Coach of the Year

MakoShark

There is no doubt that Brad Dyer should be the coach of the year, but there should be no disrespect given to the coach who was there before him....Although Coach Dyer might have coaching tactics that you think are better than that of the coach that was there beforehand, you have to remember that the coach that was there before Coach Dyer set the standard for USJ baseball......

I meant no disrespect to the former coach. He obviously was a good coach but so is Coach Dyer. It is just time that Coach Dyer gets some credit for what he has accomplished.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt that Brad Dyer should be the coach of the year, but there should be no disrespect given to the coach who was there before him....Although Coach Dyer might have coaching tactics that you think are better than that of the coach that was there beforehand, you have to remember that the coach that was there before Coach Dyer set the standard for USJ baseball......

Who do you think gave Brad Dyer a shot to even be a coach on his staff, and to do the things that Coach Carey did before he ever got there speaks for his coaching abilities. Coach Carey made that program and in only a seven year span won 3 state titles. I believe Coach Carey new a whole lot about what he was doing and I for one wish he would come back to coaching the game he is so good at coaching. :lol:

Who do you think gave Brad Dyer a shot to even be a coach on his staff, and to do the things that Coach Carey did before he ever got there speaks for his coaching abilities. Coach Carey made that program and in only a seven year span won 3 state titles. I believe Coach Carey new a whole lot about what he was doing and I for one wish he would come back to coaching the game he is so good at coaching. :P

One state championship with a roster that was already prepped and ready for a run does not make you coach of the year the following year especially in light of a lackluster performance against the school's most heated rivalry. Yes, JCS is a good team but USJ played a complacent game and that speaks directly to the coach. He may end up being coach of the year and will deserve it if so, but it is too early to place that vote yet.

One state championship with a roster that was already prepped and ready for a run does not make you coach of the year the following year especially in light of a lackluster performance against the school's most heated rivalry. Yes, JCS is a good team but USJ played a complacent game and that speaks directly to the coach. He may end up being coach of the year and will deserve it if so, but it is too early to place that vote yet.

Yeah, I'm sure the one bad game last night will weigh heavily on the voting after this season. :P I guess you're right though. Winning a championship, having it stripped, and continuing to compete at a very high level in a "higher" classification says nothing about the coach. However, one loss on a night where the team is not playing to the best of their ability speaks directly to the coach. Besides no one counts a game on the record when Tall Paul is behind the plate!! :lol:

Edited by wes_c_addle

Yea, I'm sure the one bad game last night will weigh heavily on the voting after this season. :lol: I guess you're right though. Winning a championship, having it stripped, and continuing to compete at a very high level in a "higher" classification says nothing about the coach. However, one loss on a night where the team is not playing to the best of their ability speaks directly to the coach. Besides no one counts a game on the record when Tall Paul is behind the plate!! :P

Point taken. :P However, it if the team does not play to the best of their ability or even close in the following weeks there will be no more posts to read about that team, and yes it does speak directly to the coach IMO, which may not mean too much anyway. Thanks for the banter.

This Coach has accomplished/overcome the following this year:

-His School/Team has overcome the arbitrary TSSAA 1.8 enrollment increase, which moved them from Single A to Double AA, to post a current record of 19-4-1.

-He has Coached his Team to the current #1 TBCA AA Ranking.

-He has coached his Team to overcome the School being stripped (from the Record Book only) of it's 2005 Class A State Title. A major accomplishment that not just anyone could have done.

-He has Coached his team to be the best defensive Team possibly ever @ his school and that says a lot because this school has won several Class A Championships in recent years.

-His School/team has a reputation for being an explosive offensive machine. Early in the year when his Team was struggling at the plate he Coached his Team to play "smallball" which allowed them to keep winning until the bats came around.

-He has taken a player who the "much ballyhooed" former coach at this School said was a Catcher and also said "you have the worst curve ball I've ever seen" and turned him into an All-State College Signee. This player would likely never have had the opportunity to pitch if this Coach had not had the opportunity to Coach him and recognize the ability that the former "much ballyhooed' coach missed.

-He has played a key role in developing probably the best 10th Grade Pitcher in the State into a pitcher who is already being Scouted by the likes of Tennessee.

-He recognized the ability of a young Freshman Infielder last year who had never played the position and has played a key role in developing him into the best defensive Shortstop I have seen this year ( I have seen Covington's D-I signee and Germantown's D-I Signee and this Sophomore is a better defensive player).

-He has Coached a very raw but very determined and talented 9th Grader to become one of the best defensive and offensive 3rd/1st Basemen in his District. This 9th Grader has made 2 of the best 5 defensive plays I've seen this year.

-He has taken a very talented but raw 8th Grader and Coached him to a level of pitching to compete and best the likes of South Doyle.

-Due to an early season injury to his star Catcher, he Coached an 8th Grader to play well enough to allow his team to play Germantown to a 3-2 loss.

-His Team is undefeated in one of the toughest AA Districts in State and has already clinched the #1 Seed.

-He has Coached his Team into a position to make a legitimate run at the State AA Title when most did not think his Team could compete in AA.

THE 2006 AA REGULAR SEASON COACH OF THE YEAR SHOULD BE USJ"S COACH BRAD DYER!!!

I THINK I AM ABOUT TO BE SICK! :P

Jimmy Carey taught him everything he knows and he owes 95% of his success to him. Don't ever diss Coach Carey.

I THINK I AM ABOUT TO BE SICK! :)

Jimmy Carey taught him everything he knows and he owes 95% of his success to him. Don't ever diss Coach Carey.

Not likely, and no one was "dissing" Carey. To say one coach is good and deserving recognition is not to say the prior coach wasn't very good also. I bet you won't find many people in life that owe 95% of their success, in any field, to 1 other person!!

Yo dude, don't go getting sick on the keyboard, it's not worth it. :) I didn't take the post as a slam on Jimmy. He was an good coach with outstanding results. :) Dyer's success does not take anything away from Carey, nor does Carey deserve the credit for 95% of Dyer's coaching successess. Last years team included several players that never played for Carey, and this year there are more that didn't play for him than did. As a matter of fact, there are only a couple that even saw any playing time under Carey. Sadly, time moves on, and that era is history. Maybe someday he will decide to return to baseball. That could get interesting. B)

Exactly which of my list of accomplishments do you dispute?

Again, nothing in my post was meant to discredit the former coach. He did a great job while at USJ and deserves credit for what he and his teams accomplished. However, it is way past time that you folks stop saying he is to only reason why USJ continues to win. USJ is a force this year and will be for years to come.

No doubt in my mind.

Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ Russ

i would like to mention 3 coaches that i think have done a great job;

dyer-usj

duncan-bolton

nesbit-germantown

i know that a lot of coaches have done great jobs across the state but i know in west tn. that these 3 guys have done outstanding jobs this year. i don't think that coach dyer gets enough credit for keeping a good program going.(i saw a qoute about playing in the big leagues-easier to get there than to stay) i think this is happening at usj.coach duncan - bolton won 6 games last year and i know that they had some injuries last year about they have made great improvements. coach nesbit's team is used by several coaches in the area as an example for how hard they play and with the energy that they play with. i should know because all 3 of these teams have beat my team this spring, so i have seen first hand.