Every key stroke must have been made

CPGB06

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't. Please enlighten me.

A lot of private schools, not all certainly, but some of them were formed in the face of desegregation. I lived in Memphis and was in 6th or 7th grade when that city implemeted busing. I know that was one of the primary reasons for Briarcrest opening. It was also one of the primary reasons for USJ (the Old Hickory Academy) opening. It`s not saying by any means that private schools are racists...far from it. But at that time of forced integration there were a lot of hostilities at public schools. I think private schools were an outlet to stay away from potential race problems at such a time in history.

How about "most of the current Division I privates?"

Indian...I don`t doubt at all that there were private schools formed as a result of desegregation. But I think you are old enough to remember that time in history. I know for example there were a lot of in school fighting when bussing became mandatory, especially in Memphis. Safety was a very legitimate concern back then. That`s why there became a demand for something alternative. Nowadays, I think it`s more for quality of education.

"OK. Name them."

DCA, FRA, EHCS, should i go on?

My point is that not every private school was started due to "white flight".

For every school you name that was, I can name a school that was not - at least in the Nashville area. I am not arguing the point with you.

sharptop implied that all private school started because of "white flight". That is just not true.

"My point is that not every private school was started due to "white flight". "

no, they werent.

but in todays world it seems like the traditional privates and the white flight privates sort of divide along the d-1/d-2 lines.

and i wouldn't criticize the "white-flighters" in the least.

the issues were a lot more complex than that.

(more gray than black and white).

with their misguided attempt at social engineering,

the supremes destroyed the nashville school systems of the time

(i dont believe they have recovered even today).

as bad as the whole concept sounded,

the reality was worse.

It seems to me that eventually this argument (Public/Private) returns to "R & R." That is, Race and Recruiting.

Race: I'm not sure why all private schools were formed. Only their founders would really know that. Is Signal Mountain High School (Proposed public Hamilton County School) being planned and built because of "white flight" from racially diverse Red Bank? I would assume there's room at Red Bank because the enrollment is down from previous years.

Recruiting: Could it possibly be that a student and his or her parents decide that a smaller, Christian school atmosphere would be beneficial to that student's educational process or at the very least, might be a better fit for the individual? If he or she is a pretty good athlete, does that factor negate the rationale for transferring?

I would like to add another "R." Ridiculous.

It seems to me that eventually this argument (Public/Private) returns to "R & R." That is, Race and Recruiting.

Race: I'm not sure why all private schools were formed. Only their founders would really know that. Is Signal Mountain High School (Proposed public Hamilton County School) being planned and built because of "white flight" from racially diverse Red Bank? I would assume there's room at Red Bank because the enrollment is down from previous years.

Recruiting: Could it possibly be that a student and his or her parents decide that a smaller, Christian school atmosphere would be beneficial to that student's educational process or at the very least, might be a better fit for the individual? If he or she is a pretty good athlete, does that factor negate the rationale for transferring?

I would like to add another "R." Ridiculous.

Well put supersteve... alot of people make this simply an athletic decsion but that forget "in God we trust". THAT is the main issue that led my family and a son who was a senior in high school to a "Christian school atmosphere..." Bravo for this post.