Mercy Rule

frommy

Guest Number8

if people don't like the high competition of soccer or the unlimed amount of goals u can score, maybe one should play volleybal or Ping pong where the scores are limited.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia Beat American Samoa (31-0) in the world cup qualifivation and i can find u a lot more of this results. Now we are talking about a Whole country, not just a team. So what would u like to say to that coach. i don't think he stopped the pounding after the break. SOCCER IS A COMPETATIVE SPORT!!!

Was this during the 02 WC qualifiers, bc if thats the case, Im afraid Australia didnt qualify for that cup.....sometimes, teams that run up the scores dont make it far... :D

Australia Beat American Samoa (31-0) in the world cup qualifivation and i can find u a lot more of this results. Now we are talking about a Whole country, not just a team. So what would u like to say to that coach. i don't think he stopped the pounding after the break. SOCCER IS A COMPETATIVE SPORT!!!

I guess I am just a dying breed. Or maybe I am just old. Either way, I can't control what other teams do, or what they think, but I can control mine. I just think there is so much more in sports than just points. Feel free to disagree (which it sound like a lot of you do) but that is just some old guy's opinion. So take it for what it is worth (which doesn't add up to a whole bunch)

Curious, what is the TN highschool record for most goals in a game? I know Science Hill had 26, but I thought there was a 30+ game a few years back.

maybe the topic should be a class rule instead of a mercy rule.but you can't regulate class. high school coaches teach players more than just soccer(hopefully) in a club level if you step on the field you chose to play at that level.in high school you just live in a certain district.big difference. i try to believe that one of the differences between soccer and other sports is the level of sportsmanship portrayed even by the professionals. i remember a game a couple of years ago that was replayed because a goal was scored in an unsporting manner.one team had played the ball out for a injury. on the resulting throw-in an overzealous forward took the ball and scored.obviously sportsmanship does not start at adulthood, it is something learned(or not) as you grow up.

There's more to soccer than goals. Running up the score proves nothing and is for the clowns who try to pad their stats. Have respect for those teams who try hard and just aren't good. I know when I played we had a limit of goals. What are u trying to prove by beating a Boone or Heritage 30-0?

maybe the topic should be a class rule instead of a mercy rule.but you can't regulate class. high school coaches teach players more than just soccer(hopefully) in a club level if you step on the field you chose to play at that level.in high school you just live in a certain district.big difference. i try to believe that one of the differences between soccer and other sports is the level of sportsmanship portrayed even by the professionals. i remember a game a couple of years ago that was replayed because a goal was scored in an unsporting manner.one team had played the ball out for a injury. on the resulting throw-in an overzealous forward took the ball and scored.obviously sportsmanship does not start at adulthood, it is something learned(or not) as you grow up.

No one forces players to play soccer. If a player cannot handle being beaten 7-0, 15-0, 25-0, or 350-0, then he needs to not play. I think sportsmanship is shaking hands after the game and maybe picking an opposing player up after a hard challenge, not scoring 7 goals on them and then start passing the ball around them, toying with them like they are some YMCA team. The way it should be handled is for the varsity players get about 10-20 good minutes, and then the JV players play the rest of the game, without any restrictions...What JV player doesnt love to get into a Varsity game and try to get a goal? Especially the JV players who dont even really get to play JV, if you know what I mean.

Was this during the 02 WC qualifiers, bc if thats the case, Im afraid Australia didnt qualify for that cup.....sometimes, teams that run up the scores dont make it far... :angry:

Farragut and MUS did... ;)

getting rid of scoring, in my opinion, is getting rid of a main essential in the game, you can not win with out scoring, and you need to practice scoring to get better at it.

what is the basest of playing this game? it is to win right? everyone agree?

i hope so

now to win in soccer you must put the ball in the back of the net at least once, right?

now, forwards jobs are to score or assist, if they can't do that what are they to do? stand there and talk, maybe throw down a blanket and have a picnic?

and what is all this talk about class?

why is it not classy to do what you are supposed to do?

you don't get mad at the janitor for cleaning the bathroom do you?

it's not a question of class when some one simply does what is expected of him.

Guest Number8

No one forces players to play soccer. If a player cannot handle being beaten 7-0, 15-0, 25-0, or 350-0, then he needs to not play. I think sportsmanship is shaking hands after the game and maybe picking an opposing player up after a hard challenge, not scoring 7 goals on them and then start passing the ball around them, toying with them like they are some YMCA team. The way it should be handled is for the varsity players get about 10-20 good minutes, and then the JV players play the rest of the game, without any restrictions...What JV player doesnt love to get into a Varsity game and try to get a goal? Especially the JV players who dont even really get to play JV, if you know what I mean.

Farragut and MUS did... :thumb:

Agreeeee 100%.

Sportsmanship has nothing to do with scoring. If there is an injured player on the field, then yes sure i ll kick the ball out. But tell me not to play to my potetial is not gonna happan.

Sportsmanship has nothing to do with scoring

It doesnt? You'd be surprised at the number of coaches who say "thank you" when another team has the chance to blow them out and doesn't. I prefer possession in games like that b/c when it comes crunch time, it's going to benefit you more by learning to pass the ball than by scoring 5 goals on a terrible team.

Prior to moving to TN my son played soccer at a private school much like CAK. They just never lost. When we arrived here he was in the 8th grade and there just wasn't much in the way of traveling teams. The local boys team recruited females to get enough to field a team. Needless to say they got pounded every game by 12, 15, 18 goals. It was a humbling experience for him. Now, in high school, he is very good and is on a strong team again with some very weak conference teams and he could easily score if he wanted but he remembers how it felt getting laughed at just because he wanted to play soccer. So he plays the ball back if the goal dosn't matter. It's made him a better player and a better person. Unless you have been there you simply cannot imagine the pain and humiliation that running up the score causes someone.

Edited by Ilovethisgame

It doesnt? You'd be surprised at the number of coaches who say "thank you" when another team has the chance to blow them out and doesn't. I prefer possession in games like that b/c when it comes crunch time, it's going to benefit you more by learning to pass the ball than by scoring 5 goals on a terrible team.

I am proud to say that i have played with you in the past. Apparently different coaches/parents have different mentalities of GAMES. it is not the end of the world if you take it easy on a weaker team

To TIN-Man, it is one thing to try to run it up on a weaker team in the regular season and playing hard in a REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game, the type of games to build confidence. If you say that you get confidence by running it up on Heritage and other schools like that then that is just messed up. It doesnt show that you have worked hard or that you came out on top in a tough game, it shows that you have no RESPECT for the other team.

Just because Australia ran the score up on some team doesnt mean that it is fine to do. I understand that people have different paradigms than other people, but there should still be respect.

Chizaggi...it is pronounced- pair-a-dime. It means belief system...dont ever attack another one of my posts again. I was discussing something with Tin-Man that he brought up...

no, i don't think it is the end of the world, and your right it doesn't give the better players confidence by beating weaker teams but it can give the younger players confidence when they score. take the william blount vs. bearden game last year. our varsity couldn't find the net, coach was so mad he took the starting line-up out(maybe not the keeper); our subs went in and scored alot and out showed the varsity, i don't know if that means anything, but our varsity sure did work harder in the second half and we got 10 minutes to score before we were subbed and we finally did but we were a little late so we got subbed for the rest of the game. i believe we ended up winning 8-2, our subs felt good about themselves for doing real well

so i believe that some people can gain experience by scoring, especially when they go in and score when the starters did not (probably real rare or the starters shouldn't be starting), sorry if I put the idea (which i think i did) that i want the varsity starters in every second of the game, they should play a large majority of the game in my opinion, especially the defense, but i do believe that they should be subbed more than usual, but every one that is on the field should play as hard as they can, and score as much as they can; its their job as a team to find ways to score in any situation.

I have more respect for a team that is getting beat by a large margin and still works as hard as they possibly can then a team that is beat 2-0 and are real good, just some bad breaks, that just quit with twenty minutes left int he game.

I have respect for every team that comes out and actually plays, but if one team is just better then another, i am sorry but that's that.

i didn't even know about that Australia thing until it was posted, so i don't put any emphasis on that.

i don't know how to respond to this respect thing because I still don't understand how it is being disrespectful by scoring. it is part of the game you don't think it's disrespectful if you have possession of the ball 85% percent of the game, so why is scoring any different? please i am curious maybe you can help me see your point of view because as of now i am still in the dark.

sorry about the mix-up chizaggi. and can anyone tell me how i can get one of those pictures under my name just wondering.