Lebanon Basketball

LHS_Blue_Devils

"Why has someone else not come out and said they know the task and would like to have the job. What does that say about the job?"

I don't think it says anything about the job. Most of the time when jobs open those applying do not go and speak to the local press about it. I would think that anyone that is applying for the job knows what the current situation is and is willing to take it on. I know all kinds of coaches that have sought head coaching jobs and gotten them without ever having gone public about it during the process. Just ask yourself this question: How many times have I seen someone that is trying to get a high school coaching position go out and elaborate on it in a newspaper? Did Bud Brandon or Chris Fryer do that to get their positions? Did any of the head coaches in Murfreesboro have articles in the Daily News Journal when they were pursuing their current positions? It is just not the normal procedure to openly campaign for a job in the newspaper, but it may work for Coach Rickman. If it does more power to him, but my belief is that it damaged his chances of getting the job.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why has someone else not come out and said they know the task and would like to have the job. What does that say about the job?"

I don't think it says anything about the job. Most of the time when jobs open those applying do not go and speak to the local press about it. I would think that anyone that is applying for the job knows what the current situation is and is willing to take it on. I know all kinds of coaches that have sought head coaching jobs and gotten them without ever having gone public about it during the process. Just ask yourself this question: How many times have I seen someone that is trying to get a high school coaching position go out and elaborate on it in a newspaper? Did Bud Brandon or Chris Fryer do that to get their positions? Did any of the head coaches in Murfreesboro have articles in the Daily News Journal when they were pursuing their current positions? It is just not the normal procedure to openly campaign for a job in the newspaper, but it may work for Coach Rickman. If it does more power to him, but my belief is that it damaged his chances of getting the job.

the barber shop talk this morning said that thompson was in lebanon last week and he did talk to someone in the system about the girls job.seems like a good choice.he has the experience and the people skills to make it work.plus as was stated he has a well respected family and is a LHS grad. Question would be could he get past the inuendos stated on this board provided they are true or not.

the barber shop talk this morning said that thompson was in lebanon last week and he did talk to someone in the system about the girls job.seems like a good choice.he has the experience and the people skills to make it work.plus as was stated he has a well respected family and is a LHS grad. Question would be could he get past the inuendos stated on this board provided they are true or not.

No innuendo about teaching under a false certificate or that he has bounced around from one school to the next for years and not always left by his own choice. I know positively that he was not asked to return to Cheatham County after serving there as an assistant coach some years back. He is a great talker and would be a very effective used cars salesman, but I don't believe you will ever see him coaching basketball in Wilson County. He may have changed over the years, but his past must be taken into consideration.

Does anyone know if Butch Agee has applied for the job?

He was in Lebanon for 3 days last week......then the last part of the week he went to the KY state tournament at Rupp Arena. Don't think he talked to anyone.

DM, I agree. I don't think the publicity stunt will work out quiet the way Rickman intended and if it does, then good for him, but I just don't think that was a wise move. In my opinion, it probably hurt him at Central, too. I doubt it was well received by Troy Bond and company, again, my opinion. You just don't parade around and annouce that you are applying for a coaching job anymore than you would any other job. If he were coming in from another school system, it may be a little different, but since he is already working the county, it just isn't the thing to do. There are ways of handling that situation and going public is not one of them. You do have to give him credit for being determined though.

TN Sarcasm...Pokey Chapman was in town last night, too....think she might apply? :lol: Thompson has family in Lebanon...he visited, big deal. If he is as successful in MS, KY, Canada, Europe, or where ever he is, why do you think he would be interested in taking a rebuilding position at Lebanon?

DM, I agree. I don't think the publicity stunt will work out quiet the way Rickman intended and if it does, then good for him, but I just don't think that was a wise move. In my opinion, it probably hurt him at Central, too. I doubt it was well received by Troy Bond and company, again, my opinion. You just don't parade around and annouce that you are applying for a coaching job anymore than you would any other job. If he were coming in from another school system, it may be a little different, but since he is already working the county, it just isn't the thing to do. There are ways of handling that situation and going public is not one of them. You do have to give him credit for being determined though.

TN Sarcasm...Pokey Chapman was in town last night, too....think she might apply? :lol: Thompson has family in Lebanon...he visited, big deal. If he is as successful in MS, KY, Canada, Europe, or where ever he is, why do you think he would be interested in taking a rebuilding position at Lebanon?

i was just stating what i had heard. i'm still like everyone else trying to get the shortlist for this job.

8AAAlum i disagree with Coach Bond or anyone else on the staff having the right to be upset with rickman because of the article. I mean it would be one thing if he was going for another assistant job at a school within the county, but he isnt. He isnt even applying for a job in boys basketball. In Coaching the goal for everyone is to one day become a head coach. I think that is realized by the majority of coaches and that they should support their assistants in any job they go after even if it is in county.

8AAAlum i disagree with Coach Bond or anyone else on the staff having the right to be upset with rickman because of the article. I mean it would be one thing if he was going for another assistant job at a school within the county, but he isnt. He isnt even applying for a job in boys basketball. In Coaching the goal for everyone is to one day become a head coach. I think that is realized by the majority of coaches and that they should support their assistants in any job they go after even if it is in county.

MM, I agree with you and this sounds like a battle between asst. coaches and that shouldn't go public. That has nothing to do with the LHS job and if more want it, apply.

I don't think at all that they would be upset with him for applying for the head coaching job. I think they would be happy for him to apply for a head job or even an assistant job for that matter.

However, I would guess that some of the statments he made comparing WC and Lebanon were not well received at WC. You just don't do that, but he is from Memphis and he may not know what is and is not acceptable in Wilson Co.

I am not anti-Rickman, but I just don't think he went about this job in the right manner.

No innuendo about teaching under a false certificate or that he has bounced around from one school to the next for years and not always left by his own choice. I know positively that he was not asked to return to Cheatham County after serving there as an assistant coach some years back. He is a great talker and would be a very effective used cars salesman, but I don't believe you will ever see him coaching basketball in Wilson County. He may have changed over the years, but his past must be taken into consideration.

Does anyone know if Butch Agee has applied for the job?

would you say his problem years ago at cheatham was the fact that the then head coach was jealous of him because of his rapport with the players and parents while he had no such skills.and the fact the he did not even hire thompson. the AD and principal did. and that thompson took a job and left on his own. and 2 years later they canned the head coach there and offered it to thompson but he turned it down? then they hired the guy who is at clarksville now and canned him. and offered the job again? check your facts. once again how do you "fake" a teaching certificate? quit hitting the pipe sir.

would you say his problem years ago at cheatham was the fact that the then head coach was jealous of him because of his rapport with the players and parents while he had no such skills.and the fact the he did not even hire thompson. the AD and principal did. and that thompson took a job and left on his own. and 2 years later they canned the head coach there and offered it to thompson but he turned it down? then they hired the guy who is at clarksville now and canned him. and offered the job again? check your facts. once again how do you "fake" a teaching certificate? quit hitting the pipe sir.

This is absolutely incorrect. The coach that was at Cheatham County at the time was Tim Ray,who is now the AD and an assistant principal at Sycamore, and I can assure you that Coach Ray was in no way jealous of Coach Thompson or threatened by his presence. Coach Ray was not "canned" at Cheatham County, he got out on his own. He was replaced by Al Cooper who is now at Clarksville Northeast not Clarksville. Ted Young, former Vandy player and Clarksville graduate, is at Clarksville High School. I believe you are at least correct about Cooper being let go at Cheatham County. I highly doubt that Coach Thompson was ever offered the head job at Cheatham County based on my knowledge of the situation there. I know he showed up at Coffee County not long after that as an assistant, but I believe he was gone after a year there as well.

It was a real teaching certificate that he used, but it was not issued to the Steve Thompson being discussed on this thread, but someone else of the same name. How he got access to this I don't know, but that is the story as I know it.

I would prefer to leave Mr. Thompson out of this if, as a couple of posters of said, he is not interested in the LHS girls basketball position. The thread is not about Mr. Thompson and it would be better to get the focus off of him and back onto legitimate candidates for the Devilette basketball coaching position.

modincus if you want meet with either Dr. Duncan or Mr. Kernagis and make a complaint against me as a teacher I will give you their phone numbers and I will be happy to meet with them at any time.Since I don't hide who I am you know where I teach. Dr. Duncan can be reached at 444-3282 or Mr. K at 453-4600. All talk or man of action?