Trying to teach my son "submarine" style pitching

ccriders25

One concern I have that no one else has addressed is whether or not your boy is a lefty or righty? You rarely see a successful lefty submariner. This is due to the rotation of the earth working against a lefty's body and the gravitational pull on the earth's axis. If your boy is a lefty, I would agree with one of the earlier replies and just stick with bowling or maybe badminton.

While I am not a scientist, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite and I have to disagree with you on this. The gravitational pull along the Earth's Axis is towards the center of the earth. In effect, whether lefty or righty, this will actually help him pull his arm down and drag his knuckles when throwing his change up submarine style as stated in an earlier post.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you read any of the other posts on this thread?? or have you been watching bunting videos all day? let me know if youre ever speaking at a clinic... i'll walk right past the guy talking about hitting and come straight to you :thumb:

CC,

Call me ASAP, I have sold my car and want to know if you want to go in halves on gas money to the bunting clinic. I am always looking for another way to give up an out...I have 20 left.

oh, i see. sorry about the misunderstanding. no apology needed... you didnt sound smart :lol: tell me more about this barrel of sand. what does that do?

gas at nine? i couldnt tell you mph, but the kids he's facing look like theyve still got the donut on the bat. Took, you seem to have great knowledge of the game. what do you think about my son's arm strength being developed by bowling? i may be wrong but it sounds logical to me.

The barrel of sand is something that my father told me about.. i believe and i may be wrong so no one quote me on it.. but i believe that the pitcher from Loudon that sign with UT the year used barrel of sand method.. i believe that the sand causes a lot of resistance which make you work your arm harder and allow it to get stronger.. thanks for the compliment on the knowledge.. im not sure about bowling making him stronger or not.. i dont know anyone who has done that, but who knows? i wish your kid the best of luck..

oh, i see. sorry about the misunderstanding. no apology needed... you didnt sound smart :blink: tell me more about this barrel of sand. what does that do?

gas at nine? i couldnt tell you mph, but the kids he's facing look like theyve still got the donut on the bat. Took, you seem to have great knowledge of the game. what do you think about my son's arm strength being developed by bowling? i may be wrong but it sounds logical to me.

The barrel of sand is something that my father told me about.. i believe and i may be wrong so no one quote me on it.. but i believe that the pitcher from Loudon that sign with UT the year used barrel of sand method.. i believe that the sand causes a lot of resistance which make you work your arm harder and allow it to get stronger.. thanks for the compliment on the knowledge.. im not sure about bowling making him stronger or not.. i dont know anyone who has done that, but who knows? i wish your kid the best of luck..

ah crap i knew that would happened.. sorry bout the last post being doubled

CC; I have several recommendations for you.

First of all bowling while it does strengthen the arm does not strengthen the (correct) throwing muscles perse. These muscles are only strengthened through a program of throwing and JOBE exercises, (specific weighted motions for rotator cuff, etc.) Also, the bowling form or style is not the correct style for throwing submarine. Neither is the "Jenny Finch" style. This can be easily illustrated by looking at pictures and slo mo film of current side arm and submarine mlb pitchers. I would highly recommend that you analyze, Mike Myers and Byung Hyun Kim. Although you aspire to have your son throw this particular style at age 9, I think you would be better off in the long run if you invested in a good over hand pitching coach and establish correct fundamentals first before moving on to a sidearm or submarine type motion. Having the correct arm motion is a very difficult and precise motion. That's why few people can do it at a high level. I think if you procede in the way you are going not only will you cause arm pain and frustration you will also probably assist your son in never reaching his true potential in terms of velocity, movement, accuracy and overall throwing ability. Not trying to be harsh but you would do well to heed the advice.

I think you're on to something ccrider. Ever hear of a submariner having rotator cuff problems? Tommy John surgeries? No. Because it's a more natural throwing motion. I wouldn't worry too much about playing other positions either. Just have him adjust his release point and play it like a fade. Right fielders throwing to third would release towards home plate and fade the throw into third. Shortstops would throw it towards the umpire behind first base and slice it into first. No problems.

ccrider: I have read all the posts and opinions and have a couple of questions before I offer my expert advice. Does your 9 year old son not have the velocity to get people out right now? Is that why you need the submarine style pitching method? I respect what you are trying to do...it is never to early to get look sees from the big leagues, but by age 8 my son was throwing exploding breaking pitches. By 10 his slider was the best in the league and he was playing up a year.

I disagree with the gimick pitching styles and if was a natural motion Leo Mazzone would have been doing it by now. Teach him the breaking picthes now. By 12 he should have big enough hands to throw the splitter. Trust me i know. People were really talking up my kid before he got out of Dixie Youth. I heard that peope in Florida was talking about him and I believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, he would be in the big leagues right now if it wasn't for his arm problems! :thumb:

Edited by Slyder

ccrider: I have read all the posts and opinions and have a couple of questions before I offer my expert advice. Does your 9 year old son not have the velocity to get people out right now? Is that why you need the submarine style pitching method? I respect what you are trying to do...it is never to early to get look sees from the big leagues, but by age 8 my son was throwing exploding breaking pitches. By 10 his slider was the best in the league and he was playing up a year.

I disagree with the gimick pitching styles and if was a natural motion Leo Mazzone would have been doing it by now. Teach him the breaking picthes now. By 12 he should have big enough hands to throw the splitter. Trust me i know. People were really talking up my kid before he got out of Dixie Youth. I heard that peope in Florida was talking about him and I believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, he would be in the big leagues right now if it wasn't for his arm problems! :lol:

I hear that an injection of WD40 will take care of a creaky elbow. Don't go for any of that cortisone though, that's like putting a foreign substance in your body. We all know WD40 works on anything. Good luck on your son's lucrative future.

Old Timer and Slyder,

Could not agree more with both of you. I too have a young pitcher who has a good, but exploding slider, along with a scroogie, and splitter. This may sound cruel but we are hoping for severe enough elbow injury to tighten up the elbow with surgery. At that point, we plan to add his velocity. With three or four breaking ball and off-speed pitches, we are sure to win several T-shirts from our travel leagues. Does it not bother you that some coaches and parents want their sons to be good when they get to high school! I say win when you can early and let the school coaches fend for themselves. What size of needle would you need to get the WD-40 into the elbow? shoulder?

My Motto: If your elbow ain't swelling, your not throwing enough sliders!