Unaka Scrimmage

Hey Ref

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen both games last night. From what I have seen so far. Unicoi County is the most fundamentally sound team I have seen as of yet. I have never seen a girls high school softball team that has the mechanincs of college baseball players when they swing the bat. Whoever has worked with those girls needs to step up and tip their hat. I cant see them being shut down by any team in this area.

I caught a few innings of the Happy Valley Va High game. Apparantly Va Highs Varsity pitcher is injured and they are using an 8th grader in the preseason. From what I watched, that young lady will be one to watch when she is in high school. She only had one base runner reach and that was from an error from the second baseman. Overheard someone talking about seeing her pitch at Science Hill the other day and that she really did a good job against them. She had one mistake and it cost her but other than that she kept them off balance. That is saying a lot about a pitcher if she can keep Science Hill off balance. Like Unaka that team is a well coached fundamentally sound team. Great job ladies. It is refreshing to see some talent in this area and it speaks of the hard work these young ladies are putting into getting better.

VA high will not be returning for the remainder of the jamboree. Tonight the Lady Rangers are playing in their place against Elizabethton, and Saturday John Battle will take their place. Unaka also plays Unicoi tonight and they will face Elizabethton a second time tomorrow.

Edited by dedicated001

Why isnt Va. High coming back? I was wanting to watch that 8th grader pitch again.

According to the Va. High coach, Va. teams are only allowed to play in one preseason tournament and they are only allowed to play in a certain number of preseason scrimmage games. Since Va. High played in last weeks scrimmages in Johnson City at Winged Deer Park, if they had returned to play in Unaka's scrimmage (for more than one game) they would have been out of compliance with Va. state athletic rules and faced possible disiciplinary action. He said that he was sending another Va. team to take his team's place for the rest of the Unaka scrimmage games but I can't remember who that team was.

Elizabethton's JV beat Hampton's Varsity and Elizabethton's Varsity beat Unaka's Varsity (4-0). I think all teams are trying to get the early season kinks out and see just what they've got before the regular season starts. One positive sign I saw was sportsmanship on and off the field. It's good to see girls from different teams leave it on the field and drive off in a car together. Can't wait until Monday when all of this counts.

Good luck to all area teams - lets put upper East Tennessee on the map and let them know we take our softball serious. :thumb:

"Don't only be proud, be thankful!"

Edited by EHSFAITHFUL

Unaka played ehs twice the first time was "JV" sec time was "V" and also agaist the blue devils that was "JV"..Last nights score between ehs & unaka was (4-0) todays score(1-2)Good job lady rangers :thumb:

Good luck Rangers * Cyclones * Blue devils !

classy post buck shot, some early season kinks by all , but some good softball