What does it take to take Down a Mighty Bear?

MasterBlaster 1

Great coaching job by SD but Now the "rest of the story" without a pack of Irish, Commandos, Mustangs, and Red Devils you would not have that title, so give those Champions some credit.

Besides the State duals what was the record between Bradley and SD this year?

Great Article:

It would have been easy after Friday night for Soddy-Daisy's Trojans to fold their tent after falling behind to rival Bradley Central in the Division I state wrestling tournament.

Not so fast.

In the hospitality room late Friday night, Soddy-Daisy coach Steve Henry was pretending to be a mathematician. He said there was still a plan that would lead the Trojans to the glory land.

On Saturday morning, in the same hospitality room, Henry met with his team.

"I picked up a card at the table and threw it down,'' Henry said. "I told them the cards were on the table.

"Then I told them what they had to do to win the tournament. I told them where we were points-wise and what they had to do.''

When the final horn sounded Saturday night after Ryan Fuller and Tyler Roberson had won individual titles, it was Soddy-Daisy with 187.5 points and Bradley with 170. The Trojans had finally won their state traditional title.

"We stunk it up today,'' said Henry, whose teams have won two duals titles. "This is the ultimate.''

Jeannie and wrestling guru Danny Gilbert each tried to tell Henry on Saturday morning that winning the state championship was not everything.

"I know that because I have a great wife and two great kids,'' Henry said. "But you have to have goals. That's what we teach these kids.

"I'm so proud of every kid on this team. Every one of them scored a point. It was an absolute team effort. They all earned the championship.''

"I've still got chill bumps,'' Fuller said after climbing down from the awards podium. "I'm pretty pleased because in the duals we let down our coaches, the fans and all of Soddy-Daisy. This is a great way to end the season.''

Said Roberson, "It was awesome to see coach Henry get his first plaque. This team is so tight. I love them all. And this is so great we got this championship before Ryan leaves.

"But next year, we'll try again. It will be tough losing Ryan, but we have a lot more who can step up. I think we could have even more champions next year.''

When Soddy-Daisy clinched the championship after a Bradley loss in the finals, Henry said it was tough to believe.

Did he shed a tear?

"I got choked up,'' he said. "I didn't turn the tears lose. Not yet, anyway.''

Final Team Scores:

1. Soddy-Daisy 187.5

2. Bradley Central 170

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

masterblasted, dry your womanish tears. you're an idiot and i would love the opportunity to tell you that to your face. only a coward would make a post like this. Hope to meet you soome time...coward!

Great coaching job by SD but Now the "rest of the story" without a pack of Irish, Commandos, Mustangs, and Red Devils you would not have that title.

Besides the State duals what was the record between Bradley and SD this year?

Great Article:

It would have been easy after Friday night for Soddy-Daisy's Trojans to fold their tent after falling behind to rival Bradley Central in the Division I state wrestling tournament.

Not so fast.

In the hospitality room late Friday night, Soddy-Daisy coach Steve Henry was pretending to be a mathematician. He said there was still a plan that would lead the Trojans to the glory land.

On Saturday morning, in the same hospitality room, Henry met with his team.

"I picked up a card at the table and threw it down,'' Henry said. "I told them the cards were on the table.

"Then I told them what they had to do to win the tournament. I told them where we were points-wise and what they had to do.''

When the final horn sounded Saturday night after Ryan Fuller and Tyler Roberson had won individual titles, it was Soddy-Daisy with 187.5 points and Bradley with 170. The Trojans had finally won their state traditional title.

"We stunk it up today,'' said Henry, whose teams have won two duals titles. "This is the ultimate.''

Jeannie and wrestling guru Danny Gilbert each tried to tell Henry on Saturday morning that winning the state championship was not everything.

"I know that because I have a great wife and two great kids,'' Henry said. "But you have to have goals. That's what we teach these kids.

"I'm so proud of every kid on this team. Every one of them scored a point. It was an absolute team effort. They all earned the championship.''

"I've still got chill bumps,'' Fuller said after climbing down from the awards podium. "I'm pretty pleased because in the duals we let down our coaches, the fans and all of Soddy-Daisy. This is a great way to end the season.''

Said Roberson, "It was awesome to see coach Henry get his first plaque. This team is so tight. I love them all. And this is so great we got this championship before Ryan leaves.

"But next year, we'll try again. It will be tough losing Ryan, but we have a lot more who can step up. I think we could have even more champions next year.''

When Soddy-Daisy clinched the championship after a Bradley loss in the finals, Henry said it was tough to believe.

Did he shed a tear?

"I got choked up,'' he said. "I didn't turn the tears lose. Not yet, anyway.''

Final Team Scores:

1. Soddy-Daisy 187.5

2. Bradley Central 170

All I was trying to say, is it took more than just the SD team to take down Bradley.

Did SD not loose to Bradley in the Duals.

Enough said.

Both programs are the top 2 in D-I. I just wanted to point out if the pack didn't come thru no championship for SD.

Coward?

Never had that word throw at me but it's a word not a fact.

I'm sure I've had my metal tested more times than you have called someone a Coward.

Great Season for both teams.

Again not saying anything negative about either program, just giving some other programs some credit.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

All I was trying to say, is it took more than just the SD team to take down Bradley.

Enough said.

Both programs are the top 2 in D-I. I just wanted to point out if the pack didn't come thru no championship for SD.

Thanks for pointing out the hidden strategy of the weekend, Blaster. It sure got by me. All the other wrestlers in the tournament were teaming up to take out Bradley guys while lying down to get Soddy wrestlers through the brackets. Poor Bradley. Maybe you should talk to Ronnie Carter about this.

Soddy had more wrestlers able to push deeper into the field than Bradley did. Deeper team, more points, period.

Enough said.

Kudos to both teams for great seasons.

Edited by BigRedBlooded

Enough said.

Coward?

Never had that word throw at me but it's a word not a fact.

I'm sure I've had my metal tested more times than you have called someone a Coward.

Great Season for both teams.

Again not saying anything negative about either program, just giving some other programs some credit.

There is absolutely no point to your message Blaster. The dual and traditional tournaments are independent events with completely different objectives and strategies. Bradley won one, Soddy won the other. You may not mean anything negative towards Soddy, but your words suggest differently. Any great dual team is going to have its tallent diluted in a broad traditional tournament. Soddy's tallent was diluted just as every other team, and they came out on top.

Congratulations Soddy.

There is absolutely no point to your message Blaster. The dual and traditional tournaments are independent events with completely different objectives and strategies. Bradley won one, Soddy won the other. You may not mean anything negative towards Soddy, but your words suggest differently. Any great dual team is going to have its tallent diluted in a broad traditional tournament. Soddy's tallent was diluted just as every other team, and they came out on top.

Congratulations Soddy.

OK, If Bradley's finalist win all their matches than they are the traditional champs, Correct.

I thought it was an great article about a great program but after reading it my mind set was that Bradley has been the Might Bear that folks have been wanting to seen beat for a long time. If the other teams top kids didn't come thru in the finals the Bears win. That's all!

Not taking anything away from SD but reminding folks other kids from other programs had to come thru to make that happen.

Bradley C and SD have great programs and great kids. I was one of the ones cheering for the SD kids knowing that they had the only shot to take down the Mighty Bears.

If those two teams meet 10 times in a season it would probably go 50/50 with the tie breaker going to Bradley.

Blaster, I have had many parents, wrestlers, and coached from Farragut apologise to me for your actions on this board. you really embarase your school when you get on here and say things like you say about soddy winning the state and lettner stalling etc. If you want to talk about dual meets between soddy and bradley, they were both 1 and 1 with each other, both coming down to the end. Bradley just won when it counted the most. Soddy Daisy did a great job this weekend, and every kid on the team fought their hearts out. Its not like everything went our way either. Mikey Fuller got a bad draw and didnt place. Wes Brett has a bad tournament. winesburgh and toney shoulda been state finalist if they would have been put on the other side of the brackets, but thats part of being in a state tournament. Bradley has a great team and are a very classy bunch of people, and im glad that there are two tuff teams that can make the state an exciting team race along with great individual match ups. Now if you want to talk about our coaches during the lettner match. im prety sure we took 4 shots to reviez's 1 shot. we got zero stalling calls to reviez's 1. we did not cut him in third, we tried to crotch lift him. im not sure what match you are watching when say all we do is stall, but it wasnt the D1 215 match. i respect reviez, and he is a great wrestler and a great person, and i am not disrespecting him at all. He was the best 215 in the state this year, but i feel we wrestled him tuff. you just need to face the facts...soddy daisy are state champions this year no matter what excuse you put out there. we were the better team this weekend.

Blaster, I have had many parents, wrestlers, and coached from Farragut apologise to me for your actions on this board. you really embarase your school when you get on here and say things like you say about soddy winning the state and lettner stalling etc. If you want to talk about dual meets between soddy and bradley, they were both 1 and 1 with each other, both coming down to the end. Bradley just won when it counted the most. Soddy Daisy did a great job this weekend, and every kid on the team fought their hearts out. Its not like everything went our way either. Mikey Fuller got a bad draw and didnt place. Wes Brett has a bad tournament. winesburgh and toney shoulda been state finalist if they would have been put on the other side of the brackets, but thats part of being in a state tournament. Bradley has a great team and are a very classy bunch of people, and im glad that there are two tuff teams that can make the state an exciting team race along with great individual match ups. Now if you want to talk about our coaches during the lettner match. im prety sure we took 4 shots to reviez's 1 shot. we got zero stalling calls to reviez's 1. we did not cut him in third, we tried to crotch lift him. im not sure what match you are watching when say all we do is stall, but it wasnt the D1 215 match. i respect reviez, and he is a great wrestler and a great person, and i am not disrespecting him at all. He was the best 215 in the state this year, but i feel we wrestled him tuff. you just need to face the facts...soddy daisy are state champions this year no matter what excuse you put out there. we were the better team this weekend.

I wouldn't be so quick to say winesburgh or anyone else shoulda been state finalists if they had been in the other bracket. Speaking about Abrigo specifically he wrestled a great season and a great tournament, defeating top wrestlers through out the year and at state. Unless, winesburgh and he wrestled in the state tournament you wouldn't know the outcome. This statement is not only disrespectful to Abrigo but to everyone he wrestled on the way up.

OK, If Bradley's finalist win all their matches than they are the traditional champs, Correct.

Well, I'm a Collierville supporter. If we had won all our matches, we would have won too. There's no excuse, it's just finding out who can score the most points. Soddy did a great job with a better overall group of talent, just as Bradley did a great job at the duals of arranging their several high-caliber wrestlers to best suit a dual match. They are very even teams with different make-ups that allowed each to win a state championship. The season is over, let's congratulate instead of make excuses.