Tough draws at State Tournament

BayouBear

Does anyone know how the TSSAA will set up the brackets?

In the past, a Region Champion could only wrestle a Region Champion in the quarters which meant the loser would be "carried" into the consolations. This year, with 10 Region Champions, there will be two matches in the second round at each weight where a Region Champion will wrestle a Region Champion. The winner will advance to the Quarters and if he loses the Region Champion will not be carried.

When the TSSAA changes to 10 regions this should have been considered. If is was considered, the TSSAA would have surely seen the unfairness of the "carry bracket" to certain kids and changed to a full wrestleback bracket. Therefore, one of two things happened. Either the TSSAA didn't consider the problem OR it did and didn't care. Either way, it's a shame.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past, a Region Champion could only wrestle a Region Champion in the quarters which meant the loser would be "carried" into the consolations. This year, with 10 Region Champions, there will be two matches in the second round at each weight where a Region Champion will wrestle a Region Champion. The winner will advance to the Quarters and if he loses the Region Champion will not be carried.

When the TSSAA changes to 10 regions this should have been considered. If is was considered, the TSSAA would have surely seen the unfairness of the "carry bracket" to certain kids and changed to a full wrestleback bracket. Therefore, one of two things happened. Either the TSSAA didn't consider the problem OR it did and didn't care. Either way, it's a shame.

BB,

I'm not a bracket scientist and I don't have any desire to figure out the numbers myself, but I'm pretty sure either you or Jose have already figured the numbers for me. How many additional matches are we talking about if we have a 32 man bracket with full double elimination versus the existing "carry bracket" method? And to add to your Sunday afternoon mathmatics lesson, how many more matches for an expanded 40 man bracket?

I know other states like GA have double elimination but I'm pretty sure they only have 16 man brackets.

thanks in advance.

xbody

1st of all I am a firm believer in the double elimation method! 32-man bracket double elimation sounds great to me....but as with the comment about a possible region champ wrestling another region champ in the round of sixteen....I see nothing wrong with this. At the begining of every tournament each wrestler has their own destiny in their hands. If the win they advance in the bracket if not they do not. The wrestler who wins should move forward. The 10 Region setup has allowed for more of an even playing feild in the individual region tournaments. In my opinion it was a great move. Now its just up to us to see that we keeping moving forward in TennWrestling by constituting a double- elimation state ran tournament.

BB,

I'm not a bracket scientist and I don't have any desire to figure out the numbers myself, but I'm pretty sure either you or Jose have already figured the numbers for me. How many additional matches are we talking about if we have a 32 man bracket with full double elimination versus the existing "carry bracket" method? And to add to your Sunday afternoon mathmatics lesson, how many more matches for an expanded 40 man bracket?

I know other states like GA have double elimination but I'm pretty sure they only have 16 man brackets.

thanks in advance.

xbody

Indiana has a 16 man bracket, they have 3 rounds of qualifiers before the State. They start with sectionals and the top 4 qualify to a Regional the top 3 qualify to one of 4 semistates and the top four from the semistates qualify for the state. They wrestle the round of 16 on Friday night. The losers Friday night are eliminated and the final 8 wrestleback to 3rd on Saturday. They place 8.

BB,

thanks in advance.

xbody

Georgia has two 32 man brackets, 2 16 man brackets, and an 8 man bracket. It's double elimination and wrestle back to 3rd. We ran it in the same time Tennessee does.....started on Thursday and ended on Saturday.

Edited by RMC

Is there another sport that is any more messed up right now in how post season competition is structured.

It was tough seeing some of these kids lose an opportunity to advance knowing

they worked harder and were better than some that are advancing in other regions.

There has to be a better option than a random 4th place. At least let the kids

resolve it on the mat.

The realignment has eliminated at least 12 very good wrestlers that would have

normally gone to state if not more......it's also allowing more weaker wrestlers

to go that would have never made through the consolation rounds.

They may want to adjust the schedules, there will be a lot of short matches.

BB,

thanks in advance.

xbody

Division I

32 man FTL bracket - 644 matches

40 man FTL bracket - 756 matches

32 man WB bracket - 868 matches

40 man WB bracket - 1092 matches

Division II

16 man WB bracket - 420 matches

8 man WB bracket - 196 matches

If the DII tournament was an 8 man bracket like most people think it should be, that would "save" 224 matches. Add those 224 matches to the current DI 644 matches and that would total to 868 which would be the number in a 32 man Double Elim. bracket. To get to 1092 matches needed for a 40 man double elim bracket, all we would need to do is start a little earlier on Thursday and wrestle on all mats on Saturday morning.

Guys....we had 32 man brackets with wrestle backs to 3rd, started at 9:00 on Thursday and started the finals at 5:00 on Saturday. I think you guys could do it.

We did run on 12 mats and I have no idea what you have available.

We started 4A and 5A on Thursday using 6 mats for each and started 1A, 2A, 3A on Friday morning using 4 mats for each. The quarters and semis were on Friday for all classes.

Guys....we had 32 man brackets with wrestle backs to 3rd, started at 9:00 on Thursday and started the finals at 5:00 on Saturday. I think you guys could do it.

We did run on 12 mats and I have no idea what you have available.

We started 4A and 5A on Thursday using 6 mats for each and started 1A, 2A, 3A on Friday morning using 4 mats for each. The quarters and semis were on Friday for all classes.

Yes, but how do you feel now? Jet lag feeling?