Rules Question

nebfan

I have a rules question. Team A has the ball under their own goal and throws it in. The girl loses it and a jump ball occurs. Team A has the possession arrow and get the ball out of bounds again. They then can't get the ball in bounds, so a five second infraction occurs. Team B gets the ball. They go down the court and another jump ball occurs. I had a referee tell me that team A gets the ball again because the possession arrow doesn't change because the five second infraction occurred after the first jump ball, so they get it again. Please tell me we had a referee that didn't know what he was talking about. If he is right, that is the stupidest rule I have ever heard of.

I have a rules question. Team A has the ball under their own goal and throws it in. The girl loses it and a jump ball occurs. Team A has the possession arrow and get the ball out of bounds again. They then can't get the ball in bounds, so a five second infraction occurs. Team B gets the ball. They go down the court and another jump ball occurs. I had a referee tell me that team A gets the ball again because the possession arrow doesn't change because the five second infraction occurred after the first jump ball, so they get it again. Please tell me we had a referee that didn't know what he was talking about. If he is right, that is the stupidest rule I have ever heard of.

Wrong. Not surprising given the quality of a lot of these officials. Once team B went down court with the ball, you would go back to the possession arrow. I saw three seconds called in a game last week where 3 shots were taken that hit the rim and the ref called three seconds as they were fighting for rebounds. The supervisor was sitting near us an just shook his head after those around him started yelling. Go figure.

That is good stuff.....I am not positive about this answer, but....

The possession arrow technically doesnt change until the ball comes in bounds, so in that case I think the ref would be right.

But I agree with you.... that is a stupid rule that should be changed. That is an extremely unique situation.

Official scorers are usually instructed to change the possession arrow after the ball is inbounded. This did not occur obviously so the arrow would not have changed. I'm assuming that in the interpretation of the officials the possession would have been with Team A. I could not find this rule stated specifically but as a coach I believe they have it wrong and the other team should have had the ball.

Guest hustle101

That is good stuff.....I am not positive about this answer, but....

The possession arrow technically doesnt change until the ball comes in bounds, so in that case I think the ref would be right.

But I agree with you.... that is a stupid rule that should be changed. That is an extremely unique situation.

exactly, the arrow doesnt change untill the ball is in bounds and the clock has started. watch the score desk and they will not change the arrow until the ball is in bounds. it is stupid though

Wrong. Not surprising given the quality of a lot of these officials. Once team B went down court with the ball, you would go back to the possession arrow. I saw three seconds called in a game last week where 3 shots were taken that hit the rim and the ref called three seconds as they were fighting for rebounds. The supervisor was sitting near us an just shook his head after those around him started yelling. Go figure.

This guy is right..... When the ball came in bounds the arrow should have changed....

The referee is correct. If Team A violates during an alternating possession throw-in, they do not lose the arrow. The next alternating possession situation, A will have the arrow.

Once again, this is a great argument for having a jump ball for each tie-up and giving the team that won the opening tip the ball in the fourth quarter, and the other team gets the ball to start the second and third quarters (basically, the NBA rule).

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

After a held ball situation, Team A has the arrow. A1 is given the ball out of bounds and A1 violates because of a 5 second count. By rule, Team A loses the ball AND the possession arrow. It is now set to B for the next alternating possession.

Any violation by team A during a alternating possession throw in is the only way a team loses it's turn under the proceedure. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or when the throw-in team violates.

Rule 6-4-5 states: "The opportunity to make an alternating-possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. If either team fouls during an alternating-possession throw-in, it does not cause the throw-in team to lose the possession arrow.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

After a held ball situation, Team A has the arrow. A1 is given the ball out of bounds and A1 violates because of a 5 second count. By rule, Team A loses the ball AND the possession arrow. It is now set to B for the next alternating possession.

Any violation by team A during a alternating possession throw in is the only way a team loses it's turn under the proceedure. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or when the throw-in team violates.

Rule 6-4-5 states: "The opportunity to make an alternating-possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. If either team fouls during an alternating-possession throw-in, it does not cause the throw-in team to lose the possession arrow.

Enough said. Great thread.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

How does this rule explain the direction of the possession arrow? It simply states that Team A loses its opportunity to attempt a "throw-in." Surely there is a rule more clear than this.

Edited by uknowme

How does this rule explain the direction of the possession arrow? It simply states that Team A loses its opportunity to attempt a "throw-in." Surely there is a rule more clear than this.

Rule 6 article 4 states " the direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediatley after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or when the throw-in team violates."

Now the next question is when does a throw-in end.

Rule 4 Section 42 Article 5 The throw-in ends when the passed ball touches, or is touched by, an inbounds player other that the thrower.

Hope that helps.