middle tennessee wrestling

Ringworm

middle tennessee wrestling is really catching up with our counterparts in the east and the west. Soddy and Bradley have always been good because of their feeder programs. Now we have one of the best feeders in the state. The sharpshooters in Murfreesboro run by Bill Kennedy is feeding all of our local high schools. Smyrna Lavergne Riverdale Oakland and Siegel. Rutherford county sent 35 wrestlers to the state tournament which is triple what we had last year. I'm not suggesting we're ready to compete with schools like bradley, soddy , houston , or any of the other dominant schools, but we're catching up. And the feeder programs are how you start.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is, Rutherford County sent 35 but only brought home 3 medals. I don't think that this really puts us at the level that the East TN Schools are at.

The feeder program you mention will definately help though.

Good luck to you on your quest for dominance.

arent you to old to be coaching anyways and overweight. YOU might have a stroke coaching. god forbid they dont have a paramedic on hand. Your just mad cuse ur team stinks.

middle tennessee wrestling is really catching up with our counterparts in the east and the west. Soddy and Bradley have always been good because of their feeder programs. Now we have one of the best feeders in the state. The sharpshooters in Murfreesboro run by Bill Kennedy is feeding all of our local high schools. Smyrna Lavergne Riverdale Oakland and Siegel. Rutherford county sent 35 wrestlers to the state tournament which is triple what we had last year. I'm not suggesting we're ready to compete with schools like bradley, soddy , houston , or any of the other dominant schools, but we're catching up. And the feeder programs are how you start.

Maybe this also has a lot to do with the change in region. Didn't all of these teams move out of the region that had the Williamson Co. schools (Franklin, Ravenwood, Brentwood) for this past season?

If I am correct that these schools moved out of that region, who are the new big competitors?

Also, ringworm, I hope you're joking in your reply. If you're not, don't you think that's a little over the top?

Edited by FromFieldtoPitch

How is Middle Tennessee catching up with the West and how far East are you talking here? Clarksville, M.B.A., Father Ryan (most championships behind Baylor), Overton (2 championships), Brentwood High, Franklin (2005 Champs), Kenwood, McGavock just to name a few have been more successful than almost all West schools and alot of others in Chattanooga (except for Bradley, Baylor, McCallie recently)and farther east thereof.

One of the best things to happen to Middle Tennessee wrestling is the Williamson Co. Wrestling club/Future Champions. This club has produce a ton of studs including Holliman, Felix, Bond Davis, and both Joel and Ryan Konz. Now with the Copperheads, NCW, Williamson Co. and the Sharpshooters are growing as fast as they are it will be great things for Middle Tennessee

arent you to old to be coaching anyways and overweight. YOU might have a stroke coaching. god forbid they dont have a paramedic on hand. Your just mad cuse ur team stinks.

Ringworm-----I don't know who "ur team" is but I think Gonyea's team had the highset finishing medalist of the 35 wrestlers Rutherford county sent to the state tournament-----------Spencer Sommers was 4th at 140 and lost a very close decision to Holliman ( 5-4) in the quaterfinals that would have sent shock waves through the tournament if Sommers had pulled off the win. The two kids from La Vergne finished 6th for the other two medals. So I'm not sure where you get off with comments like that about Gonyea and his team.

Edited by BuckLateral

The key to any good high school program is their feeder programs. How are they doing with their middle school teams and their club program for the younger kids. It takes a ton of work on the part of the coaches & parents to make everything come together and a team win a state championship.

In Middle Tennessee the Williamson County Club has produced some good wrestlers that resulted in Brentwood Middle being strong the last two seasons. If those wrestlers stay together look for Brentwood to compete for a title in the next few years.

The Nashville Catholic Club program seems to be generating some interest and numbers with the young kids. The Nashville Catholic middle school team has won their conference the last three seasons and those results should start to pay off in the near future. If Gorham and Simpson continue to coach the middle school team they will continue to be successful.

The key to any good high school program is their feeder programs. How are they doing with their middle school teams and their club program for the younger kids. It takes a ton of work on the part of the coaches & parents to make everything come together and a team win a state championship.

In Middle Tennessee the Williamson County Club has produced some good wrestlers that resulted in Brentwood Middle being strong the last two seasons. If those wrestlers stay together look for Brentwood to compete for a title in the next few years.

The Nashville Catholic Club program seems to be generating some interest and numbers with the young kids. The Nashville Catholic middle school team has won their conference the last three seasons and those results should start to pay off in the near future. If Gorham and Simpson continue to coach the middle school team they will continue to be successful.

CBQ, The Copperhead Wrestling Club has been feeding Brentwood Middle the past few years - not Williamson County Wrestling. WCW mostly fed Grassland though that pipeline has dried up a little over the past few years.

3 Copperheads and 3 Sharpshooters placed at the USA Wrestling Ultimate Challenge Event, The Indy National, this past weekend in Indianapolis IN. Didn't see any kids from East or West TN there. National level exposure will make Middle TN wrestling just keep on growing.

i may be wrong...please correct me if i am...but i thought i read in the daily news journal that rutherford county sent 21 to the states...whatever the number...it was the most ever...

and the new regions did help that...region 5 was not nearly as tough with out the williamson county teams being in the same region as rutherford county schools

also...rutherford county schools do have a long way to go before catching up with the elite of tenn. wrestling...but...the encouraging thing is that the structure is in place to POTENTIALLY (emphasis intended) have some very competitive teams in the next few years...

the sherrif sharp shooters and bill kennedy do a wonderful job and the blackman middle school was 22-0 in their dual season and came up second to a great father ryan program in nashville in the conference...with only 2 8th graders on the starting team...and about half and half 6th and 7th graders

also very impressive is the copperheads from nashville and hendersonvilles feeder programs...jim croy...carlos calloway...gary jackel and other coaches of these programs are doing all that is necessary and more to produce good future high school wrestlers

cookville also has a very good middle school program..actually two full teams and their coach (can't remember name) loves wrestling and has really developed the middle school program over the last couple of years...

it should be exciting the next few years in middle tenn...

CBG, if I recall, I believe there is a club in Nashville called Southside something or other. I believe all the Simpson's and Dunning's wrestled for that club. Is that club still in existence?

Yes, Southside is still around but I really don't see them doing very much. The Simpson's & Dunning's have a different approach than most and they don't compete very much in the Spring & Summer. It is my understanding that they spend their time training with each other and in the weightroom.

Maybe they know something that others don't:

Philip Simpson 3X NCAA D1 ALL-AMERICAN NCAA D1 RUNNER-UP

Patrick Simpson United States Military Academy (should make the NCAA's this year)

William Simpson United States Military Academy (could qualify for NCAA's this year as a freshmen)

Raymond Dunning ALL-AMERICAN @ Adams State

Whitt Dunning United States Military Academy (wrestling varsity as a freshmen)

Edited by cbg