Region 6 A

orange

Wow, it wasn't too long that MP was the cellar dweller in 6A with all these athletes. I know athletes are important but give Coach Smith and his staff just a little credit. You can be the greatest athlete in the world, but if you don't have a great leader you can't bring anything to a team. Winning Region 6 is never a given because its the toughest region in 1A top to bottom. I'm sure if Coach Smith is a good coach he will not take anybody lightly. As far as Daily goes, he can't do it himself. JoByrns proved that. Other "athletes" will have to step up and take some heat off him for MP to win Region 6 and a state title. Whatever the case, its finally nice to hear MP being mention with other great powerhouse in the state of Tennessee in 1A.

Coach Smith and his staff deserves alot of credit.He has done a great job since taking over.Has blended his athletes well.A classy guy!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moore County has the record with 5 region championships in a row from 95-99. Moore County also went 4 years without losing a region 6 game In the Mac era. The loss came at Wayneseboro 28-14 that ended that streak at the "no lights" field. Using a worn out football and jerseys with the numbers worn out on them.(haha), the good ole days of Mac and Coach Rice.

Also back in 1986 Spring Hill went to the Clinci Bowl when they were from region 6, Richland in 87, Moore County in 88 and 99. It's been a few years since anyone has gone from region 6.

U

Use to hear stories about these two coahes(Mac and Rice). I heard they had some wars over the years.Too bad things have changed.They have both moved on.As for Region 6 and state championships they beat the hec out of each other during the season because they have got so many region games. I think they have 8 region games now but at one time they had 9.Richland and Moore Co. are the only teams from Region 6(Richland once and Moore Co. twice) to make it to the state championship game, and was runner-up.Richland is now 2A. Tough region to play in!

Oh the days of Mac and Rice.It must of been fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U

Use to hear stories about these two coahes(Mac and Rice). I heard they had some wars over the years.Too bad things have changed.They have both moved on.As for Region 6 and state championships they beat the hec out of each other during the season because they have got so many region games. I think they have 8 region games now but at one time they had 9.Richland and Moore Co. are the only teams from Region 6(Richland once and Moore Co. twice) to make it to the state championship game, and was runner-up.Richland is now 2A. Tough region to play in!

Oh the days of Mac and Rice.It must of been fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The days of MAC AND RICE wasn't fun for me, we got our butts beat every time!!!

Those were very well coached teams!

I got a good story about Mac and Rice, the rivarly. In 1995 Moore County played Waynesboro in the burg. The whole pre-game Waynesboro was chanting baby blue, baby blue. Well Mac went nuts in the locker room over this! Billy Green and Nick March for MC ran every punt and kickoff back deep inside Wildcat territory every time, a couple went for td's. Well in the 4th quarter We had the lead but Mac wanted to run the score up, it was already 50- 35 in our favor. Well the play was a qb dive on the goal line and the Quaterback for Moore County broke his leg. Well the game ended. Mac and Rice sent both teams off the field without shaking hands. The next week, Rice's wife sent a letter to Coach Mcurry saying the qb got what he deserved becasue of Mac's play calling if I remember correctly.

Again Coach Mac went nuts. :thumb: He went and had shirts made becasue he thought the two teams would meet again in the play-offs, but Wayneseboro got put out before that happened.

Thought yall might like that story, I know it's off the subject but I couldn't resist.

Edited by BURLEY

I got a good story about Mac and Rice, the rivarly. In 1995 Moore County played Waynesboro in the burg. The whole pre-game Waynesboro was chanting baby blue, baby blue. Well Mac went nuts in the locker room over this! Billy Green and Nick March for MC ran every punt and kickoff back deep inside Wildcat territory every time, a couple went for td's. Well in the 4th quarter We had the lead but Mac wanted to run the score up, it was already 50- 35 in our favor. Well the play was a qb dive on the goal line and the Quaterback for Moore County broke his leg. Well the game ended. Mac and Rice sent both teams off the field without shaking hands. The next week, Rice's wife sent a letter to Coach Mcurry saying the qb got what he deserved becasue of Mac's play calling if I remember correctly.

Again Coach Mac went nuts. :thumb: He went and had shirts made becasue he thought the two teams would meet again in the play-offs, but Wayneseboro got put out before that happened.

Thought yall might like that story, I know it's off the subject but I couldn't resist.

I've talked to other coaches about Mac and Rice and said these two men got the most out of there players.Didn't matter if they had alot of talent, they always found a way to be really competitve.Nice story!I'm sure there are plenty more.Too bad there not around anymore.

I've talked to other coaches about Mac and Rice and said these two men got the most out of there players.Didn't matter if they had alot of talent, they always found a way to be really competitve.Nice story!I'm sure there are plenty more.Too bad there not around anymore.

I heard there was going to be an announcement on the Wayne Co. job next week. Hearing through the grapevine it is one of the coaches at Collinwood.Let us know!

Also when is Eagleville going through spring practice? Hearing awesome things from this bunch!

Burley, I've heard that story also and a lot more of them. I wish things were the same like back then!

It would be awesome if things were like they use to be.Even though Coach Rice is back in Region 6, its still not the same when those two hardheaded coaches went at it.Maybe we can get Coach Mac back somewhere in Region 6 and let him and Rice go at it again.Pretty boring with those two not going at it anymore.More stories than I can ever remember.They certainly love what they do!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have heard coach rice and coach bradley talking about the old moore county and wayne county rivalry. they always get excited when talking about those games. we even watched one of thier game films, i think it was when bradley was a senior. they beat mc at waynesboro. it was a great game on film and i bet it was even better to watch in person. i think rice some of the spark back in him when the vikings finally got into region 6a, playing those old teams and playing some of the same coaches really got him motivated to win this region agian. watch out for rice and the vikings this season as well. i wish we had him in all four of my years.

go vikings.

To me the region just seemed stronger back then. It is still strong today, but back then ever team was shooting to knock Wayneseboro and Lynchburg off the top. Every week it seemed Moore County had to play their best, it was a dog fight most Friday nights in Region 6 play for MC. Coach Mac did alot for Moore County as well, he held football camps for the smaller kids, and visited all the pop warner and junior high practices through the week. Everyone respected him no matter if they loved him or hated him. I myslef also respect Coach Rice, every game I played against him he always shook my hand and gave me a hug. When your 17 and 18 yrs. old that means alot coming from other Coaches beside your own.

i played for coach rice i those days. those games were always a war. usually it went to the home team. vikingpride is talking about the 1996 game and it doesnt take much persuation to get me to stick that film in to watch. they had running back named Green i believe. he was a big guy but we shut him down that night. both teams played hard for their coaches and they got the most out of their players. There was no doubt on Saturday, that we had played moore county becuase we could barely move. hard hitting highly emotional games. wore out mentally and physically. Wow, that is what highschool football is all about and what we want to get rolling here in Linden.

A thread about rice and mac and the stories from those games and the week a practises before Friday could fill this whole forum. THAT WAS A RIVALRY. to bad coacht wasnt going back then.

If my memory serves me correctly I think Billy Green hurt his ankle that game and it knocked him out of getting Mr. Football that year. I also remember many players leaving that game with ice packs on their shoulders and legs. But what a game it was that night! I used to carry the Moore County banner/flag when the team came out. I was in seventh grade, I still remember everyone being in tears that night after the loss. I can still see that game in my head and all the big plays and big names, like Green for MC and Coggins WC( I think that was name?) the Mr. football winner of 95? Too bad those days are gone.