NFCA Top 25

sbafan

http://www.nfca.org/news/?id=2389

USA Today/NFCA High School Top 25 Poll

March 23, 2006

The USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association High School Top 25 is compiled by state representatives from across the country. Records are as of March 21. Among the criteria considered are a school's strength of schedule, the quality of competition in its state or league, and the quality of its players.

Rank Team Location Record

1 Cactus Glendale, Ariz. 12-1

2 Central Cabarrus Concord, N.C. 4-0

3 El Dorado Placentia, Calif. 4-0

4 Palm Beach Gardens Palm Beach, Fla. 16-0

5 Ft. Bend Elkins Missouri City, Texas 14-3

6 Keller Keller, Texas 17-2

7 Canyon del Oro Tucson, Ariz. 13-1

8 Garland Garland, Texas 14-2

9 Chamberlain Tampa, Fla. 10-1

10 Sabino Tucson, Ariz. 10-3

11 Brenham Brenham, Texas 21-2

12 Freedom Oakley, Calif. 0-0

13 Valencia Valencia, Calif. 7-0

14 Bartow Bartow, Fla. 12-0

15 Escambia Pensacola, Fla. 14-1

16 Bradshaw Mountain Prescott Valley, Ariz. 13-0

17 Woodcreek Roseville, Calif. 8-0

18 Olathe East Olathe, Kan. 0-0

19 Red Mountain Mesa, Ariz. 9-3

20 St. Amant St. Amant, La. 21-4-1

21 Regina Harper Woods, Mich. 0-0

22 Royal Simi Valley, Calif. 0-0

23 Oak Park and River Forest Oak Park, Ill. 1-0

24 St. Benedict Memphis, Tenn. 8-3

25 Martinsville Martinsville, Ind. 0-0

For more information on the USA Today/NFCA High School Top 25 Program, please contact Mike Jarrell, NFCA Director of Web Operations.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March 23, 2006

The USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association High School Top 25 is compiled by state representatives from across the country. Records are as of March 21. Among the criteria considered are a school's strength of schedule, the quality of competition in its state or league, and the quality of its players.

For more information on the USA Today/NFCA High School Top 25 Program, please contact Mike Jarrell, NFCA Director of Web Operations.

Who has St. Benedict lost to????

Out of state tournaments can help in such rankings, but I still don't think who can beat who from different states is really possible to determine. It's hard enough even in-state due to teams peaking at different times, injuries, batting slumps, chemistry problems, etc. It's great recognition regardless, and just because Riverdale isn't in it and might be, or maybe probably is, deserving doesn't mean SBA isn't deserving. Two runs allowed due to errors still count. Two runs could still be scored in a tie breaker if the team is batting in the top of an extra inning, no suddent death unless it's top bottom of an inning. I wouldn't count preseason in anything to do with rankings, I know of a Class AA football team which ended the season 4-6 and tied in a preseason scrimmage against a Class AAA playoff semifinalist about 15 years ago, Todd Helton was the best player on the AAA team.

March 23, 2006

Okay maybe I don't know about these things, I know that St. Benedict is a good team, but how can you rank a team by there schedule, anyone can make a strong schedule that doesn't mean your a good team, its competition in its state or league then shouldn't everyone in that league be on it and the quality of players St. Benedict didn't even win state. Has St. Benedict and Baylor been in the same Region for the last three years because Baylor has won all of them.

Not surprised to see Ft. Bend/Elkins (TX) come in at No. 5 in the nation.

We (Union Co.) played them in Orlando last week during Disney's Spring Training

and got a pretty good spanking! They are one of the better softball teams I've seen in 20 years of watching/coaching the sport. Very talented group of young ladies.

I would put several teams from Tennessee up there with St. Benedict. Soddy would be one of them. One bad game does not make them a lesser team. Also Riverdale has beat them . Baylor is a good team too as are several other Tennessee teams. No, I would not single out St. Benedict to be the only Tennessee team worthy of the top 25, they are just the only one to fly to Texas to "BE SEEN"

I would have to single them out at this time as numero uno. St. Benedict would have to be rated tops in Tennessee based on their performance in the bracket games of the Beech Playday and the Hendersonville Tournament. Pool play is important in seeding but I know how we approach it and we save arms a lot of the time. They are a good team. There is a lot of balance this year and teams are going to loose in time limit pool games. Until someone steps up, they are the best. Time will tell.

Congrats SBA!!!! Very deserving recognition to a very good team.

As for the games with Riverdale, we have faced them 4 times this year, but only twice in the regular season. We are 1 & 1 against them in regular season (and 1 & 1 in preseason too.) The victory was in the tie-breaker and was one of the best softball games I have ever been associated with in my life. Very well played by both teams. The finals at the Commando Classic was late, cold and error-filled by BOTH TEAMS. Our(RHS) only run was un-earned and 2 of theirs(SBA) were unearned.....so take out unearned runs and St Benny wins 1 to 0.......Tired, cold, etc is a wash; St Benny was just better that night and had played one more game that day than us, due to our first round bye in the tourney.

Are they #1 in Tenn? Right now, I would agree with std and say "yes." That is not to knock anyone else, Soddy & others are strong too. Shaping up to be a great state tourney in several classifications!

Our paths will not cross again this year to "settle the score," but I expect SBA to be playing for a title in May here in M-Boro.

I would have to single them out at this time as numero uno. St. Benedict would have to be rated tops in Tennessee based on their performance in the bracket games of the Beech Playday and the Hendersonville Tournament. Pool play is important in seeding but I know how we approach it and we save arms a lot of the time. They are a good team. There is a lot of balance this year and teams are going to loose in time limit pool games. Until someone steps up, they are the best. Time will tell.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. We are very proud of our kid's accomplishments this year so far. I hope it has been noticed that we come to the Nashville area to play so we can play the best possible competition. We recognize that this is how a team improves. We have a senior laden team with girls that have worked extremely hard this past summer and in the off season to prepare for their final year of high school ball. We have several underclassmen who have stepped up and bought into the idea that we can accomplish something special this year.

When I posted our record as 8-3, I was including just regular season games. We actually went 19-2 in preseason. We are not claiming to be an unbeatable team - but I truly think we have the players to have a chance to win in any game we play.

We went to Texas (and by the way the kids were driven, they did not fly) with nothing to lose and played well against a great team which put us in a position to have a national ranking. Are there other great teams in Tennessee, absolutely!

Our biggest test will be how we play with a target on our backs. Before recently, we have always played the role as the spoiler.

This weekend we won the tournament in Germantown, Tennessee (our first weekend at home since preseason started). We're having a tournament the weekend of April 7th and 8th. I'm not in charge, but I think we still have some slots open. We'd love for some of that great middle and east Tennessee competition to come our way! ;)

St. Benedict has lost to Riverdale twice. They lost to Blackman once, 5 or 6 to 0. I dont know if you count the first loss as it was preseason, in Franklin. I dont think the last loss to Riverdale was a tiebreaker, could be wrong on that, but the score was 2-0. In the last game against Riverdale , Riverdale lost due to errors, late night stuff, erratic throws that scored two runs. In that game St. Benedict had about 12 to 14K's against them. If St. Benedict is in the top 25, Riverdale should be right there with them along with Hendersonville, who outplayed them the only time they played one another.

Personally I question the ability to rank high school teams with any sort of accuracy.

St Benedict beat Hendersonville one week prior in preseason 5-1 at the Beech Tournament, it was not the only time they played this year. St Benedict won the Beech pre-season tournament, left on Sunday drove to Texas from Nashville and played Keller, Tx ranked #1 in the nation and won, drove back to Nashville on Thursday and played in the Hendersonville Tournament and won it. There are good teams in the state of Tenessee unfortunately the rest of the softball community is not always aware of all of the potential talent that is in our state. The fact that St Benedict did this and got a ranking from it should excite other softball teams in our state. I would have a tough time questioning their ranking when their were 64 other good teams at the Hendersonville Tournament and SBA won it. The weekend before there were close to as many at the Beech Tournament and SBA won it too.

I don't understand how someone can be ranked in the nation and finish 3rd in the state in D2. Can someone please explain. Obviously Keller,Tx is not that good...no offense to SBA, I just was not impressed when my sisters team played them last year in the state. Did they get some transfers or something?

Edited by sd189