo town every year would still travel to the host city to watch.

Also, some other wrestling programs besides CHS and a few select Chattanooga programs would have a chance to raise some funds for their programs.

Locations:

Nashville area- Municipal Auditorium: David Lipscomb University:

Belmont University: This may be the best location and the facilities are great. The Ice hockey arena , MTSU etc.

****Middle Tn has the fastest growing counties in TN. Why not give teams in Middle TN a chance to show the top events in our sport.

Memphis- the Pyramid, etc

Tri-cities DB has one of the largest gyms in the State. It's a mini round house.

I saying spread the Championships to different venues, increase the knowledge and visibility of HS wrestling and giving other programs an opportunity to raise money for their teams.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is everyone in Chattanooga as arrogant and ignorant as the group in this thread? Maybe they are all related. I do agree that it could be in a larger more accommodating location. Austin Peay I think would love to have it and I bet the other schools in the area would like to help run it. That is just my opinion. I simply like seeing the kids get wrestling time and to compete at a high-ranking tourney makes it all the more wonderful.

Didn't U know they invented wrestling! :thumb: It is a great city for wrestling but share the wealth. If I lived there I wouldn't want it to be moved but that will not help the sport grow. <_<

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

I hope they use a different site next year. The State Duals has definitely outgrown Clarksville High School's gym. I'm not saying it needs to come to Chattanooga but I wish they would find a more accomodating arena.

I totally agree. It will take someone from TSSAA to make a move but we certainly can voice opinions.

It would be nice if some of the Chattanooga bell ringing clods could stick to topic. If you want to promote the city join the chamber of comerce but give it a break here.

I don't care what part of the state the duals are held in as long as there is plenty of seating and I can get a good view of all the mats. Clarksville is lousy on the second day. It should be obvious even to an idiot ( hello TSSAA ) this event has long ago outgrown the venue. There are probably at least a dozen places in Tennessee that have the physical space to accomadate the duals, if any one of these were chosen I do believe more fans would be drawn in. Watching an elderly fan or someone using a cane try and navigate the Clarksville zoo in a hopeless attempt to find a seat is a really sad sight. Every year the duals are held in Clarksville it becomes more obvious TSSAA has a disregard for wrestling fans that borders on contempt. All the little homilies about what a nice job the folks from Clarksville do in hosting the event don't change the facts. THE BUILDING IS TOO darn SMALL !!

Find a different site. Add a few more teams ( A, AA ought to be expanded to 8 teams ) and lets grow Tennessee wrestling.

I think that on the second day the Clarksville gym was definitely overloaded. Not only dangerous for the elderly fans, but for everyone. However, I would hate to see it moved to Memphis just because of the driving distance. I also don't believe that the Austin Peay venue would be available.(Other people tell me that there is some sport that they call basketball going on at the same time as wrestling. Imagine that!)

Let me get my tongue out of my cheek. Clarksville has done a great job growing and supporting the tournament but it has outgrown (maybe 5 years ago) the current facility. Move it somewhere that will safely accomodate wrestling fans and allow better visibility of all matches. Put is out for bid the way the TSSAA did with the Spring Fling. I've got a good idea who will provide the best package for the fans and TSSAA.

Clarksville is agreat venue because it is almost a nuetral site and has a really cool downtown. Besides, its fun to travel (makes it special for the boys and isn't that what this is all about....hello).

Knoxville would be great but is too far for Memphis. Same thing for the Tri-cities.

Chattanooga already ownes the individual state and all those state champions would miss running around in the hotel rooms. Besides, Bear Cat and Harry wouldn't be able to put on their dancing shoes in their home town!

Keep it in Clarksville but move it to a bigger venue. There is a huge new high school on the other side of town down 101st Airborne Ave. (I know, I got lost looking for Clarksville High for 45 minutes and discovered this other school).

Bottom line, if they keep it at Clarksville High, simply get to the finals and then you have plenty of room!

PS. Way to go Bradley for bringing your cheerleaders, they were the turning point for your come from behind win! What's up ND, McCallie, Baylor, etc., etc., etc.

Well i guess i ll throw my two cents in on this since everyone else is. Me personally i would love to see it some where else for a change. Artie manning does a wonderful job putting it together, with that said i think it would be more fun to visit other parts of the state and to have a change of venue. i have been to the state duals every year since the early 90's and even won a couple at clarksville. its always nice to wrestle in a different environment. i feel the best way to do it is have 3 spots picked out. one from east tenn, one from middle, one from west, and rotate it every year. I dont think it should be held at a high school gym either maybe a local college or convention center. just a thought.

Al Morris

Coffee County Wrestling

In another post CHSCOACH mentioned that they have spoke with APSU and they want nothing to do with it. Looks like they have tried that one.

Allsaints - I believe the school you are referring to is Kenwood and the gym there is actually smaller than the gym at CHS especially seating wise.