Hillsboro BEAT Smyrna

CoachT

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hillsboro came into Smyrna and whipped them. Smyrna got behind early and made one good run to take a 1 point lead in the 2nd quarter and then Hillsboro got back ahead and never trailed again. Smyrna really struggled with Hillsboro's pressure and made lots of turnovers. Very impressive performance by the Lady Burros

That's what happened in their loss to MJ. Did not think it would happen again.

Wow! Smyrna loses at home! I suspect a big dose of Jessica M.

Congratulations on a good year Lady Bulldogs. :thumb:

Metroman you called it.

I went to see this one, having never seen either team. Hillboro started fast and Smyrna closed to make it a 1 point game at the half. I really thought Smyrna's quick guards and tall posts would wear down Hillsboro in the second half, but it never happened. Jessica Mooney is a tremendous guard. She handles pressure, passes inside, defends, deflects, blocks, and controls the tempo of the game. She had just enough help to hold off Smyrna. One undersized post named Harrison made some huge plays and Hillsboro hit their freethrows. I don't think Hillsboro will win it all, but they played well tonight. Other than Mooney, they don't handle the ball very well.

I went to see this one, having never seen either team. Hillboro started fast and Smyrna closed to make it a 1 point game at the half. I really thought Smyrna's quick guards and tall posts would wear down Hillsboro in the second half, but it never happened. Jessica Mooney is a tremendous guard. She handles pressure, passes inside, defends, deflects, blocks, and controls the tempo of the game. She had just enough help to hold off Smyrna. One undersized post named Harrison made some huge plays and Hillsboro hit their freethrows. I don't think Hillsboro will win it all, but they played well tonight. Other than Mooney, they don't handle the ball very well.

I was at the game too and I thought Hillsboro handled the ball very well. Of course Mooney handles it most of the time because she is their point guard. They moved the ball very well and are very fundamentally sound. They did a great job of taking Smyrna's post players away by putting great pressure on the ball out front. Clearly on this night the better team won and it was no fluke. If Hillsboro plays like they did tonight they will be a tough out in the tournament. They are very well coached and it was a very impressive performance in a hostile environment. Mooney is very good, but Hillsboro has a very solid supporting cast to go with her. The Solomon sisters were both in double figures and are good players and the Harrison sisters are pretty good too. They didn't have just enough to hold off Smyrna, they were in complete control of the game about 2 minutes into the second half and Smyna never really challenged them.

I'll pretty much agree, but I still thought the others looked shaky with the ball under pressure. I don't think Smyrna forced the issue enough and allowed Mooney to walk it up and set the half court offense. Easier said than done I'm sure, but I would try to deny Mooney the ball back once she gives it up and really get after their other guards. Mooney is clearly the key.

I was at the game too and I thought Hillsboro handled the ball very well. Of course Mooney handles it most of the time because she is their point guard. They moved the ball very well and are very fundamentally sound. They did a great job of taking Smyrna's post players away by putting great pressure on the ball out front. Clearly on this night the better team won and it was no fluke. If Hillsboro plays like they did tonight they will be a tough out in the tournament. They are very well coached and it was a very impressive performance in a hostile environment. Mooney is very good, but Hillsboro has a very solid supporting cast to go with her. The Solomon sisters were both in double figures and are good players and the Harrison sisters are pretty good too. They didn't have just enough to hold off Smyrna, they were in complete control of the game about 2 minutes into the second half and Smyna never really challenged them.

The better team did not win tonight. Smyrna played absolutely terribly most of the game. They couldn't execute their offense or make any key stops. I'll give Hillsboro credit. They came to play tonight and they walked away with the win. Smyrna was not ready to play and it showed the entire game not including their 14-4 run to end the 1st half. I'm very disapointed with the way they played. Needless to say, congradulations on a great season by the Lady Bulldogs and good luck to Hillsboro at state. This isn't just March Madness for college basketball but for high school ball as well.

Sure would have like to have been at this game but had to travel elsewhere tonight, I can't imagine the atmosphere with Smyrna behind most of the game.

Just wondering who the leading scorer was for Smyrna...guess I will read the paper in the morning. Undoubtedly, Mooney was for Hillsboro.

Congrats to Hillsboro, you beat a very good team. See you in the 'Boro next week.

Sure would have like to have been at this game but had to travel elsewhere tonight, I can't imagine the atmosphere with Smyrna behind most of the game.

Just wondering who the leading scorer was for Smyrna...guess I will read the paper in the morning. Undoubtedly, Mooney was for Hillsboro.

Congrats to Hillsboro, you beat a very good team. See you in the 'Boro next week.

Taylor Oliver fouled out and both Pollock sisters were in heavy foul trouble most of the night. The Mooney girl is very good. I hate it for Smyrna .....saying the old great season speech just doesn't seem to help right now I don't think. :thumb:

The better team did not win tonight. Smyrna played absolutely terribly most of the game. They couldn't execute their offense or make any key stops. I'll give Hillsboro credit. They came to play tonight and they walked away with the win. Smyrna was not ready to play and it showed the entire game not including their 14-4 run to end the 1st half. I'm very disapointed with the way they played. Needless to say, congradulations on a great season by the Lady Bulldogs and good luck to Hillsboro at state. This isn't just March Madness for college basketball but for high school ball as well.

It comes as no surprise that even though Hillsboro won this contest of two very good teams they would still be considered as the lesser of the two.When Smyrna won the other night against WC,Coach Willey and one of his players were quoted in the Tennessean saying they expected to play WC again for the state championship.When the teams were on the floor warming up some of the Smryna players were talking on their cell phones, while on the court.The Smyrna team and so it seems fans alike thought they only had to show up.I think it is called the reading your own press clippings syndrome.And todays lesson is don't over look anybody and don't count your chickens before they are hatched.Good luck to Taylor, Kim,Devin,and the rest of the Smyrna seniors.