George Pitts leaving BA for KING?

krichunaka

You are crazy. If Pitts had ETSU players, they easily would have won the conference. 7 State Championships is incredible. If that can't get you a college coaching job then nothing can.

Its gonna get him a college coaching job.... just not ETSU. It will get him an NAIA job such as King.

I pretty much agree with your DI comments..it is TOTALLY different.

I would beg to differ with you on your comments about coaching making a difference at the High School level, even on a team with very good players. It's not rocket science, but if granny could win with "those players" her name must be Pat.

Now, would BA have won a majority of their games with a mediocre coach at the helm? Probably. But look at the teams they played to win the City of Palms or the Arby's this year, and you'd have to say that some of those teams had comparable or in some cases, superior players all-around to BA.

Your comment is a cheap shot, IMO, at successful coaches in general, and at Coach Pitts in particular. People who are really good at what they do bring out the jealousy in the less accomplished and insecure.

100% agree with you on everything. I wish my grandma was Pat...:)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my Fraternity brothers is someone in George's immediate family. It's pretty much a done deal. He wants to be back home and at the rate Bartow is going at state (another year or two of stinking it up) plus some success by Pitts at King could equal an opportunity at ETSU. The big money donors at ETSU want Pitts, and I was told that the money is backing Pitts - he just needs two years to warm-up at the college level. Look for him to be the next coach at East Tennessee State - hopefully by Courtney Pigram's senior year.

ACDC Fan,

If what you are saying is true... do this:

Name one coach in the HISTORY of college basketball that has made the jump from NAIA division 2 (KING), to NCAA Division 1..... short answer for you....

It has never happened, and it never will. I challenge you to prove me wrong.....

The closest you are going to come is Lipscomb (NAIA D-1) and Belmont (NAIA D-1), and they made the jump a few years ago. Lipscomb lost one of the best coaches in the country when it happened....

As a matter of fact, of every coach in the Appalachian Athletic Conference (Kings league), only 2 coaches in the last 15 years have moved up to coach a higher level of basketball. Rick Scruggs (Milligan -NAIA D2) moved to NAIA 1... and Tommy Brown (Bluefield-NAIA D-2) is now the head coach at Lee (NAIA D-1)...

I am not saying that it couldnt happen..... I am saying that whoever the next head coach at King is has absolutely ZERO chance to make the jump straight to ETSU. Maybe a NAIA-1 or NCAA 2, but ZERO chance at state.

Who started this stupid thread anyway? :thumb:

George Pitts IS going to King. Why? Because he's good enough and deserving enough to make the move.

. . . .and, because Dale Burns is Smart enough to see that it happens.

. . . .and "coaching" To underestimate George Pitts as grossly as you continue to do is, well, questionable. And no matter how many can-nots you throw into the mix, the guy is capaple, and YES, he will be STRONGLY considered for the ETSU job, and soon. Why? Same reason: Because he's Good Enough, and deserving enough.

. . . .and, because ACDC Fan said so.

Coaching,

Look at the school in question (ETSU) and the stupid moves they have made concerning athletics money and everything involved during the last couple of years. Anything is possible. You are right to mention those facts though.

You are right, Scruggs made the jump to NAIA 1 and that team a few years later (Gardner-Webb) won a share of the Atlantic Sun (NCAA Division 1-A) Conference title in 2005 - GWebb is in the same league as ETSU and Lipscomb and Belmont (it could happen - the A-Shame is one of the four worst conferences in America). What I see happening is - if Lipscomb and Belmont can make that move from NAIA to NCAA Division 1-A, it could happen at King in ten years. I don't think Pitts will be there in ten years. I truly think, and this is what Johnson City wants - Pitts will be at State in some role in two years or less. He may not be the head coach, he'll be a top assistant.

Another rumor that I've heard - with all the basketball grumbling, Bartow may release an assistant coach or two (a la Fulmer) to get the fans off his back. If that were to happen and if the money is right, I could see Pitts enter a situation such as that.

But as of tonight, the King deal is done. Expect an announcement by Wednesday. Coaching, we get a lot of inside scoops here in the local newsroom. haha.

ACDC Fan,

If what you are saying is true... do this:

Name one coach in the HISTORY of college basketball that has made the jump from NAIA division 2 (KING), to NCAA Division 1..... short answer for you....

It has never happened, and it never will. I challenge you to prove me wrong.....

The closest you are going to come is Lipscomb (NAIA D-1) and Belmont (NAIA D-1), and they made the jump a few years ago. Lipscomb lost one of the best coaches in the country when it happened....

As a matter of fact, of every coach in the Appalachian Athletic Conference (Kings league), only 2 coaches in the last 15 years have moved up to coach a higher level of basketball. Rick Scruggs (Milligan -NAIA D2) moved to NAIA 1... and Tommy Brown (Bluefield-NAIA D-2) is now the head coach at Lee (NAIA D-1)...

I am not saying that it couldnt happen..... I am saying that whoever the next head coach at King is has absolutely ZERO chance to make the jump straight to ETSU. Maybe a NAIA-1 or NCAA 2, but ZERO chance at state.

You need to know what you are talking about before you writing a whole essay on nothing. King is making the jump next year to NCAA. They will still be a DII school but they are going to be in the NCAA.

I am not underestimating coach Pitts. He is "the man". An incredible coach, with an incredible resume.

I hope that he does well at King. I am sure that he will.

It will take some time. And if he makes this jump (which I hope he does), he can kiss his family time goodbye... he has never recruited before, and no matter how much you hear about what its like to try to be on the road all the time, it is a different story when you actually have to do it.

My entire point is that he will not be on ETSU's staff with a significant role (head coach, top two assistants) anytime in the next 5-6 years. ETSU is one of the most sought after mid-major programs in the country, and a coach with a few high school championships and a couple of years D-2 experience is not going to get him the job.

I hope he does well at King. He should, .. they have the money and facilities to bring in some players.... he will be challenged to find players who can cut it academically at King.

Coaching,

Look at the school in question (ETSU) and the stupid moves they have made concerning athletics money and everything involved during the last couple of years. Anything is possible. You are right to mention those facts though.

You are right, Scruggs made the jump to NAIA 1 and that team a few years later (Gardner-Webb) won a share of the Atlantic Sun (NCAA Division 1-A) Conference title in 2005 - GWebb is in the same league as ETSU and Lipscomb and Belmont (it could happen - the A-Shame is one of the four worst conferences in America). What I see happening is - if Lipscomb and Belmont can make that move from NAIA to NCAA Division 1-A, it could happen at King in ten years. I don't think Pitts will be there in ten years. I truly think, and this is what Johnson City wants - Pitts will be at State in some role in two years or less. He may not be the head coach, he'll be a top assistant.

Another rumor that I've heard - with all the basketball grumbling, Bartow may release an assistant coach or two (a la Fulmer) to get the fans off his back. If that were to happen and if the money is right, I could see Pitts enter a situation such as that.

But as of tonight, the King deal is done. Expect an announcement by Wednesday. Coaching, we get a lot of inside scoops here in the local newsroom. haha.

That is cool.... and you make a lot of great points. ETSU has not made a ton of great decisions in the past with basketball.... totally agreed.

Again, my argument was that it has never happened before. A coach from the AAC has a hard time making it out of that league. They either retire, take high school jobs, or get out of coaching all together. Coach Pitts may very well be the exception. But look at Tony Wallingford at Milligan. From 1993-2002 he won 8 championships in that league. If there has ever been a guy deserving, it is him. Why cant he make it out? Why doesnt he get offered a D-2 job?

Again, I am a coach Pitts fan. If anyone can make the moves, I am sure that it is him.... but I have to disagree with you that it will be in less than two years. As much as the guy already knows... he still has a lot to learn. Sure, once he gets guys on the floor he is a genious. But getting guys to come to King over Carson Newman, Lee (they have a TV show), Mountain State (they have a jet for recruiting), or any other plethora of schools out there is a different challenge. He has NEVER experienced what it is like to recruit. And he will be recruiting kids who have to be smart. You need a 3.5 or higher just to make it at King....

Its gonna be fun to watch.... I sincerely hope that he does well.

What I think you fail to understand is that King is also a private school (College) also. King awards more than $7 million in financial aid each year according to their website. I don’t think money is going to be the decision making issue with coach Pitts but if it was, I think King would be more than able to satisfy him on that issue. King is doing some major recruitment in preparation for their transition to NCAA DII…and with the addition of coach Pitts look for them to leave the NAIA with a GANG next year. I would say we will be hearing the official announcement on or right after the 18th of this month. Coach Pitts has nothing left to prove at the high school level…don’t you agree. It’s time to move on up!! Sorry itzme but the CHOSEN ONE is coming back home…and from what my sources tell me…he is VERY excited about the opportunity and is looking forward to the challenge!!!!

If Pitts comes your BOY will get a wake up call finally and will develop into a lot better player. Maybe even a team player. But Good luck next year. With a new A.D. at King, it looks as if things are growing and i dunno about the other sports, but the with the imcoming players that i have heard they might be signing then they should be an Awesome team. Cant wait to see them match up with ETSU or other big schools.

That is cool.... and you make a lot of great points. ETSU has not made a ton of great decisions in the past with basketball.... totally agreed.

Again, my argument was that it has never happened before. A coach from the AAC has a hard time making it out of that league. They either retire, take high school jobs, or get out of coaching all together. Coach Pitts may very well be the exception. But look at Tony Wallingford at Milligan. From 1993-2002 he won 8 championships in that league. If there has ever been a guy deserving, it is him. Why cant he make it out? Why doesnt he get offered a D-2 job?

Again, I am a coach Pitts fan. If anyone can make the moves, I am sure that it is him.... but I have to disagree with you that it will be in less than two years. As much as the guy already knows... he still has a lot to learn. Sure, once he gets guys on the floor he is a genious. But getting guys to come to King over Carson Newman, Lee (they have a TV show), Mountain State (they have a jet for recruiting), or any other plethora of schools out there is a different challenge. He has NEVER experienced what it is like to recruit. And he will be recruiting kids who have to be smart. You need a 3.5 or higher just to make it at King....

Its gonna be fun to watch.... I sincerely hope that he does well.

Actually---know for a fact Coach Wallingford had some similar opportunities but chose to stay at Milligan, mainly for his family or the timing wasn't right. WITHOUT A DOUBT----he is someone capable of getting it done at the D2 or D1 level.

As you've stated about the AAC, it isn't the easiest league to move up out of---but King won't be in that league much longer.....they have a GREAT facility and good budget for athletics.

Actually, the 3.5 GPA needed at King? That is really not even close. Under the right circumstances, you can get in there with MUCH less than that.....trust me.

All in all----it's a great hire for King. They've already gotten a TON of publicity out of something that has been done for a while now (that's the rumor). Burns will get it done there as the AD with or without Coach Pitts. I will be SHOCKED if it's without him.

If Pitts comes your BOY will get a wake up call finally and will develop into a lot better player. Maybe even a team player. But Good luck next year. With a new A.D. at King, it looks as if things are growing and i dunno about the other sports, but the with the imcoming players that i have heard they might be signing then they should be an Awesome team. Cant wait to see them match up with ETSU or other big schools.

Yea…I agree. I would say it will be much easier to be a team player when you don’t have to care them around on your shoulders!! :D:lol: (just a joke) :P

And you can get up off your knees with Coach Burns it’s not going to work. I’ve kept him updated on all your posts this year!!! ;) I think he said something about having a job for you over there at King…something you were very familiar with while @ THS. Only problem is they have bottles instead up cups. Bummer!! :lol: