Trying to teach my son "submarine" style pitching

ccriders25

Anybody know of any camps or personal instructors that specialize in “submarine” style pitching?

My son is 9 and no one pitches like that in his league. I can't help but think that if he were the only one, he would be tough to hit.

I’ve taken him to a couple fastpitch softball lessons hoping that he could make the adjustment to baseball but it hasn’t worked.

His arm is naturally very strong from that arm slot because he is in two, year – round bowling leagues. It makes sense to me that he should take advantage of his strength and pitch similar to how he bowls.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Edited by ccriders25

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know of any camps or personal instructors that specialize in “submarine” style pitching?

My son is 9 and no one pitches like that in his league. I can’ help but think that if he were the only one, he would be tough to hit.

I’ve taken him to a couple fastpitch softball lessons hoping that he could make the adjustment to baseball but it hasn’t worked.

His arm is naturally very strong from that arm slot because he is in two year – round bowling leagues. It makes sense to me that he should take advantage of his strength and pitch similar to how he bowls.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

I think the secret is to hold the baseball with your two middle fingers and thumb. Of course, he needs to learn how to cup the ball if he wants it to curve and hit the pocket (I mean strike zone). Otherwise, the ball will go straight and he will be more susceptible to giving up hits. <_<

Get him to practice the tecnique using a wip like Indiana Jones. He'll know when he's got the right form b/c the wip will make a crisp popping sound. This is great for kids 6-9 on side arm throwing.

You could also take him to play some freesbee golf. By throwing the disc from the side this shows proper release.

If you have any more questions let me know.

I have one other one for establishing quick hands for kids I picked it up from a notorious 7aaa coach. What you do is you take a simple everyday mouse trap. Place a piece of cheese on it and have your son try to snatch the cheese w/o getting his fingers caught. This can cause crooked fingers which can be very beneficial on new grips for a pitcher. This ones a have to! <_<

We have put a "L" screen with a small hole cut near the bottom to have our pitchers work on the fastball. We then have them throw "around" a ple about half the diameter of a telephone pole. We place it just outside his landing leg to have something to throw around. If your son is 6'9", it should give him good leverage. I think it is a waste to have a tall kid throw over the top.

I would also suggest putting a belt sander on the back of his pitching hand to toughen it up when throwing the change. Instead of "killing" the backside, we drag our knuckles to both slow the arm down and create a diversion.

If this does not help, get back in touch with me next week. I will be doing 1st and 3rd seminars on Friday and "The Double-Cut...Who needs It?" on Saturday.

I have heard that Kent Tekulve and Gaylord Perry are going to hold a joint camp this fall. This camp will be perfect for any kid wanting to learn to throw the spit ball from a submarine delivery. The cost is only $500 for 3 hours, and you get a 1979 Pirates stovepipe hat and jar of Vaseline thrown in for free.

It is rumored that Phil Neikro will join the camp next year to add the knuckle ball. If your son goes to this camp, he can master the submarine spitter and submarine knuckler. A 10 year old with these pitches would dominate his league.

Edited by BigFly

I have heard that Kent Tekulve and Gaylord Perry are going to hold a joint camp this fall. This camp will be perfect for any kid wanting to learn to throw the spit ball from a submarine delivery. The cost is only $500 for 3 hours, and you get a 1974 Pirates stovepipe hat and jar of Vaseline thrown in for free.

It is rumored that Phil Neikro will join the camp next year to add the knuckle ball. If your son goes to this camp, he can master the submarine spitter and submarine knuckler. A 10 year old with these pitches would dominate his league.

C'mon BIG FLY, you know Vaseline is way too messy and the knuckle ball does not allow a pitcher to develop good arm speed. Stick with my methods and maybe add throwing a shot put or Olympic hammer, but forget the spitter. By the way, I ate lunch with Gaylord last week and his knees will not allow him to do much anymore. The last time I saw Ken, he was going to try to straighten out his grill. He looks like he has a mouthful of antlers in his mouth.

Big Fly, don't try to be a name dropper to impress people....this thread will probably be deleted because of comments like yours.....LEAVE THE FACTS ON BASEBALL TO ME!...a '74 hat would be cool though....have your people call my people.

C'mon BIG FLY, you know Vaseline is way too messy and the knuckle ball does not allow a pitcher to develop good arm speed. Stick with my methods and maybe add throwing a shot put or Olympic hammer, but forget the spitter. By the way, I ate lunch with Gaylord last week and his knees will not allow him to do much anymore. The last time I saw Ken, he was going to try to straighten out his grill. He looks like he has a mouthful of antlers in his mouth.

Big Fly, don't try to be a name dropper to impress people....this thread will probably be deleted because of comments like yours.....LEAVE THE FACTS ON BASEBALL TO ME!...a '74 hat would be cool though....have your people call my people.

thanks guys, i think i have some useful information to further the development of my sons pitching career. hopefully these tips will work better than the jenny finch instructional video i gave him... i heard that leo mazzone teaches the "submarine" delivery by having his guys roll kickballs to elementary children during recess. any truth to that??

Edited by ccriders25

I have heard that Kent Tekulve and Gaylord Perry are going to hold a joint camp this fall. This camp will be perfect for any kid wanting to learn to throw the spit ball from a submarine delivery. The cost is only $500 for 3 hours, and you get a 1979 Pirates stovepipe hat and jar of Vaseline thrown in for free.

Anyone with common sense baseball knowledge knows that Vaseline is outlawed after T Ball league. I personally know for a fact that cutting weeds with a Livelilad for 4 hours straight will help with your submarine motion. Trains the muscle memory in your arm and back. As for the Pirates hat, I have one of those nice black ones with the horizontal yellow stripes. Don't wear it out in public anymore though. Wife thinks I look like a convict in it (but I don't think she is referring to the hat though) :thumb:

Anyone with common sense baseball knowledge knows that Vaseline is outlawed after T Ball league. I personally know for a fact that cutting weeds with a Livelilad for 4 hours straight will help with your submarine motion. Trains the muscle memory in your arm and back. As for the Pirates hat, I have one of those nice black ones with the horizontal yellow stripes. Don't wear it out in public anymore though. Wife thinks I look like a convict in it (but I don't think she is referring to the hat though) :thumb:

Thanks for adding good old common sense to the thread "Old Timer," you are least not a name dropper like the rest of these so-called "baseball men." What is a livelilad?

I "personally" don't know Leo, cc, but I know if you kick "down" on a kick ball to get backspin for carry, you can blow out a knee. My 8 year-old was playing in the TBADETUPO Kickball World Series and blew an ACL, PCL, MCL, and all of his cartridges swinging down trying to score a runner from third with a ground ball in the middle....be careful playing kickball.

Thanks for adding good old common sense to the thread "Old Timer," you are least not a name dropper like the rest of these so-called "baseball men." What is a livelilad?

I "personally" don't know Leo, cc, but I know if you kick "down" on a kick ball to get backspin for carry, you can blow out a knee. My 8 year-old was playing in the TBADETUPO Kickball World Series and blew an ACL, PCL, MCL, and all of his cartridges swinging down trying to score a runner from third with a ground ball in the middle....be careful playing kickball.

i am totally against kicking "down" in kickball. i teach a "rotational" style of kicking. it helps players use large muscle groups and allows for further carry on the ball. the style is patterned after lou "the toe" groza

Edited by ccriders25

i am totally against kicking "down" is kickball. i teach a "rotational" style of kicking. it helps players use large muscle groups and allows for further carry on the ball. the style is patterned after lou "the toe" groza

No good...your theory! Too many balls in the air...players become selfish...one kick, one run. I found kicking level the ground is best, no matter how much "bounce" allowed or how rough the terrain. I did not know Lou started out in kickball....last time I saw him, he was having hip problems from doing no cross training as a player. Thanks for not dropping names some other posters.