riverdale and the wing t

tank morgan

No offense priceless, but you guys are going to need some thing more than your own feeder school. As for Christiana Middle football, I do believe that they have had only one winning season.

Team could STARVE having Christiana for a 'feeder'. Hopefully Coach A can develope a good relationship with the coaches there though. Could be a positive for both schools. How do the other 'Middle Schools' defend against a Wing T? :thumb:

One thing though, ALOT of this years line came from that area and were pre Christiana Middle but were at Barfield with NO football. Alot of the first and second lines were from there.

Gonna be an interesting year for sure!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team could STARVE having Christiana for a 'feeder'. Hopefully Coach A can develope a good relationship with the coaches there though. Could be a positive for both schools. How do the other 'Middle Schools' defend against a Wing T? :thumb:

One thing though, ALOT of this years line came from that area and were pre Christiana Middle but were at Barfield with NO football. Alot of the first and second lines were from there.

Gonna be an interesting year for sure!

for sure

the wing t has not been too good to riverdale either playing against it or runnning it in their offense. a lot of their few losses came to teams that ran the wing t. does anybody recall riverdale football before the rankin era? they ran the wing t in the 80's until rankin. be careful riverdale warriors not to fall back into the rut of going 6- 4 with the wing t because history does and can repeat itself.

If we can get it down soon i think that it just made us stronger so i doubt it will :thumb:

the wing t has not been too good to riverdale either playing against it or runnning it in their offense. a lot of their few losses came to teams that ran the wing t. does anybody recall riverdale football before the rankin era? they ran the wing t in the 80's until rankin. be careful riverdale warriors not to fall back into the rut of going 6- 4 with the wing t because history does and can repeat itself.

okay, besides the dickson county defeat...who else running the wing-t has beaten riverdale? i personally never lost to a wing-t team from 1999-2003. in fact, we beat hendersonville 35-7 in the state championship in 2002, and they supposedly ran it better than anyone in the state. riverdale may have had some tough luck running the wing-t, but except for one incident, i have yet to see them struggle with defending against it.

well riverdales last region loss came from a wing t team when Mt juliet beat them at mtsu with erick locke at qb. MJ won the region that year. then riverdale won the state. Interesting fact about that game is the Oc at Mj then has been at hillsboro with Coach A for about the last 7 years as the qb and LB coach. But what people keep forgetting is that Coach A does not run the old wing t. Read the thread a couple threads down about the wing T discussion it will give you a better idea about coah a offense

okay, besides the dickson county defeat...who else running the wing-t has beaten riverdale? i personally never lost to a wing-t team from 1999-2003. in fact, we beat hendersonville 35-7 in the state championship in 2002, and they supposedly ran it better than anyone in the state. riverdale may have had some tough luck running the wing-t, but except for one incident, i have yet to see them struggle with defending against it.

First, riverdale beat hendersonville because they were far superior athletically. Second, the wingt is only as good as the coach running it. It is a system of playcalling unlike any other. Ron A. knows the wingt. I'd say its the most popular high school offense at all levels in most states.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but we Gallatin fans still have a bad taste from the wing-t in our mouths. When Lassiter first came, that's what he ran. The problem with this offense is that if you face a very fast defense, as teams often do in 5A, it isn't successful. I think the Hendersonville/Riverdale championship game was a great example of that. The system does work great in smaller classifications, where there isn't as much depth on defense. A team can win games running the wing-t, but they will eventually meet a defense that will eat it alive. Another example... Wilson Central in '05 vs. yet again Riverdale. The offense in other situations isn't a problem, but in the big leagues it will eventually run out. If you don't believe me, just look at how many wing-t teams have won the state championship in 5A as opposed to other classifications. I think Riverdale is going to get a nice view of 3rd place in their region this year.

I'm sorry, but we Gallatin fans still have a bad taste from the wing-t in our mouths. When Lassiter first came, that's what he ran. The problem with this offense is that if you face a very fast defense, as teams often do in 5A, it isn't successful. I think the Hendersonville/Riverdale championship game was a great example of that. The system does work great in smaller classifications, where there isn't as much depth on defense. A team can win games running the wing-t, but they will eventually meet a defense that will eat it alive. Another example... Wilson Central in '05 vs. yet again Riverdale. The offense in other situations isn't a problem, but in the big leagues it will eventually run out. If you don't believe me, just look at how many wing-t teams have won the state championship in 5A as opposed to other classifications. I think Riverdale is going to get a nice view of 3rd place in their region this year.

Riverdale/ Hendersonville championship game? Remember .... OAKLAND ALSO had a speedy defense that shut down Hendy's wingT in the state in 98. Not only did Hendy run the T well, but they had SIZE big time all over that team. I mean they were absolutely HUGE on their lines.

Edited by 2priceless

Coach A's wing T is a bit different. I would compare it more to Wilson Central's Double Wing action more than I would to a traditional Wing-T. Personally, I don't love the Wing-T, but I loved the way DeWayne Alexander and Wes Elrod ran it a Dub-C last year. Lots of options to have to defend. I think Riverdale can be successful with the scheme, but it will be different.

I myself am not a fan of the Wing T at all in any aspect...but to be succesfull running it you have to have the players to run it...it all depends on what kind of talent you have in different areas...i think RDale will hit alot of bumps before the season but i beleive they will have it down by August

I myself am not a fan of the Wing T at all in any aspect...but to be succesfull running it you have to have the players to run it...it all depends on what kind of talent you have in different areas...i think RDale will hit alot of bumps before the season but i beleive they will have it down by August

The Wing-T is like any other offense...you have to sell out to it in order to be successful. Coach A has been really successful running this style of offense. He also runs the option off of it. Alex Trent ran that play really well. It is also really important to have lineman that are able to see defenses and follow their rules, Mostly Gap Down Backer....I think the Wing-T allows room for error on every play...with Rdales athletes they should be real tough

Edited by dawgsfan71