Trying to teach my son "submarine" style pitching

ccriders25

Good stuff guys! I can see where treading water w/ a 50 pound weight can help lung capacity too. And as much as I am for driving a child to perfection with practice, you have to teach them work ethic as well. Do not let them quit their 4am paper route before school. It builds character.

I have found that a good off season workout on the submarine method is chopping down my cedar trees on my acreage. If your kids need the work out, I'll be happy to help! Love to help kids get ahead... and if they want to throw some signing bonus money my way for caring...so be it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you are doing is going to set your son up for serious arm problems... Trust me I know. I would concetrate on throwing 3 quarters or over the top.

Halls, obviously you haven't been reading all of the expert advise on training as presented on this board. We have certifiable expert opinions from all spans of the state testifying to proven techniques to help CCriders perfect his 9 yr old sons submarine motion and land him that big signing bonus. PLEASE, read all of the advise above before making anymore statements and possibly keeping CCriders from enjoying his early retirement.

Just when I think this thread is about to finally sink from view Slyder, E5, CC, et. al

come up with new and interesting angles. Arm or otherwise.

One good submarine pitching drill that no one has mentioned is the inverted wind-up drill. Having the boy pitch while standing on his head on the mound--and you may need to assist him by holding him up by the ankles when he first starts doing this drill--promotes the proper underhand release form by preventing the kid from throwing overhand. Unless he's got the arm strength to actually plow a furrow with his hand. (Actually, the latter is a good indicator of whether he should become a U-boater; if his arm is strong enough to through the ball through dirt, he should probably keep throwing overhand.)

Just when I think this thread is about to finally sink from view Slyder, E5, CC, et. al

come up with new and interesting angles. Arm or otherwise.

One good submarine pitching drill that no one has mentioned is the inverted wind-up drill. Having the boy pitch while standing on his head on the mound--and you may need to assist him by holding him up by the ankles when he first starts doing this drill--promotes the proper underhand release form by preventing the kid from throwing overhand. Unless he's got the arm strength to actually plow a furrow with his hand. (Actually, the latter is a good indicator of whether he should become a U-boater; if his arm is strong enough to through the ball through dirt, he should probably keep throwing overhand.)

You are exactly right! The only problems a kid can develop with this method is the occassional head ache or worse...it could ruin a white hate. I love white hates.

I am anxiously awaiting E5's clinic on defending the kickball slash and steal. A kickballer showing the push early has a tendancy to get some kids out of position for the steal. I have some personal theories on defending this...but E5 appears to have traveled these unchartered waters before. And I must admit, my area of expertise is getting kids ready for the Bigs. :P

Whether you take these postings on this topic as serious or silly, I would wager that at least 90% of them have been posted by the same person with different screen names. Someone out there is carrying on a conversation with themselves.

Well, if your wife won't listen to you, it's obvious somebody in here will.... :P

P.S. I ain't CCriders, E5 nor Slyder. If they are all the same person, more power to them. Lots of ingenius conversation and sarcasm to break up an otherwise dull day here and there. I enjoy it and that's all that matters to me, well, that and that rope burn on my little girl's forehead.

Edited by Old Timer

Touche'. I am nobody but slyder and a baseball expert and given a couple days I'll be a kickball expert. I am also a expert at getting kids to the next level. As for the rope burns on your little girls forehead...use some of the vasiline your son is using for his spitters. It will ease the pain.

And lastly...I happen to enjoy hearing myself talk!

Whether you take these postings on this topic as serious or silly, I would wager that at least 90% of them have been posted by the same person with different screen names. Someone out there is carrying on a conversation with themselves.

It's probably really Robin Williams.

I found this image of Kent Tekulve working on the inverted drill during spring training in '79. Note the development of the neck muscles and the flailing of the legs to maintain balance. Muscle and balance enhancement are also benefits of the drill.

InvertedDrill.jpg

:) The same person? Say it ain't so Joe. I'm saving my pennies for the kickball camp. I've got a 6 year old phenom that can kick with either foot with or without backspin. He's a stud pitcher too, but I hear what some of you guys are saying about the submarine style. He's throwing sub from the right side and bringing it over the top lefty. What a blessing to have an amphibious phenom in the family.

:) The same person? Say it ain't so Joe. I'm saving my pennies for the kickball camp. I've got a 6 year old phenom that can kick with either foot with or without backspin. He's a stud pitcher too, but I hear what some of you guys are saying about the submarine style. He's throwing sub from the right side and bringing it over the top lefty. What a blessing to have an amphibious phenom in the family.

Does he swim too?

It's probably really Robin Williams.

I found this image of Kent Tekulve working on the inverted drill during spring training in '79. Note the development of the neck muscles and the flailing of the legs to maintain balance. Muscle and balance enhancement are also benefits of the drill.

InvertedDrill.jpg

Classic! I wondered where these stove top hats the Pirates wore came from. Obviously for balance for the inverted style submarine pitcher. :)