Vince Young Reportedly Bombs Wonderlic

According to ESPN, the "real" Wonderlick scores have been released. Vince didn't get a 6, or a 16.. He got a 15. BTW, Dan Marino got a 14. Fitzgerald from Harvard (last year I believe) got a 40- the all-time high.

Lowest score this year for a QB was Marcus Vick at 11.

Lowest score ever for a QB was Jeff George with a 10.

You can debate the merits of this measuring stick all you want, but you have to believe that an NFL GM drafting a franchise QB, would feel a little uneasy with an "improved" score of a 15. That kind of score, for the Titan's offense, might prove a red flag.

Also, at his pro-day yesterday, Vince Young posted anywhere from a 4.5-4.6 in the forty. That is good for a man his size playing QB, but he won't outrun linebackers or many defensive ends in the NFL. Let's stop the talk about the next Michael Vick. Vick is an entirely a different class speed-wise. Of the next Steve Young, who ran a 4.4 in the forty. Young is a better than average speed guy for a QB, faster than Cutler at 4.7, but still not someone who will blow by people.

His one on one workouts with the Titans will tell them everything they need to know.

I think the 40 is blown way out of porportion! Its good to have speed, but its alot different running straight down a field with no pads on and running down a field dodging other players that are trying to rip your head off! I have seen guys that didnt have an impressive 40, but you put them in the game and they look like sprint champions!!!! ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 40 is blown way out of porportion! Its good to have speed, but its alot different running straight down a field with no pads on and running down a field dodging other players that are trying to rip your head off! I have seen guys that didnt have an impressive 40, but you put them in the game and they look like sprint champions!!!! :lol:

Yeah sometimes there is a difference depending on the situation.

Good points, but how else would you establish some benchmark to see who is fast and who isn't?

The 40 time is broken down two ways, first 10 yards (acceleration, burst), and finish (sustainable speed). Rarely does anyone other than a wide receiver or kick/punt teams run 40 yards.

That is why they also have the shuttle run, which shows burst, change of speed, and ability to get back to speed.

You combine all of these and you get a pretty accurate picture of how fast or quick the athlete is. The 40 time is the most easily understood of the running measurements, and has thus become (rightly or wrongly) THE standard.

Good points, but how else would you establish some benchmark to see who is fast and who isn't?

The 40 time is broken down two ways, first 10 yards (acceleration, burst), and finish (sustainable speed). Rarely does anyone other than a wide receiver or kick/punt teams run 40 yards.

That is why they also have the shuttle run, which shows burst, change of speed, and ability to get back to speed.

You combine all of these and you get a pretty accurate picture of how fast or quick the athlete is. The 40 time is the most easily understood of the running measurements, and has thus become (rightly or wrongly) THE standard.

I am not saying that its right or wrong, I am just saying I think it is over-rated! And you are right, there is no other way to evaluate speed that the 40, yet I have seen players that run a 4.5 or 4.6 outrun guys in a game that are suppose to run 4.3! Which could absolutley mean that one has a quicker burst while the other can sustain that speed longer! :angry: