Possible Draft Picks from high school

l-tizzle8004

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised to see Borum and Lucas rated over Lockwood. Not that they aren't both outstanding players - they both absolutely are - but Lockwood seems to have the higher upside and versitility among those prospects.

Halls types - what schools are Borum and Lucas getting hard offers from?

Borum has signed with Cleveland State and Trey has full offers from Austin Peay and Walters State, but I think is trying to see if any D1 schools come calling. I know Kentucky is talking to him but they are not sure if they have money and will not know until after the draft. Lawson is getting offers from King College and is being talked to by Cleveland State and Chattanooga State.

2006 Baseball America (Tennessee Players & Ranking)

#83 Kyler Burke

#146 Mike Minor

#156 Richie Goodenow

#199 Nathan Baker

#226 Travis Borum

#296 Trey Lucas

#350 Jeff Lockwood

#383 Rob Catapano

With the 4 year college players, JC players & high school players it may be difficult for any of these guys to be drafted before the 5th round. I am not sure that any of them will be offered enough money to stay away from college.

Not sure exactly when these rankings came out but Kyler Burke was one of 35 players selected in nation for All-American game. Given his stats and what little I know about him I could see him projecting in the middle of the first round. Someone said the GM of the NY mets came to see him play in person normally, a GM does not travel around to watch a 5th round high school pick. Might wanna reevaluate your projection. Or maybe I am totally wrong.

Not sure exactly when these rankings came out but Kyler Burke was one of 35 players selected in nation for All-American game. Given his stats and what little I know about him I could see him projecting in the middle of the first round. Someone said the GM of the NY mets came to see him play in person normally, a GM does not travel around to watch a 5th round high school pick. Might wanna reevaluate your projection. Or maybe I am totally wrong.

I don't know about 1st round for any of these guys....5 weeks though and we'll see.

Lucas is a catcher and Borum plays ss, I think.

That is correct. Borum is a shortstop and Lucas is a catcher.

For Deviledhornet, Austin Peay is an NCAA D1 school, and it has a very good baseball program.

Very few schools, even the upper echelon of the NCAA (SEC, ACC, etc.), give full baseball rides. The NCAA only allows 11.2 scholarships per D1 school. Unlike football and baseball schollys at the D1-A and D1-AA level, baseball scholarships can be split among players so more players can be on scholarship. Going back to when I played college baseball in the late 70 up until the present, it is rare for a baseball prospect to get anything more than about a half scholarship of baseball money. Baseball players are eligible for the same need based financial aid as any other student, and that along with any academic or other scholarships they may qualify for often add up to a full ride.

That is correct. Borum is a shortstop and Lucas is a catcher.

For Deviledhornet, Austin Peay is an NCAA D1 school, and it has a very good baseball program.

Very few schools, even the upper echelon of the NCAA (SEC, ACC, etc.), give full baseball rides. The NCAA only allows 11.2 scholarships per D1 school. Unlike football and baseball schollys at the D1-A and D1-AA level, baseball scholarships can be split among players so more players can be on scholarship. Going back to when I played college baseball in the late 70 up until the present, it is rare for a baseball prospect to get anything more than about a half scholarship of baseball money. Baseball players are eligible for the same need based financial aid as any other student, and that along with any academic or other scholarships they may qualify for often add up to a full ride.

I know that Austin Peay is D1. I was meaning that he is possibly waiting on an offer from a major D1 school. As for money I know that he was offered everything but a meal ticket. Tuition, room and board and books from Austin Peay. Walters State matched that and gave him the meal ticket so it would be 100% paid for.