BA vs. TSSAA Ruling In

itzme

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about 8th grade tuba players? Do they get letters

in the spring inviting them to spring band practice?

Stan you amaze me. Any reasonable person can see that there is nothing wrong with sending a letter of correspondence to any student that has signed a contract and paid money. You have yet to explain how this constitutes undue influence and I highly doubt that you will since it wasn`t the case. How do you recruit someone that has signed a contract?

BA has sent six players to Auburn alone in the last five years. How many public schools with 350 or less have never sent a football player to the SEC? Most, nearly all? I think South Pittsburg, one of the top two public school programs currently in 1A, has had one in the last 25 years, maybe much longer. I don't remember the other area 1A football publics, Lookout Valley, Whitwell or Copper Basin ever having one, but Temple could next year in their third year as a program. Do you really think there is no divide, or reason why anyone with a public school should want a complete split?

of course, BA and MBA, among others, were playing with a de facto multiplier when we were send to DII. I don't think either school denies that there are some inherent advantages private schools enjoy. That's why each was playing at the highest level of competition possible, and not against similarly sized schools. But, that's why the public lobby had no choice but to jump on the financial aid issue as the cause for separation, because the multiplier was already in place.

It's not like KY, where the biggest public schools have to compete every year against all-male private schools that are BIGGER than they are. I posted this before but I'm proud especially of MBA for playing (and beating) Louisville-Trinity, a private school with almost 3x the number of boys we have in 9-12. Imagine if other TN schools scheduled that way?

I know you will be checking my facts, Rollredroll, so I have double checked the enrollment #'s at MBA (665, 7-12) and Trinity (1400, 9-12).... :lol:

Yes, as a matter of fact all students who have signed enrollment contracts get a package of information with all sorts of information about athletics, fine arts, forensics, and academic opportunities. Parents are paying a lot of money to send their kids to an independent school, and expectations for opportunities and communication about those opportunities is very high.

I don't believe there is a spring band practice.

Edited by itzme

Does BA have a band? I don't remember them having any type of band play at the football games but I could be wrong. I know for a fact that MBA does not have a marching band that plays during the football games.

Does BA have a band? I don't remember them having any type of band play at the football games but I could be wrong. I know for a fact that MBA does not have a marching band that plays during the football games.

No marching band right now. Concert band, jazz band and rock band. Give it a couple years and you never know!

stan,

i would give great credibility to the opinion of mr mcmillen.

and, i suppose, i agree with him in theory.

however, we have to deal with reality, not theory.

and recruiting is reality.

my thinking is that tssaa should simply state that athletic eligibility is determined by the individual member schools.

this places the onus of any applicable recruiting rules directly on the schools.

do you believe that any high school,

public or private,

can publicly condone recruiting?

no,

but they can escape responsibility by placing the burden on the tssaa.

i say shove that responsibility back where it belongs.

i believe that removing the tssaa recruiting rules would most likely reduce recruiting.

at the worst it would stay at the same level.

tssaa rules are not affecting ANYONE's behavior.

stan,

i would give great credibility to the opinion of mr mcmillen.

and, i suppose, i agree with him in theory.

however, we have to deal with reality, not theory.

and recruiting is reality.

my thinking is that tssaa should simply state that athletic eligibility is determined by the individual member schools.

this places the onus of any applicable recruiting rules directly on the schools.

do you believe that any high school,

public or private,

can publicly condone recruiting?

no,

but they can escape responsibility by placing the burden on the tssaa.

i say shove that responsibility back where it belongs.

i believe that removing the tssaa recruiting rules would most likely reduce recruiting.

at the worst it would stay at the same level.

tssaa rules are not affecting ANYONE's behavior.