State Tournament

rcpatriot

What "realistic" changes need to be made to our current individual state tournament?

Just a few to start the "fire".

1. Seperate Small/Large schools.

2. Stop charging coaches $25 for a hospitality room pass. Goes up every year!

2a. Don't serve left overs that you had from the previous night, for lunch the next day.

3. Give 1 tourn. parking pass to each team. $5 each time in to park is ridiculous.

4. Find a better system for clearing the gym, when the weather is bad outside.

5. Send a packet of tourn. information to each school with qualifiers, letting them know items such as where they need to enter the building on Thurs. to weigh-in without having a tourn. pass. (for Seymour)

6. Seeding criteria is terrible.

7. Double elimination? Why not?

Sorry, I know I said a "few", but got carried away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rcpatriot, is that what happened with the seymour wrestlers they did not have their tournament passes? Did this happen to any other wrestlers or only the Seymour wrestlers?

There has to be a way to get the passes to the kids before weigh-ins begin. How did the other teams get in to weigh-in?

That is my understanding as to what happened. Rusty and Coach Mc are "new" to the process and didn't know to come around to the back of the arena to enter downstairs and to get their packets. I know that both have been around, but it has been a few years since either have been here for the 1st day of the event. The kids wouldn't have known either because none have been before. Messed up!

Just a few to start the "fire".

1. Seperate Small/Large schools.

2. Stop charging coaches $25 for a hospitality room pass. Goes up every year!

2a. Don't serve left overs that you had from the previous night, for lunch the next day.

3. Give 1 tourn. parking pass to each team. $5 each time in to park is ridiculous.

4. Find a better system for clearing the gym, when the weather is bad outside.

5. Send a packet of tourn. information to each school with qualifiers, letting them know items such as where they need to enter the building on Thurs. to weigh-in without having a tourn. pass. (for Seymour)

6. Seeding criteria is terrible.

7. Double elimination? Why not?

Seperating the schools would be a mistake. Granted, it is necessary to do so during a duals tourny, because a small school would have a difficult time filling their lineup for a dual match. Yet the traditionals is an individual tournament. A school does not need 2,000+ students to produce an individual state champion.

Granted a larger school has the advantage of having better wrestlers to drill with, but that is not a reason to seperate the tournament. Division II state champions lose credibility, because their individual tournament is not a large one. Yet these boys are great competitors.

It would be a shame to take away the credibilty that a hard working individual wrestler earned.

Lastly, Tennessee does not have a huge abundacy of wrestling programs. State championships is a "best of the best." It is not a tournament for the weak or mediocre. It is tough for kids who are not on the level of the Corey Mansons or Kelly Felixes, but that is why it is necessary to train harder. Don't make a smaller division, or it will equivilate to the "not good enough individual wrestlers" division.

RC great ideals agree with all espcially with the split of large and small. Television has been watching to much of it. Its funny alot of the people who do not what a split are the ones it would not effect. Bradley, soddy and teams such as these it could take a touch of focus off them, i dont know.

Split us down the middle the 65 or 70 largest up and the 65 or 70 smallest down. Do not tie us to 1a 2a or 3a largest up smallest down and realign every two or three years. It would make the sport grow. It would allow more success, and make us better nationally.

What happens if DII keeps losing teams. It was already weaker this year without ND and Knox Catholic.

I would love to see small school and large school but I know this is part of a much bigger issue with TSSAA.

$25 for three days worth of meals? Pretty good deal.

Parking seemed to be a problem for some.

MY Suggestions...................

Less Divisions not more....NO TEAM SCORE...NO TEAM SCORE....NO TEAM SCORE......... We have a Dual state Tournament last time I checked.........................This Tourney is for INDIVIDUALS......make the tourney a "Mano on Mano" affair and forget about the team stuff . See Indiana State Tournament for a model.....It IS a spectacle!

The one thing that needs to be looked into is getting enough passes for your coaches, managers and scorekeepers. We were given enough passes for our qualifiers and two passes for coaches. That leaves any other assistant coaches, managers and scorekeepers having to buy a pass so they can attend the tournament. All year long these team members do their jobs to help the wrestlers reach their goals of making it to the state tournament and then they're told they must buy a ticket to be there too. I think the TSSAA should ask for a team roster that included wrestlers, managers, scorekeepers and coaches and have a pass gate for them at the state tournament. Just my opinion.

I agree $25 for 3 days of meals isn't a bad deal, but, I don't expect to have to eat left overs from the day before either. Also, may be wrong, but wasn't the fee $15 last year?

Parking- major problem. When you come to weigh-ins at 8am, pay $5 to park, leave to get your kids breakfast, come back, pay $5 to park. Leave at 1pm for lunch, come back at 6pm for wrestling (another $5 to park). Absolutely Ridiculous!!

I believe I'm in agreement on the "no team score" thing at individual states. Although, I must admit, I was just as proud to see my team place 8th, as Steve H. was to see his group take 1st!

Still think we need a split with small & large. Of course, I'm a little bias due to my numbers.

Sly, as I was told last year when I complained about not letting team members in at state, put a cheerleading uniform on them and they'll get in free all they want! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

I think the ladies in the hospitality room did a great job and the price for 3 days is more than fair. By the way, the concession stand is always open too, maybe you can find a better deal there.

I agree $25 for 3 days of meals isn't a bad deal, but, I don't expect to have to eat left overs from the day before either. Also, may be wrong, but wasn't the fee $15 last year?

Parking- major problem. When you come to weigh-ins at 8am, pay $5 to park, leave to get your kids breakfast, come back, pay $5 to park. Leave at 1pm for lunch, come back at 6pm for wrestling (another $5 to park). Absolutely Ridiculous!!

I believe I'm in agreement on the "no team score" thing at individual states. Although, I must admit, I was just as proud to see my team place 8th, as Steve H. was to see his group take 1st!

Still think we need a split with small & large. Of course, I'm a little bias due to my numbers.

Sly, as I was told last year when I complained about not letting team members in at state, put a cheerleading uniform on them and they'll get in free all they want! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Easy there Tojam! Never said the ladies didn't do a fine job of preparing and being hospitable. But since you want to hit on my "buttons" as I've obviously hit on yours, what other tournaments require coaches to pay for the hospitality room? Don't get me wrong, I know why they charge a fee. I also know there are a lot of other programs that would love to have the opportunity to share in that kind of source of revenue. If it were "free" as is most hospitality rooms, those eating wouldn't have much to complain about, but agreeably, would find something.

And yes, you are correct that I could have bought my food at the concession stand throughout the tournament instead of purchasing a pass. If I had of known that I was paying for left overs, I wouldn't have bought the pass.

Bottom line: left overs- bad idea. $25 fee- unexpected increase from last year.

Back to wrestling!

One of the problems with the 10 region brackets was that region champs face each other in the second round. There were some possible medalists that were eliminated in the second round. What do you guys think about a small school state division with the current 47 A/AA teams /Each area has a tournament and sends four state qualifiers. Then the bracket is formulated like before with a 16 man bracket for each weight class. I think they should only place the top 4. The AAA division needs to go back to 8 regions and go back to the same format as before and still place 6 cause there will be 85 teams. Division II needs to do the same thing but only place top 4. Lets get behind this and make it happen. Ronnie Carter sounded interested.

P.S. congrats to Kingston and Coach Adams and Bell. 3 state medalists!!!

Hard work does pay off.