Every key stroke must have been made

CPGB06

There was a little kidding around on the girl's basketball thread about public and private. It was not close to being a debate, more of jokes about the subject.

Well it was taken off the girls thread so I thought it might had moved here. To my surprise, it was not here and there is hardly anything on the Public/Private debate threads. I suppose every key stroke that could have been made, has been made. I guess the debate is over.

By the way... did something happen that I missed. Other than some D1 private kids actually increasing in talent by something like 180%, I did not see a change at all.

Okay... I'm going back to sleep... this is too boring. It used to be fun.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a little kidding around on the girl's basketball thread about public and private. It was not close to being a debate, more of jokes about the subject.

Well it was taken off the girls thread so I thought it might had moved here. To my surprise, it was not here and there is hardly anything on the Public/Private debate threads. I suppose every key stroke that could have been made, has been made. I guess the debate is over.

By the way... did something happen that I missed. Other than some D1 private kids actually increasing in talent by something like 180%, I did not see a change at all.

Okay... I'm going back to sleep... this is too boring. It used to be fun.

Actually, if you have a good, debatable statement then I think a lot of people wouldn't mind having something to talk about. The problem right now is that football is out of season. That is the season that really, really chaps the backsides of public supporters. ;)

Other than some D1 private kids actually increasing in talent by something like 180%, I did not see a change at all.

Actually the first thing I thought was that we have entirely too many classifications. There is no real reason for 5 D1 state champs in football. 8 total when you add all the D2s. That's just crazy. I know it was early in the year and all, but the 1A champ still beat the 3A champ.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think their are too many classifications; I believe five is a good number. I don't approved of all the antics of private schools, but I don't like them being placed in a different division. I do think eight champions is too many...actually ridiculous. I would love to see the privates come back to division 1, with the multiplier rule still in effect. When I played we may not have liked the private schools very much, but I always enjoyed the good competition...maybe that is why we were so successful as a team. Bring 'em back to D1.

Any thoughts?

I don't approved of all the antics of private schools

What antics are you talking about in particular?

I would love to see the privates come back to division 1, with the multiplier rule still in effect.

Is the multiplier the right answer? If so ... and BA decided to go strictly by the multiplier ... I believe they would fall somewhere in 2A or 3A.

Wouldn't a merit system where all teams fall within their respective classes according to their own merits or lack thereof? There also seems to be a disproportionate number of open-zoned and magnet schools that are making it to state tournaments and winning titles in all sports. This would equalize the playing field for all teams - big and small.

By antics...I mean...the ability to recruit players to come to your school; it happens. I know, I know, I know - some public schools do it, and then you have the magnet schools and so forth. The ability of a private school to offer scholarships isn't the same as open-zoned school. I do agree with your perspective about the magnet schools. If publics do recruit, it is illegal...punish them. Private schools can do it and it is alright.

Put in your merit system-I would like to hear more about it though-because I honestly don't know the basic idea of it; please explain.

If TSSAA doesn't want to implement a new system, then allowing privates back in D1 under the multiplier is fine with me. I have no gripes over BA playing at a 2A or 3A level if that is where the multiplier places them. I never was for the complete split to begin with...I just want things to be little fairer for the publics. I would never want teams to back away from better competition; it only makes you better.

By antics...I mean...the ability to recruit players to come to your school; it happens. I know, I know, I know - some public schools do it, and then you have the magnet schools and so forth. The ability of a private school to offer scholarships isn't the same as open-zoned school. I do agree with your perspective about the magnet schools. If publics do recruit, it is illegal...punish them. Private schools can do it and it is alright.

Thanks for the answer. I'd like to point out that the privates in D1 still are not allowed to give financial aid to any student that participates in sports regardless of need or scholarship. Only the D2 privates do that.

Put in your merit system-I would like to hear more about it though-because I honestly don't know the basic idea of it; please explain.

As for the merit system as it is stated on threads of this board, I can't claim that it was my idea. I'm not really sure who's it was, but it is a great concept.

Everyone is put back into D1, erasing D2. All teams play within their said enrollment in the 5 classes. After a period of time (maybe 5 years), won/loss records are added up and the most successful programs are moved up a class and the least successful programs move down a class.

For example, take McGavock. Historically, they do not win a lot even though they are one of the largest high schools in terms of population in the state. If they perform poorly enough, they would move to 4A. If they perform poorly over the next 5 year period, they would move down again ... until they found that sweet spot where they are competitive. If they got their act together and won a lot at that level ... then they would be subject to moving back up after the next 5 year period.

It works the other way too. A team like Trousdale might move to 2A after dominating in 1A.

This would allow all the teams to find where they belong competition-wise or merit-wise regardless of school population, student apathy, facilities, scholarships, booster money, etc.

That makes a solution that addresses a lot of issues with the TSSAA. D2 schools, D1 privates, magnet schools, open zoned schools, and publics with a lot of $$$ like Germantown, Hillsboro, Brentwood, Farragut, etc.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

There are various merit plans, varying in details, but one key feature is that your class is not necessarily the same in all sports. A school like Gibbs would likely end up in the highest class in softball (likewise Page in volleyball), while not advancing in the sports where it's less successful.

As for the privates in D1 not giving scholarships...can you explain how the work-study program works. Don't some athletes get a work-study type of scholarship. Yes, I know they have to "work" to get the money, but how often do some programs take advantage of that situation. By this I mean: 1) where is the work-study completed, 2) who actually monitors the work, 3) who monitors the paperwork for the work completed, 4) is there a limit to how much students can earn through this type of financial aid?

The merit system you discussed does seem to have firm basis for success. I would like to learn more details about it though. Are there other states who already have this implemented? Once again I see nothing wrong with steady competition, but is it fair for a team like Trousdale, with 1A enrollment, to have to move up classifications because of good coaching? Once again, I am not moving away from competition, but looking more for fairness. I mean it isn't the fault of Trousdale Co. that they have been successful over years due to coaching. But they can only be successful at such a level where enrollment and numbers do begin to play a factor...don't you agree. At some point in time would Trousdale be placed in a division with Riverdale, Maryville, Hillsboro, etc. I just don't see that being fair...only due to the fact of numbers.

As a whole, I would be interested in learning about the merit system you spoke of. It does seem to have potential. Thanks for enlightening me on your perspective.