Private schools unfair advantage?

WCBalla

. . . Also, if I remember right Carlton Flatt was meeting with some parents before the kids were accepted by BA. This is what got the whole lawsuit going in the first place. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Coach Flatt sent letters to students who had already committed to enroll at BA in the Fall inviting them to particiapte in Spring football practice. There was at least one other issue with BA cited by the TSSAA.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so why the lawsuit?

itzme pretty much hit it on the head. The kids had signed contracts to go to BA. It was childish of the public school coaches and petty of the TSSAA to call this a violation and say that BA could not send out a correspondence letter.

The other thing that Bighurt was referring to involved complimentary tickets to a potential BA prospect. If I recall right Coach Flatt gave some passes to a middle school coach who wanted to bring some kids to a HS game. Coach Flatt gave specific intructions to him that he was NOT to let that one particular player use one and said if he comes he must pay his own way. Long story short..The kid ended up with a pass. The Middle School coach testified under oath what Flatt had told him and that he was the one to blame. I can`t remember what the circumstances were that he ended up letting the kid use it. But by sworn testimony Flatt did everything to make sure BA did not violate a rule. The problem arose when the middle school coach didn`t follow up. The folks at the gate had no knowledge of who had passes. They just accepted them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished reading every post in this entire thread. It is quite interesting for me to see that the public/private debate is still alive and pulsating. However, I would like to add a few statements of my own. First, I have never attended a private school, although 80% of my friends did. A few were contacted, illegally, by private schools. I also had friends whose parents just wanted their child to go to that particular school. Same situation for the public schools. A few were recruited, illegally, to go to another school. Point being this, recruiting does happen on both fronts, like it or not. But, not every public and private school are doing it. Some public and/or private schools don't have to recruit. Their success in a given sport draws others to their school, public or private. I do believe that private schools do have an advantage in that their facilities always seem to be superior to those of public schools because of how funds are able to be used. I believe that kids playing together for 7-8 years is an advantage, as well as the middle school coaches and high school coaches being able to work so closely together is an advantage. Also, mom and dad do not pay good money for their child to go to a private institution and act like an idiot (parental support). That being said, it does not make private institutions the bad guys. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best for your student/athletes as long as it is attained in a legal manner. Good for them. Some public systems have athletes that spend their entire lives playing with the same teammates. Some public school systems have wonderful facilities due to an emphasis being placed on athletics by their school boards and/or booster clubs and communities. The private schools seem to be fortunate to have all of this in line. Once again, great for them. However, the topic asks if there is an unfair advantage for private schools? Who really knows, or cares. There is a governing body in place. Perfect? No!!! However, like all governing bodies, I believe that they are trying to do the right thing. Mistakes will happen. I believe that is why the multiplier rule was added. Just like restrictor plate racing (Nascar), profit sharing (SEC football game money is split by all schools in the conference), salary caps/luxury tax (Major League baseball), there is some attempt to make things equal. But, who said life was fair anyways. I should be getting paid 5.2 million dollars per year to bat .185 and sit on the bench as a utility infielder for the Rangers, but I am not. Fair, no. Reality, yes.

Enjoyed reading the posts! ;):thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished reading every post in this entire thread. It is quite interesting for me to see that the public/private debate is still alive and pulsating. However, I would like to add a few statements of my own. First, I have never attended a private school, although 80% of my friends did. A few were contacted, illegally, by private schools. I also had friends whose parents just wanted their child to go to that particular school. Same situation for the public schools. A few were recruited, illegally, to go to another school. Point being this, recruiting does happen on both fronts, like it or not. But, not every public and private school are doing it. Some public and/or private schools don't have to recruit. Their success in a given sport draws others to their school, public or private. I do believe that private schools do have an advantage in that their facilities always seem to be superior to those of public schools because of how funds are able to be used. I believe that kids playing together for 7-8 years is an advantage, as well as the middle school coaches and high school coaches being able to work so closely together is an advantage. Also, mom and dad do not pay good money for their child to go to a private institution and act like an idiot (parental support). That being said, it does not make private institutions the bad guys. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best for your student/athletes as long as it is attained in a legal manner. Good for them. Some public systems have athletes that spend their entire lives playing with the same teammates. Some public school systems have wonderful facilities due to an emphasis being placed on athletics by their school boards and/or booster clubs and communities. The private schools seem to be fortunate to have all of this in line. Once again, great for them. However, the topic asks if there is an unfair advantage for private schools? Who really knows, or cares. There is a governing body in place. Perfect? No!!! However, like all governing bodies, I believe that they are trying to do the right thing. Mistakes will happen. I believe that is why the multiplier rule was added. Just like restrictor plate racing (Nascar), profit sharing (SEC football game money is split by all schools in the conference), salary caps/luxury tax (Major League baseball), there is some attempt to make things equal. But, who said life was fair anyways. I should be getting paid 5.2 million dollars per year to bat .185 and sit on the bench as a utility infielder for the Rangers, but I am not. Fair, no. Reality, yes.

Enjoyed reading the posts! :justwrestle: :lol:

Hadn't been on this thread for awhile, great post bystander. Reality is what it is...

oh by the way if the Rangers do call I need that same salary for being the bullpen catcher !!!

Edited by commander1

It`s just really hard for me to believe that with all the folks out there that dislike playing private schools (and there are a whole lot as evidenced by this board) that the privates haven`t ever tried to recruit a kid whose parents don`t like private schools and would turn them in. I mean is this not just lucky or what!? :thumb:

You need to get with the program Vol!!!!!! With all of the recruiting that the privates are doing & the billions of dollars that they are throwing around they just pay the parents off to keep them in check!!!! Is that not how they got you to keep your mouth closed? Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by cbg