Tennessee Titans

The free agents they are bringing in are very good and will make this team strong from the beginning and if they don't suffer a lot of injuries they want have to rely on the rookies like they did this past season.

WR - David Givens - New England

Signed a five-year, $24 million deal with the Tennessee Titans.

"My opportunities here to flourish were a little bit better," Givens said Tuesday.

Givens caught 59 passes for 738 yards and two touchdowns last year for New England. He joins a receiving corps that featured three rookies and had only one player with more than two years' experience last year.

Givens' agent, Bradley Blank, said the deal includes an $8 million signing bonus.

LB - David Thornton - Indianapolis

Signed a five-year deal worth more than $22 million with an $8 million signing bonus.

Tennessee was the first team Thornton visited after Indianapolis made no attempt to keep the two-time defensive captain. The Titans wanted to add his speed to a defense that ranked 29th in the NFL in points allowed per game and 26th in yards allowed per game.

Thornton spent the past four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, for whom the 27-year-old missed just one game. He started all 16 games last season, recording 96 tackles, two sacks and two forced fumbles.

C - kevin Mawae - New York Jets

Mawae spent eight years with the Jets, making the Pro Bowl from 1999-2004. One of his biggest sources of pride was his ability to stay healthy. But he missed the last 10 games of 2005 with the torn left triceps, ending his streak of consecutive starts at 177. That was third on the active list at the time.

Mawae spent eight seasons of his 12-year career with the Jets and was named to the Pro Bowl six straight years from 1999-2004.

S - Chris Hope - Pittsburgh

The Tennessee Titans agreed to a six-year contract with free-agent safety Chris Hope on Wednesday.

Hope started the last 32 regular-season games for Pittsburgh, including every game in the team's run to the Super Bowl. He had a career-high three interceptions last season.

"Pittsburgh was a great place," he said at a news conference. "I was limited to just play in the middle of the field, but I have the ability to play either safety."

Earlier this week he visited Miami, and planned to go to San Francisco to meet with the 49ers, but decided against it after meeting with Titans general manager Floyd Reese.

"I felt Tennessee was my new home," Hope said.

Hope was the fourth free agent signed by the Titans this week, joining linebacker David Thornton, wide receiver David Givens and center Kevin Mawae.

Edited by Sequatchie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dare_2_dream

these three guys will make them a few games better...but we still need to decide what were doin at qb or none of this will matter

they still will find a way to blow it ... but my question is, does pacman have a brother or cousin we could draft by chance?

Guest catfish-hunter

Where do the Tennessee Titans sit as of right now????

At quarterback they have a veteran pro bowler in Steve McNair, who is about to likely play his final season as a Titan, and they have Billy Volek (who despite showing flashes at times is still very much unpoven). Matt Mauck, who won a National Championship at LSU, is currently the emergency quarterback. This is the position that the Titans will likely build for the future by using their 3rd overall pick in the draft on. With the Saints signing Drew Brees the possibility of landing Matt Leinart is still there but in all likelyhood they'll wind up with Vince Young.

At running back they've resigned Travis Henry, despite his year to forget in '05, and they'll also return Chris Brown. Both of those guys have each had 1,000+ yard seasons rushing in the past and when healthy both of them are very good. That's just the problem though is how healthy can they stay????? Whether you loved him or hated him Eddie George was a guy that Titans fans ould count on to see suited out in uniform each and every Sunday. Jarrett Payton returns to provide depth in the backfield after showing flashes last year. Troy Fleming returns as the team's fullback and he'll be backed up by Damein Nash, who the team is probably about to make a fullback out of.

At receiver the team is just about set. David Givens was a huge signing and will start at receiver. The other starting receiver will be Drew Bennett. Last year's four rookies will all be back to provide depth in Brandon Jones, Courtney Roby, Roydell Williams, and OJ Small. Believe me when I say Tyrone Calico has played his final game as a member of this organization. The tight ends last year were a pleasant suprise for the Titans as the trio of Kinney, Troupe, and Scaife combined for the highest total of receptions among tight end in the NFL.

The interior of the offensive line will be a team strength but the tackles are very much unproven. Kevin Mawae, Benji Olsen, and Zach Piller make up one of the NFL's best interior lines and with reserves like Eugene Amano at center and Jacob Bell, who can play either guard position, the Titans have no worries here. The tackles were adressed for this reason in last year's draft and now it's time for them to shine. Last year the Titans drafted Michael Roos, David Stewart, and Daniel Loper. Roos, who started at RT last year, will likely switch over and start at LT this year. The RT spot is up for grabs between one of the other two and also look for Jacob Bell to be in the mix for that spot if the two guards stay healthy.

The defensive line, adressed in the draft two years ago, will be fine. Kyle Vanden Bosch was a suprise last year and he was quickly resigned in free agency. He'll be joined at DE by third year players Travis LaBoy, Bo Schobel, and Anwan Odom. At tackle Albert Haynesworth is back. He'll be joined by third year players Randy Starks and Jared Clauss. Rien Long has got to shine in what will be his make or break year as a Titan. Look for last year's rookie free agent Marcus White to see playing time.

The NFL's most underrated LB is Keith Bulluck. There's a guy who lays it all on the line for the Titans week in and week out. He'll return and be joined by a great compliment in David Thornton. With Brad Kassell and Rocky Boiman as free agents and Rocky Calmus now a Colt it's between Peter Sirmon and Rob Reynolds to start at MLB the way things stand right now.

In the secondary Pacman Jones and Reynaldo Hill both started at CB as rookies last year. Andre Woolfolk returns as the team's leading candidate to be a nickel back but if he doesn't get it done in camp look for Rich Gardner to handle that job. Both should be much improved this year and ready to help the team. Lamont Thompson returns at one of the safety spots but what about the other?????? Tank Williams is a free agent who'll likely not be re-signed and all the Titans have on the roster is Vincent Fuller, Donnie Nickey, and Justin Sandy. Marcus Randall, who was a former QB at LSU, will also be in the mix to see time back there.

Rob Bironas returns as the kicker. Craig Hentrich returns as the punter. Ken Amato will handle the team's long snapping duties again. Pacman Jones will handle the kick return duties and don't be suprised if the team tries Michael Waddell, who is a real speedster, back there once again this year.

TEAM NEEDS:

QB: for the future to lead this team back to prominance.

LB: I'd love to see them get a stud MLB

S: someone that can be a landlord back there in the secondary.

THOUGHTS PLEASE?????????????????????????????????????????????

The Tennessee Titans agreed to a six-year contract with free-agent safety Chris Hope on Wednesday.

Hope started the last 32 regular-season games for Pittsburgh, including every game in the team's run to the Super Bowl. He had a career-high three interceptions last season.

"Pittsburgh was a great place," he said at a news conference. "I was limited to just play in the middle of the field, but I have the ability to play either safety."

Earlier this week he visited Miami, and planned to go to San Francisco to meet with the 49ers, but decided against it after meeting with Titans general manager Floyd Reese.

Hope was the fourth free agent signed by the Titans this week, joining linebacker David Thornton, wide receiver David Givens and center Kevin Mawae.

Another great addition for the Titans.... :thumb:

I like the pick ups. Bringing in some older, proven leaders to help out.

I don't expect a playoff run this year, but 7-9 or 8-8 isn't out of the question. Now what QB do they get?????

Steve McNair will be the starting QB even if they draft Leinert, Young or Cutler. You don't bench a Pro Bowler.

Guest dare_2_dream

If they can't get Leinhart, take Cutler. Most of you don't like the Pacman situation of a year ago, then don't risk it with Vince Young either.

well its official now, we will take young lol